VERY SLOW SEQUOIA Build

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So as you may have seen, I lost my mind and got rid of my BMW 525 for a 2007 Toyota Seqouia SR5.

This is probably stupid to do since i already have another project Range Rover.:rofl: And i have to do the modifications slow and without the wife knowing.:D

Goals:

Safely travel on the highway, fireroads and moderate 4 wheeling. Camping rig

So here she is:

1150752_10151583464540028_1408201017_o.jpg

SPECS:

• 4.7L V8: 273HP / 314 FT LBS DOHC
  • 5 Speed Auto
  • 4x4
  • 4.10 Axle Gears
  • Center Diff Lock
  • ATRAC
  • 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT's
  • Crappy aftermarket 16" wheels
  • 26 Gallon Fuel Tank

Comfort and Convenience:

• 8 Passenger
  • Leather
  • Rear Entertainment
  • Heated Seats
  • 6 Disc Changer
  • Tape Player :confused:
  • Power: windows, seats, mirrors, rear cargo window
  • Rear heat and air conditioning
  • Cruise control

Initial Plans:

• Leveling kit
  • LED Light Bar
  • Roof Rack
  • Sub-woofer
  • Shocks
  • iPod integrations (DONE)

Long Range Plans:
  • new headlights (current ones are cloudy and warped, i tried buffing them out with limited success)
  • real lift kit
  • ARB front bumper from a Tundra
  • 10000 LBS Winch

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The first MOD

I was going to go for a double din unit in my new Tree. I wanted to be able to have bluetooth and iPod control. after looking around i purchased a Grom iPod and Bluetooth adapter. It works pretty good. i like it so far. i've only had my tree for a week now, and i installed the GROM audio adapter last Saturday. It took all of 30 minutes to install and get working.

1170673_10151595966550028_1298588846_n.jpg

1174846_10151595967285028_1689618732_n.jpg

1174649_10151595968365028_1381563596_n.jpg

971822_10151595968765028_923189874_n.jpg

1094962_10151595969890028_874272776_n.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
she said i can't do anything to it. but i'll wear her down. i'll talk about doing it. then she will get tired of my indecision and say pull the trigger. its her rig, she'll find out as things happen.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
she said i can't do anything to it. but i'll wear her down. i'll talk about doing it. then she will get tired of my indecision and say pull the trigger. its her rig, she'll find out as things happen.

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that trusts me to buy things we need for our cars, but she knows I buy based on purposeful need instead of wants.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My range rover is pretty much where i want it. I'll probably buy some axle gears later on or an ARB rear locker. I really don't spend to much. She just wants me to leave this a lone and not lift it too much.

I'm one of those guys who has to tinker. i get bored and like to work on vehicles. I guess its better then a lot of other things I could be doing instead. Her main concern is driveabilty. i'm not going to do anything to change it though. a leveling kit is $65 and will make it look less like a minivan.

a bumper to protect from deer strikes.

a set of LED lights since it didn't come with any fog lights. and i can't see for crap at night.

Those will be my goals this year. and then we can enjoy it more on back country trips. the rover is for more hardcore trails.

She knows i like to tinker. I save myself a lot of money by not using a mechanic to work on my vehicles.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
My range rover is pretty much where i want it. I'll probably buy some axle gears later on or an ARB rear locker. I really don't spend to much. She just wants me to leave this a lone and not lift it too much.

I'm one of those guys who has to tinker. i get bored and like to work on vehicles. I guess its better then a lot of other things I could be doing instead. Her main concern is driveabilty. i'm not going to do anything to change it though. a leveling kit is $65 and will make it look less like a minivan.

a bumper to protect from deer strikes.

a set of LED lights since it didn't come with any fog lights. and i can't see for crap at night.

Those will be my goals this year. and then we can enjoy it more on back country trips. the rover is for more hardcore trails.

She knows i like to tinker. I save myself a lot of money by not using a mechanic to work on my vehicles.

I have to tinker to maintain my sanity, probably part of the reason we own 5 cars, keeps me busy and out of trouble.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Don't forget a rear bumper/tire carrier, so she doesn't have to crawl under the truck to change the tire. And a set of sliders, so you don't get door dinged.

You're just doing it for her.

Toad

Have you had it long enough to figured out gas mileage? I just bought a 2003 Sequoia and that is my only complaint. I drove to Idaho saturday and was just shy of 15 mpg. Kind of sucks. I would guess you should get a little better with the 5 speed and VVT.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
in town i have a solid 13.5 mpg. that is with lots of stop and go, and my heavy right foot. i test drove a different one and was getting 19.5 mpg.

i'm going back to Wyoming in a week and i'll see what king of mileage i can achieve. i won't be getting 29 mpg going 85 like i was in the old BMW. But its a trade off for more space and 4 wheel drive in this.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My newest mod last night was to check all the fluids in the vehicle. all are nice and clean. I was going to replace the spark plugs, but after pulling 4 of them to check them, they are all new. Someone must have taken good care of this vehicle. Its so weird to not have to do anything mechanical to a vehicle.

So since my frame has some surface rust on it, i grabbed some cans of black spray paint i had lying around and started to paint the frame. I got about half done. I need to do from the rear wheels back.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So i think next up on the list is some off-road lights. this thing doesn't have any fog lights. I can't see for crap at night.

Should i try out some LED's? Are they worth it. How good is the long distance range on those. do they shoot out about 100 yards?

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
My newest mod last night was to check all the fluids in the vehicle. all are nice and clean. I was going to replace the spark plugs, but after pulling 4 of them to check them, they are all new. Someone must have taken good care of this vehicle. Its so weird to not have to do anything mechanical to a vehicle.

How many miles are on it? Most newer Toyotas don't require a whole lot of maintenance for the first 100k. On our 2007 Sienna it says to start looking at the coolant @ 100k and to replace the spark plugs @ 120k. I have almost 80k on mine and just barely replaced the front brakes and the drivers side wheel bearing. Personally, I'll probably do the typical "90k" Toyota maintenance and replace the water pump, timing belt, coolant, etc. Maybe even spark plugs as well. Then, I won't have to worry about it for another 100k miles :thumbs:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...can you call Toyota with a VIN and ask what maintenance has been done?

Assuming the work was done at a Toyota dealership and attached to your VIN, then yes... they can tell you its service history. Doesn't always give you the full story but at least helps you get a feel for its past.