What books are you reading (or listening to?)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll kick it off. I could easily be accused of being a bibliophile. My collection is almost exclusively history based texts on Utah and our neighboring States. Native Americans, trappers and hunters, prospectors & miners, pioneers, railroad, geology, you get the point. Non-fiction, full frontal nerdery about Utah's history.

A recent addition was 'Prepared' by Mike Glover (with a forward by Jack Carr). While it's outside my regular reading genre, I couldn't put the book down and found Mike's matter-of-fact way of outlining everyday and big picture preparedness most insightful. The book exposed some holes in my own daily and emergency preparedness and introduced some great planning methods I'll incorporate into my daily work, travel and household life. Thanks for the great book!

20230727_100241.jpg

DesertRam

Been teeny bopping with my 14-year old daughter listening to "Skyward" by Brandon Sanderson. I like the way he finished Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, so we gave this a shot. Its not a bad teenage sci-fi book.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've been on a French literature kick for the past couple years.
I've listened to many significant Alexandre Dumas works and also almost every Maurice Leblanc (his character: Arsene Lupine) story written.
Currently finishing the Dumas' musketeer cycle of books (there are 8 depending on how you split them up) ending with The Man in the Iron Mask.
Dumas was clearly a master and there is a reason we are still reading Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers nearly 200 years after they were written.

Tonkaman

I'll kick it off. I could easily be accused of being a bibliophile. My collection is almost exclusively history based texts on Utah and our neighboring States. Native Americans, trappers and hunters, prospectors & miners, pioneers, railroad, geology, you get the point. Non-fiction, full frontal nerdery about Utah's history.

A recent addition was 'Prepared' by Mike Glover (with a forward by Jack Carr). While it's outside my regular reading genre, I couldn't put the book down and found Mike's matter-of-fact way of outlining everyday and big picture preparedness most insightful. The book exposed some holes in my own daily and emergency preparedness and introduced some great planning methods I'll incorporate into my daily work, travel and household life. Thanks for the great book!

View attachment 162642
Prepared was an excellent book. If you liked that you should definitely read Tim Kennedys book “Scars and Stripes”. His candid retelling of his past is shockingly honest and honest inspiring

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I've never been able to get through anything inspiring but am a big fiction nerd.

Currently on the long trek through the Wheel of Time series. I think I started back in October and am on book 10 now... Suckers are long!

DesertRam

I've never been able to get through anything inspiring but am a big fiction nerd.

Currently on the long trek through the Wheel of Time series. I think I started back in October and am on book 10 now... Suckers are long!
Good stuff! I first started the series in the mid-90s, reading the three or four that were available. I set those aside for many years, but restarted when there were 11 books. That's about when RJ died and his wife worked with BS to take over the "final" book. BS reviewed RJ's notes and realized there was way too much material for just one book, so I waited for the final three, then restarted and read all 14 in a marathon, which I finished earlier this year.

Thursty

I love this idea for a thread! Bravo @cruiseroutfit!

In my previous life as an LEO I read numerous book regarding my craft. The short list being all books by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman (On Killing, On Combat, Warrior Mindset, Stop Teaching our Kids to Kill), and Leadership in the Shadows by Kyle Lamb and Matt Bucella. I never got to Jocko Willink’s “Extreme Ownership” before leaving the LEO game but it’s on the short list. I recommend these books for anyone.

After starting work at the museum I’ve had the chance to explore a topic I’ve had an interest in but never was on the forefront for me. Now it is and I’ve been eating up anything on the history of the Green and Colorado Rivers and the Colorado Plateau. Three that I’ve REALLY enjoyed are The Emerald Mile (about the fastest dory trip through the Grand Canyon), The Doing of the Thing (first solo trip down the Green/Colorado/Grand Canyon) and Over The Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon, all excellent reads. Currently I’m reading a signed copy of the now out of print “My Canyonlands” by Kent Frost, who has a storied history on the Colorado Plateau. Good stuff! So much to read, so little time.
IMG_1533.jpeg

Thursty

I've been on a French literature kick for the past couple years.
I've listened to many significant Alexandre Dumas works and also almost every Maurice Leblanc (his character: Arsene Lupine) story written.
Currently finishing the Dumas' musketeer cycle of books (there are 8 depending on how you split them up) ending with The Man in the Iron Mask.
Dumas was clearly a master and there is a reason we are still reading Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers nearly 200 years after they were written.
Count of Monte Cristo 😎IMG_0926.jpeg - IYKYK

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I love this idea for a thread! Bravo @cruiseroutfit!

In my previous life as an LEO I read numerous book regarding my craft. The short list being all books by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman (On Killing, On Combat, Warrior Mindset, Stop Teaching our Kids to Kill), and Leadership in the Shadows by Kyle Lamb and Matt Bucella. I never got to Jocko Willink’s “Extreme Ownership” before leaving the LEO game but it’s on the short list. I recommend these books for anyone.

After starting work at the museum I’ve had the chance to explore a topic I’ve had an interest in but never was on the forefront for me. Now it is and I’ve been eating up anything on the history of the Green and Colorado Rivers and the Colorado Plateau. Three that I’ve REALLY enjoyed are The Emerald Mile (about the fastest dory trip through the Grand Canyon), The Doing of the Thing (first solo trip down the Green/Colorado/Grand Canyon) and Over The Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon, all excellent reads. Currently I’m reading a signed copy of the now out of print “My Canyonlands” by Kent Frost, who has a storied history on the Colorado Plateau. Good stuff! So much to read, so little time.
View attachment 162668

Added that to my wishlist!

Is it worth $70 for a hardcover?

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I just finished "The Obstacle is the Way" by Ryan Holiday and started "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" by Debbie Ford. After that will be "Shop Class as Soulcraft" and then "Vagabonding".

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I just finished "The Obstacle is the Way" by Ryan Holiday and started "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" by Debbie Ford. After that will be "Shop Class as Soulcraft" and then "Vagabonding".
Shop Class as Soul craft is one of my top 20. It would be on my 5 year re-read list but I gave my copy to a kid I worked with. Now I have to go dig "Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance" out and re-read it. Complimentary books in my opinion.

I try to read some Emerson every year when I'm camping. This year I read "compensation". It's really good and resonated with me more this time than the 3 or 4 other times I've read it in my life.