Video games.....how do you guys do it?

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I used to really enjoy playing video games, now it seems i have no time to play anything but when I did it was Halo, Halo, Halo. Nothing like having 16 people crammed in your house playing Halo and screaming :rofl:

Now since I started modding them I have no time to play, too much demand in the last six months.

If you want to check out a really good game, go rent LOTR: The Third Age, My buddy Brian hasnt put down the paddle since he started looks like about a 30-35 hour RPG.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
JeeperG said:
Nope Halo 2 on Xbox Live rocks :D And yes I got laid last night Cody :greg:

Halo 2 on live does indeed rock! I keep a non modded xbox just to play it sometimes!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think you guys are leaving out a major part of the equation. Your average gamer junkie (addict) is gonna be a pimple faced, beanpole shaped, unsure of themself, pubescent boy. How many chicks are really gonna notice him? Maybe right now he is working on his self esteem, building up his courage off of the circuit? Maybe he doesn't enjoy sports, or physical exertion, or sunlight. Maybe this is his social outlet, the only pool in his range. :hickey:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Cody said:
I know you Xbox guys have your doubts about the smaller portable game systems such as the Game boy, but I think you are missing out on a great opportunity here.

Here me out. Say you divert 10% of your monthly budget for pogs, Magik cards, and Xbox games into a game boy and a few select games. Say, for instance, fate finds you hanging out with friends---or say a girl (one on one (icky I know)). After the initial shock wears off you always need to find someway to ground yourself. You can excuse yourself to the bathroom, get in a few quick minutes of Game Boy and Blam!!! you're back in the mix! You now have a way to mask the uncomfortable pains that are ever-present in social interaction with the familiar solace of gaming!! Think of the opportunities. This could be the coolest thing since D&D!!!

Cody
Pogs I never really understood... Whoever has the most cardboard disks wins? Yeah, you're real cool kid. :D

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
SRN said:
Pogs I never really understood... Whoever has the most cardboard disks wins? Yeah, you're real cool kid. :D

Pogs, Pokemon.... those were things I could and never will understand...

kyojin

Video game junkie here. 25 years old, married, full time job, etc. I grew up in the days when Nintendo was the big thing. I played a lot of video games back then and I play a lot now. A lot of people who grew up playing NES/SNES/Sega/Sega Genesis still play video games. Its evolved to X-box,PS2, and GC.

I probably play about 10-20 hours a week on Halo 2 X-box live. Just because someone plays a lot of video games does not make them a "loser". "Nintendo generation" gamers are now in their mid-late 20's. Its hard to classify the typical gamer as a "pimple faced, beanpole shaped, unsure of themself, pubescent boy".

Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA) did research and found that the average age of gamers is 28 years old. 61% of gamers are 18 years old and older. http://www.idsa.com/releases/4-21-2000.html

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Hickey said:
Your average gamer junkie (addict) is gonna be a pimple faced, beanpole shaped, unsure of themself, pubescent boy. How many chicks are really gonna notice him? Maybe right now he is working on his self esteem, building up his courage off of the circuit? Maybe he doesn't enjoy sports, or physical exertion, or sunlight. Maybe this is his social outlet, the only pool in his range. :hickey:

you hit it on the head

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
kyojin said:
Video game junkie here. 25 years old, married, full time job, etc. I grew up in the days when Nintendo was the big thing. I played a lot of video games back then and I play a lot now. A lot of people who grew up playing NES/SNES/Sega/Sega Genesis still play video games. Its evolved to X-box,PS2, and GC.

I probably play about 10-20 hours a week on Halo 2 X-box live. Just because someone plays a lot of video games does not make them a "loser". "Nintendo generation" gamers are now in their mid-late 20's. Its hard to classify the typical gamer as a "pimple faced, beanpole shaped, unsure of themself, pubescent boy".

Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA) did research and found that the average age of gamers is 28 years old. 61% of gamers are 18 years old and older. http://www.idsa.com/releases/4-21-2000.html

Computer junkie here. I get a little bit more involved with gaming in the winter because it's another way to pass time. I can't get into the newer console systems that are out now. I used to be big into the nintendo and super nintendo systems as a kid. I just can't justify buying an xbox or ps2 because the same games are available on pc. I spend more time with graphics and other computer crap than I ever will on a game though. Yeah, I'm a computer nerd. :eek:

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Herzog said:
Computer junkie here. I get a little bit more involved with gaming in the winter because it's another way to pass time. I can't get into the newer console systems that are out now. I used to be big into the nintendo and super nintendo systems as a kid. I just can't justify buying an xbox or ps2 because the same games are available on pc. I spend more time with graphics and other computer crap than I ever will on a game though. Yeah, I'm a computer nerd. :eek:

I agree, 28, full time military, married, 2 kids, 2 jeeps, bored, gotta kill time somehow waiting for more money for parts to show up. Besides Medal Of Honor rocks, almost all the folks I play with around the US are in there 30's to 40's, retired, employed, etc.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I at least can understand why a pimple faced bean pole would play video games. The older people--especially married with children, should more productive things to do than spend countless hours playing video games. I'm single, 24, and I have no problem finding productive things to do with my time.

But different strokes, like I said.

Cody

I don't mean for that to be rude. I understand that different people enjoy different types of entertainment. I just have a difficult time relating to staring at a screen for hours a time when there are so many other things to do. In ten years, you'r not going to remember that one game you beat xxxslayerxxx1221 on the internet, but you might remember that hike you went on with your kids, or that time you learned to kayak, or that book you read, or that person you met etc........but we all place different values on different things.

If I had 20 free hours a week, I would spend it on getting a masters degree or furthering myself in that way. I don't, so pursuits like that are on hold, but I would do something like that that when I"m finished I can stand and say I accomplished something, not that I beat Halo2 in 22 hours.

Cody

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Cody said:
.... I just have a difficult time relating to staring at a screen for hours a time when there are so many other things to do. In ten years, you'r not going to remember that one game you beat xxxslayerxxx1221 on the internet, but you might remember that hike you went on with your kids, or that time you learned to kayak, or that book you read, or that person you met etc........but we all place different values on different things....

Agreed...

I would rather be outside in the snow then sitting in front of a mindless computer game. Bored, broke, go for a hike, write a letter to a congressman urging him to keep a trail open. Read a history book, learn a new language... but video games.. WTF? And they are not FREE? Spend the money on something better... like joining a 4x4 club, or keeping a trail open.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Out of curiosity, is there anyone out there that thinks that in 5-10-15-20 years they will regret not playing video games more than they did? That they will regret not being able to spend 20 hour per week playing video games?

If you honestly think that is the best use for time then thats awesome. I look to further myself, to learn more about myself and the world around me. I want to make some sort of positive impact on the world both for myself, and for future generations---playing video games does nothing to further that agenda.

But thats just me. I will not ever regret not playing video games for 20 hours per week.

Cody

GR4x4

Stop the MADNESS
Cody said:
But thats just me. I will not ever regret not playing video games for 20 hours per week.

Cody

I'm with you on that one Cody. I feel like there are a lot more things that you could do to better yourself and the people around you then play video games.
I wonder if the game thing has an impact on the fact that America is fat. They don't do anything active just sit on a coach with potatos chips and McDonalds.

Don't take this wrong some people can't help to be over wieght but those that play games all day could do something about it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
GR4x4 said:
...Don't take this wrong some people can't help to be over wieght but those that play games all day could do something about it.

There is a scientific correlatation with child obesity and the amount of television/vide games played.. it is slowly killing America.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think of it this way, in 10 years, what am I going to regret more.....the 5 hours per week I spent mentoring a child in teh big brothers program.....the 5 hours per week I spent working for the u4wda.....or the 5 hours I missed out on playing Halo 2 on the xbox?

Cody

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Hey cody no offense but we all know your position on video games so why don't you just drop it. Anymore your typical gamer is a college going/graduate who is improving him/herself anyways. Pimpled faced gamers are in the past. About the only time I play is late at night after improving myself for about 14hrs that day. To tired to go to they gym, to late to mentor, don't care to socialize with bar flys caring more STD's than Paris Hilton, don't feel like reading as I've been reading for about 8hrs in some form or another, I just want to relax in my own home. So rather than turn on the useless dribble of sitcom and reality TV I'll flip on my xbox where I can be hanging out with my friends (from SLC, and around the world) and play a game to releave some stress. Playing video games has been equated to playing poker with the buddies anymore. It used to be you'd go to your buddies house to play poker with the guys, now its play xbox with em through LAN or XBOX live. I have no regrets for the time I've spent relaxing playing video games. So I'm sorry I'm not the outstanding citizen you are Cody, but I'm no pimple faced albino obesse gamer. I'm a geek yes, but that comes from my pursuit of 3 majors as the residing president of the Westminster chapter of the society for physics students, but the women like this geek alot! ;)

Freelancer

Moderhater
Video Games Are Cool...

Bottom line is that video games are cool (especially networked xboxes and halo and halo2) but there are also other things in the world to spend your time doing, I don't know, like off-roading? :D

Ken

I would rather look for some hot T and A then spend the night playing games like a couple of my buddys do. Damn virgins!!!!LOL

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Ken said:
I would rather look for some hot T and A then spend the night playing games like a couple of my buddys do. Damn virgins!!!!LOL
Go waste your money paying to look at em all you want, I'd rather play with em for free! :D:D Damn pervs!!!! LOL