VERY SLOW SEQUOIA Build

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I just picked up a 2002 Sequoia today. It had an issue with the traction control so the VSC/TRAC/ABS lights were all lit up and the traction control and ABS was disabled. I talked the price down due to this. As I drove off after the transfer of paperwork and cash I noticed that the lights were all off, found an ice patch and confirmed that the VSC was functioning. It's definitely annoying. In 2WD mine doesn't cut engine power, it just brakes the wheel with the slip. I'm going to research if anyone has a mod to make the VSC selectable.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I just picked up a 2002 Sequoia today. It had an issue with the traction control so the VSC/TRAC/ABS lights were all lit up and the traction control and ABS was disabled. I talked the price down due to this. As I drove off after the transfer of paperwork and cash I noticed that the lights were all off, found an ice patch and confirmed that the VSC was functioning. It's definitely annoying. In 2WD mine doesn't cut engine power, it just brakes the wheel with the slip. I'm going to research if anyone has a mod to make the VSC selectable.

I believe if you hold down the VSC switch for 10 seconds (maybe longer) mine lights up like that. I'd have to read the manual on a reset but I think it's just a hold for 5 to get things re-enabled.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The only way I have found to limit the VSC is to turn on the center differential locked.

But driving it like that on the street is not good for the drive train

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
i've been reading online, about the only thing i have figured out to do so far to disable the VSC is to unplug the wiring to the master cylinder. but that also disables the traction control.

I think the key is in the center diff lock wiring. it retains the use of the traction contol without the VSC coming into play.

I have a factory service manual for my 2007. i'll have to start looking at wiring diagrams, its probably as easy as wiring in a switch to ground a wire.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've read of guys installing a switch along one of the wheel speed sensor wires to disrupt the circuit, thus defeating the traction control, VSC, and as a side-affect the ABS. I don't care about ABS unless for hwy speeds, in which case I can't see why I would have the TRAC & VSC off in the first place. But for city driving on snow & ice, as well as anything off road I do not like these traction systems.. This is likely what I will do.

I've also read of unplugging the connector from the master cylinder. I'd rather have a ****-pit solution.

I'll have to read about the proper use of the VSC Off button, because it seems to do a whole lot of nothing when I push it.

Toad

My wife just informed me that the rear heater is not blowing very cold. The temp door is switching. So im guessing that I have a restricted heater core :(

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
4x4 2002

IMAG1827.jpg

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
My bad, 2002 not 2012. Mine has a center diff lock as well. I can select high and low via a lever.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
weird. I'll have to take a picture of mine. its all push button. I wish I had a leaver, it takes it forever to switch into 4x4.

While I was on vacation up in Wyoming last week I was with my father-in-law hauling some camping equipment for a scouting group. We were going to take his truck, but took the TREE since its a bit more comfortable.

While we were driving up to the Big Horn Mountains through Greybull Wyoming, I noticed a new Chevy truck off the side of the road in a ditch. Long story short the driver thought he could go 4 Wheeling through a ditch full of hard packed, drifted Wyoming snow. So I pulled over and asked if his Chevy was stuck like a Rock. My father-in-law is a Chevy man so it was pretty funny.

I had to get a little into the snow because my strap was not long enough. It took the 4x4 forever to get into 4x4. I turned on the center diff. lock as well so that if I did get pulled in, I could atleast still get out without most of the traction control nannies stopping me. After a couple of pretty hard pulls, my strap broke, and I got sucked down into the ditch. I was able to power out of it though. I cam around again and added my tree strap to the broken tow strap and was able to get the ROCK out.

After that it took a couple tries to get the diff lock off and to return to 2x4. I figured out that by idleling back and forth, it comes out a bit easier.

Going up the mountain, I needed 4x4 again and it came on smooth and easily. It seems to work better when i'm going over 20 mph for some reason. I don't know if its the cold weather or the motor for the shifter is dying. I'm going to have to look into it.

I was pretty impressed it pulled that ROCK out so easily. the guy was buried so deep he couldn't open any of his doors.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Are you still getting around 17mpg? Mine is at 13.8mpg on the first two tanks that I've been tracking, so I'm pretty sure that's what I'm stuck with.

I'm also ripping off your LED bar in the lower bumper (not that you pioneered the spot - but it inspired me to do the same). Picked up a 36" bar to tuck in the 37" hole. :)