Vehicles that can carry 3 car seats and gear?

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
So my wife and I were planning on having a second baby. We then found out that we are having twins in January! I will now have a 2.5 year old and two newborns. I don't know if my 2003 4runner will be that great having 3 car seats in the same row. This will just be fire road/road trip/car camping vehicle.
My Current vehicles:
1977 Toyota fj40
1992 Lexus LS400
2003 Toyota 4runner

So the question is: If you wanted a 4x4 that can fit 3 cars seats what would it be?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I am a XJ guy to the core to ths point that I put a 3rd row seat in it to make it work for my 4 kids. If I had the money I would say a toyota Sequoia or a Chevy/Gmc Suburban or tahoe With a mild lift and larger tires.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Congrats on the twins (you poor sucker)!

So the question is: If you wanted a 4x4 that can fit 3 cars seats what would it be?

attachment.php

I think you want whatever just barely fits the seats. Too wide and too high a rig will make it a challenge to reach that middle seat. I think your 4Runner is probably perfect. If that doesn't work, maybe a minivan with the middle seat out?

Marsh99

I am a XJ guy to the core to ths point that I put a 3rd row seat in it to make it work for my 4 kids. If I had the money I would say a toyota Sequoia or a Chevy/Gmc Suburban or tahoe With a mild lift and larger tires.
I have thought about 3rd row seating in my 4runner since it was an option in its generation model.

boogie_4wheel

If the squeeze is too tight in the Runner, I would be looking at a Tahoe to replace it; pull the 3rd row if you want and have room for all stuff, or leave it in and keep the kids separate so they don't steal each others M&Ms as they get bigger. As the older one grows, you can shove him/her in the back and can buckle/unbuckle itself.

Tahoe
Newer Runner
Land Cruiser you always wanted?

Do you want/need low range or body on frame? That would open up to the crossovers a little more for the 'family' vehicle. We absolutely love our Buick Enclave (though it hasn't touched more dirt than the 100yds of road base to my parents house). The Traverse/Acadia/Enclave platform might be worth a look; ours has 2nd row captains (7-pass total) and is friggin awesome as a road trip vehicle.

And that bigass double mega long bed thing has been parked just up Redwood from me (NSL). I have no idea what those guys do up there, they just moved in, but there is a lot of money being spent on diesel toys and there is an adequate amount of 2.5 and 5T military in good condition all over the place. I've got to stop in there and see

Last edited:

Marsh99

Congrats on the twins (you poor sucker)!

I think you want whatever just barely fits the seats. Too wide and too high a rig will make it a challenge to reach that middle seat. I think your 4Runner is probably perfect. If that doesn't work, maybe a minivan with the middle seat out?

I am a sucker. I tried to plan these things out to not have to many wee ones too fast and ended up with twins. Mini-van is not allowed to be talked about with my wife right now if i want to live to see the twins.

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
100 Series Landcruiser or Sequoia. I just drove 7 people (4 were kids) in my LC to get breakfast this morning. No problems with car seats.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
You'll love twins. We twin at our house.
Everyone at the grocery store is going to tell you about their aunts cousins babysitter who also has twins.

We have had a few different vehicles with 3 car seats. The car seats make the difference. There can be like an 8" difference in the width of car seats. We just bought the skinniest available (typically about 16" each)
You will have to be patient as you get them buckled, and figure out the best order of doing them.
Other wise you are onto vehicles with a 3rd row... Which means your gear space goes down.

Marsh99

You'll love twins. We twin at our house.
Everyone at the grocery store is going to tell you about their aunts cousins babysitter who also has twins.

We have had a few different vehicles with 3 car seats. The car seats make the difference. There can be like an 8" difference in the width of car seats. We just bought the skinniest available (typically about 16" each)
You will have to be patient as you get them buckled, and figure out the best order of doing them.
Other wise you are onto vehicles with a 3rd row... Which means your gear space goes down.

Everyone I talk to tells me about a set of twins they knew. Then people ask how long my wife and were trying and what fertility drug we were using. I have to tell them we weren't trying very long (1 month) and I guess I just won the lottery because no drugs were needed.

I really like the idea of buying skinny car seats because I am not in love with any 3rd row options right now.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have to say I love our armada. I'm a huge Chevy guy but the armada is better. I love how much room we had for three car seats. And the leg room was enough that they could not kick the back of my seat as they got older. A big plus. We also really like how the third row folds down flat. We have our cargo room when we need it and can flip it up when unexpected friends join us. I wish the Tahoe would have this feature. I rely want one but that one feature my be a deal breaker.

sixstringsteve

"But honey, it's not a minivan. It's a Swagger Wagon."

toyota-ultimate-utility-vehicle.jpg

Dude, I would so drive one of those, especially knowing it's on a tacoma chassis. If it had sliding rear doors and the storage of the regular siennas I'd be the first one in line.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've got a Sequoia and it's great for what it is. I would love to stick a 3" lift on it and some 285's but with my luck I couldn't get it in the garage after. -_- I believe I've had 3 car seats in the middle row, I had 4 kids in car seats or boosters at one point and I think the oldest got stuck in the back when she could buckle herself up. It's a lot easier to fit if one kid is in a booster than the fullsize car seats.
If I were looking for something that didn't spend 95% of it's time going to the store and back I'd look at a 1st Gen Tundra if nothing else just for the bed (front bench seat so I can bring a 4th kid would be nice also).

Another one that has caught my eye is the Lexus GX 470 they have a 3rd row but I think it's probably harder to get in the 3rd row than a Sequoia, it's fine once your kids have got old enough but if they are in car seats I would make sure you can fit 3 across.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Don't laugh. but a Range Rover Long wheel base would be perfect. There is 8 inches of extra room behind the front seats which makes it perfect for baby seats. its also just wide enough for all those seats. I'll post a picture here in a second. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to fix up. they are pretty big inside. Its like a limo. Here is a picture with me in the back. I'm 5'-10", I have loads of legroom in it. Which is nice because those rear facing baby seats are always hitting the back of the seat in my Disco. Luckily I only have two baby seats in it.

11695814_10153067334080028_8132362326430827845_n.jpg

1514970_10153067334095028_2324782931390946846_n.jpg

11751459_10153067334115028_5837840325859892874_n.jpg

11695475_10153067334205028_3897421951680644696_n.jpg

Last edited: