What books are you reading (or listening to?)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Here are some of my favorite non-fiction I've listened to recently:

The Boys in the Boat - Daniel James Brown
Endurance - Alfred Lansing
Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand

We listened to Endurance during our trek across Greenland. While on polar opposites (literally), the idea of the cold weather, dog pemmican, freezing to death, etc was very real :D

Luckily we didn't have to eat any sled dogs or excessive fish

greenland-crossing_h.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've just about finished my three silo series books and have come back to this thread several times to find the next thing to read. I've been reading at night after the boys go to bed rather than watching TV and its been a nice change. No need to search and scroll for something worth watching... My wife commented that she hasn't ever seen me read this much and its probably true.

I think I might try Endurance next. Or maybe Empire of the Summer Moon. I think my wife bought it recently.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
Plenty of commute time each day, I can go through audio books from time to time.
Relatively recent Audio books in no particular order:

The Book of Mormon, narrated by Alastair Cameron (many listens)
The Rational Bible: Genesis, Dennis Prager (mid 2nd listen)
The Rational Bible: Exodus, Dennis Prager
Why the Jews? Dennis Prager (highly recommend, things I was barely aware of or not at all, history wise)
The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien (would be hard to read; Reminds me of the later half of Don Quixote which I'm sure I never finished)
Dune, Frank Herbert, narrated by Jason Culp, Patricia Kilgarriff and 11 other people (2nd, read hard copy, haven't seen new movie)
Saving Bravo, Stephan Talty
The Founding Fathers on Leadership, Donald T Phillips, narrated by George Wilson (Excellent, can't highly recommend enough)
A Serious Call To a Devout and Holy Life, William Law (that was a tough one)
Grant, Ron Chernow, narrated by Mark Bramhall (highly recommend audio, it's very detailed i.e. long and often tedious, but fascinating biography and leadership perspective look at the Civil War, the Civil Rights movement, and just how much it did/could/does suck being a President of the U.S.)

Relatively recent E-books, the first two I just read for the first time (both short and trippy):

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
The Island Of Dr Moreau, H. G. Wells
A Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Borroughs
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Lost World, Arthur Conan Doyle
Around the World in Eighty Days, Jules Verne
The War of the Worlds, H. G. Wells
The Time Machine, H. G. Wells
The Formic War, Orson Scott Card
The Lost Fleet: Dauntless, Jack Campbell

Just started or I've been plugging away at lately:

Utes, The Mountain People, Jan Pettit
Beyond Good and Evil, Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Discover Nine Mile Canyon, Ed & Janice Helmick

Whish List / to read (fairly recent additions partial list):

Blood and Thunder, Hampton Sides
The Pueblo Revolt, David Roberts
Exploring Desert Stone, Steven K Madsen
House of Rain, Craig Childs
My Canyonlands, Kent Frost (me too, sounds espensive)
Indians I have Known, Byron Cummings
Boundaries between: The Southern Paiutes, Martha C Knack

Anybody listen to You-toob audio presentations? Just did Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, not better than the Movie = not a great book or the movie totally spoiled it...

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was mistaken, the book my wife had recently bought was "Killers of the Flower Moon" by David Grann. It was a super interesting read.

I also enjoyed House of Rain a few years ago after exploring in beef basin and the area and wanting to learn some more.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
It was depressing. When I finished it I told my wife it made me mad. She was like, that's how it's always been. (She is half Navajo.)

So another question, are you heavy readers just going nuts at the library or are you reading ebooks or what? I looked up empire of the summer moon and there are 70 holds on it in SLCO. The river of doubt had several holds as well. Are you guys just patient or are you buying books?

I don't know that I'm super interested in the "self help" type books. Maybe that term is degrading, and I don't mean it that way, but books like prepared or the 10 traits of a successful person, or how to think your way out of a box type books. I'm more into history or maybe historic fiction. Something to keep my ADD brain from wandering too much. I know the classics are going to be at the library, and my wife has a lot of them already.

Tonkaman

It was depressing. When I finished it I told my wife it made me mad. She was like, that's how it's always been. (She is half Navajo.)

So another question, are you heavy readers just going nuts at the library or are you reading ebooks or what? I looked up empire of the summer moon and there are 70 holds on it in SLCO. The river of doubt had several holds as well. Are you guys just patient or are you buying books?

I don't know that I'm super interested in the "self help" type books. Maybe that term is degrading, and I don't mean it that way, but books like prepared or the 10 traits of a successful person, or how to think your way out of a box type books. I'm more into history or maybe historic fiction. Something to keep my ADD brain from wandering too much. I know the classics are going to be at the library, and my wife has a lot of them already.

How did I never realize your wife is half Navajo??

I’m fully on the audiobook wagon. I love to listen while I am busy doing something else that’s mindless (like driving). Honestly if I had to hold a book in hand I wouldn’t get through more than 1 book a year.

Funny you mention that you don’t like self improvement books, because I’m the opposite. I have similar feelings about fiction. I don’t really enjoy listening to some made up story unless it’s meant to be very thought provoking with an underlying message. In fact only 2 of the 19 books I’ve listened to this year are fiction. (Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and 1984 by George Orwell)

Tonkaman

Outliers, the story of success by Malcom Gladwell.

I just finished this book and it was excellent! The author looks at the worlds most successful people, groups, and organizations. He dissects why they became so remarkable. He goes on to explain that it’s not because of some incredible ability or chart topping IQ. instead it’s owed to a series of unique circumstances, often culminating for generations that opened up the possibility for greatness.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I generally buy any of the books I read (with my eyes). Those are generally in the nonfiction genre, generally Utah or Western history books that can/will serve as a reference or refresher in the future. I've occasionally borrowed a book to read but I can't think of a single book I've checked out of a library in the past decade or two.

I've listened (I use Audible) to a handful of nonfiction and the few fiction books jam, particularly I'm deep in the Terminal List series by Jack Carr. I find them very enjoyable and easy to rock on a plane or in the car. I don't need to highlight, notate or mark something for future reference like I do a nonfiction book about the history of Carbon County for example.

Audio is fun to listen to with the Mrs or friends on a road trip. She and I listened to the whole Hunger Games series together over the course of many months. I wouldn't have picked them but was something she really enjoyed and I could tolerate so together we worked through the series.

I've really enjoyed the handful I've listened to. Just recently I listened to 'From Strength to Strength' by Arthur C Brooks, fantastic for me and my status in life. About to start the Go-Giver and have previously listened to The Spirit of Kaizen, Never Split the Difference and the Toyota Way, etc.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I generally buy any of the books I read (with my eyes). Those are generally in the nonfiction genre, generally Utah or Western history books that can/will serve as a reference or refresher in the future. I've occasionally borrowed a book to read but I can't think of a single book I've checked out of a library in the past decade or two.

I've listened (I use Audible) to a handful of nonfiction and the few fiction books jam, particularly I'm deep in the Terminal List series by Jack Carr. I find them very enjoyable and easy to rock on a plane or in the car. I don't need to highlight, notate or mark something for future reference like I do a nonfiction book about the history of Carbon County for example.

Audio is fun to listen to with the Mrs or friends on a road trip. She and I listened to the whole Hunger Games series together over the course of many months. I wouldn't have picked them but was something she really enjoyed and I could tolerate so together we worked through the series.

I've really enjoyed the handful I've listened to. Just recently I listened to 'From Strength to Strength' by Arthur C Brooks, fantastic for me and my status in life. About to start the Go-Giver and have previously listened to The Spirit of Kaizen, Never Split the Difference and the Toyota Way, etc.
If you liked the Terminal List, you would probably love the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. The Audible version is fantastic.

Tonkaman

Never split the difference is fantastic! That’s one of those books that I plan to buy so that I can mark it up for future references.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Killed "Red" yesterday. Sammy Hagar autobiography. Interesting but quick read. What you'd expect. Poor and hungry beginning, ass busting to make it work with Montrose, solo career, Van Halen, then Van Halen drama, then moving on, then more Van Halen drama... Cabo, tequila and a bit of post VH stuff

Last edited: