Vintage Vehicle Registration

Swoop69

I just went to the DMV to get my 1970 Jeepster Convertible registered, and asked about vintage plates. I already had my inspection and emissions done, but was told that if you register your vehicle as "vintage" that you dont need emissions. even though mine is a '70. Plus the registration was less, and annual renewals are less.

the reasoning behind this is that these vehicles are for car shows and parades, not every day driving, so they wont pollute as much or have as much wear and tear on roads, ect. The lady at the DMV kinda roller her eyes and said, we dont track miliage, so there is no way to enforce that. to qualify for vintage, it has to be 40 years old or more, in classic condition (again, no inspection by DMV to quailfy as original or classic), and not a daily driver.

What a pleasent experience at the DMV!:greg:

Brad J

Thanks for the Info. I got my 70 Scout inspected yesterday and $69.60 for re-registration is too much for a vehicle that is driven 10 miles a year. I'll have to stop by the DMV and get some new plates now:D

SnwMnkys

So do we just ask about vintage registration when we get down there? Im in the process of sorting out emissions. I failed HC at idle and have hopefully fixed the problem, find out when I retest. But would like to take advantage of this next year.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Good to know! Hopefully it won't get abused and changed like most things.

That's what happened back in Jersey when I lived there. They have pretty strict lift laws and some of the boys did this to get around it. Once the state caught on they changed it so they still had to go in for visual inspection to be sure of mileage as well as condition of the vehicle.

Houndoc

That's what happened back in Jersey when I lived there. They have pretty strict lift laws and some of the boys did this to get around it. Once the state caught on they changed it so they still had to go in for visual inspection to be sure of mileage as well as condition of the vehicle.

Abuse of anything can cause it to be lost. I can see using it on a trail rig, but a DD is asking for trouble, or loss of the licensing option.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Abuse of anything can cause it to be lost. I can see using it on a trail rig, but a DD is asking for trouble, or loss of the licensing option.

These were weekend warrior vehicles. If a cop saw your registration as an antique or classic and you didn't look stock they would stop you and give you a nice size ticket and strip your inspection.

Brad J

So do we just ask about vintage registration when we get down there? Im in the process of sorting out emissions. I failed HC at idle and have hopefully fixed the problem, find out when I retest. But would like to take advantage of this next year.

I got my Safety & Emissions certificates, filled out this form & printed it out
http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-817.pdf
Section 4 is where you select Vintage. Took the papers into the DMV. Paid $69.50 for the Registration on the current plates + $63 for the new plates ($50 for personalized plate application, $5 Special Group Plate Fee, $3 Plate Postage & Handling, $5 Plate Fee). So total for me came to $132.50 but would have been cheaper if I didn't go for personalized plates. Now no more emissions are needed. I think the lady that helped me said something like "you don't need to bring the saftey inspection in with you now but always leave it in the car.":confused: I didn't ask any questions & ran out the door.

If yours doesn't pass emissions, I would just take your Safety certificate into the DMV with the application. Or you could say your Tacoma's roommate:rofl:

Swoop69

Another important thing to note is when dealing with older vehicles, often times you can get classic car insurance from Hagerty and some others that makes your insurance soooo much cheaper. you have to submitt pics and have a pretty clean driving record, but you can get $5k full coverage for around $100 per year. Unfortunatly I dont have such a squeaky clean record... maybe next year some things will drop off and I will qualify.