What books are you reading (or listening to?)

DAA

I'm a constant reader. Always have been. In cooler weather I listen to a lot of audiobooks too, walking the dog, but neither she nor I are into it in the summer heat.

Currently reading Nevada's Turbulent Yesterday by Don Ashbaugh

The ones I have most recently read from most recent to least recent, almost all of these are re-reads.

The Book of Rifle Accuracy by Tony Boyer
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (4th time?)
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Empire of the Summer Moon by SC Gwynne
The River of Doubt by Candice Millard
Wolfer by Carter Niemeyer
The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksander Solzhenitsyn
Man Corn by Turner and Turner
Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (really, I did, read the whole damn thing, not going to read it again...)
Moby Dick by Herman Melville (almost as hard to finish as War and Peace and I won't read it again either...)

- DAA

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’m listening to the New Testament right now. I’ll admit I’m always doing something else while I listen, so not 100% focus. I guess if I actually had time I’d open the book and read, but I can never find time so I listen.
It’s the first time I’ve really put time to it since my mission 24 years ago. I have to say I’m not really impressed with it. Granted I’m nearing the end of Luke so only the gospels so far. They are close enough to each other to make it sound like it’s on repeat, but then I catch differences that make me ask questions like who wrote it right. Kind of an odd book for sure and I now totally get why it’s a source of many arguments.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Moby Dick by Herman Melville (almost as hard to finish as War and Peace and I won't read it again either...)

- DAA

I didn't make it through that one

I’m listening to the New Testament right now. I’ll admit I’m always doing something else while I listen, so not 100% focus. I guess if I actually had time I’d open the book and read, but I can never find time so I listen.
It’s the first time I’ve really put time to it since my mission 24 years ago. I have to say I’m not really impressed with it. Granted I’m nearing the end of Luke so only the gospels so far. They are close enough to each other to make it sound like it’s on repeat, but then I catch differences that make me ask questions like who wrote it right. Kind of an odd book for sure and I now totally get why it’s a source of many arguments.

I like to keep those first gospels together. See what each gospel has vs the other. I think they are all "right" but the all have a different perspective on each event. I like that they are different. It'd be the same as reading 4-5 people's version of a trail ride (assuming any of us do those any more :D)

The Paul stuff is kind of funky but cool also. I think you have to be a "hay soos" (Jesus) nerd for the New Testament?

Last edited:

DAA

I didn't make it through that one

I like to keep those first gospels together. See what each gospel has vs the other. The Paul stuff is kind of funky but cool also. I think you have to be a "hay soos" (Jesus) nerd for the New Testament?

I should have stopped at "Call me Ishmael". The line about wanting to knock strangers hats off their heads drew me in though. I totally related with that.

- DAA

Thursty

I'm a constant reader. Always have been. In cooler weather I listen to a lot of audiobooks too, walking the dog, but neither she nor I are into it in the summer heat.

The ones I have most recently read from most recent to least recent, almost all of these are re-reads.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (really, I did, read the whole damn thing, not going to read it again...)

- DAA
Empire of the Summer Moon is on my list. How was it?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

- DAA
East of Eden is one of my all time favorite books.

Currently, I haven't had a bunch of time to read. I spend most of my "free" time chasing a two year old around or fighting a fussy infant to go to sleep. And then when there is a quiet moment, all I want to do is drink a cold BeWilder beer and stare at a wall.

Books on my night stand currently waiting to be finished are:
Of Boys and Men by Richard Reeves - I'm halfway through, and its a fascinating look into the challenges facing boys today.
In Cold War Skies: NATO and Soviet Air Power, 1949-89 by Michael Napier - Title kinda says it all.
The Birth of the Modern: World Society 1815-1830 by Paul Johnson - An in depth look at, well, the birth of the world we live in today.

Most recently completed books:
The Neutron's Long Shadow: Legacies of Nuclear Explosives Production in the Manhattan Project and Weapons of Mass Destruction: Specters of the Nuclear Age both by Martin Miller - Fascinating photo essays for anyone interested in the topics.
Camel Trophy: The Definitive History by Nick Dimbleby - For someone who grew up watching CT, this was an amazing read. Also super cool that I've had an opportunity to work and travel with some of the former competitors and organizers in recent years.

Tonkaman

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You all make me feel illiterate.
This. I think the last book I read was in the hunger games series. Actually I think I re-read Lone Survivor since then. I can’t focus on audiobooks (ADD) and I cannot stand missing details. Then there’s just no way I’ll pick reading over watching a show and relaxing with the wife. I figure I have my golden years for reading, with a blanket over my legs.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just finished Undaunted Courage by Steven Ambrose. Lewis and Clark in depth. It was good. Im now on to Band of Brothers by the same author.
Undaunted Courage is fantastic. I was lucky enough to listen to it while driving all over Montana and Idaho. Hearing Lewis and Clark’s descriptions and experiences as I traveled through the same areas as they did was absolutely enjoyable.

Historical Fiction is my favorite genre, with Wilbur Smith or Bernard Cornwell tied for my favorite authors. Those two have written a massive number of stories, and they both excel at sharing the most accurate details of weapons used in their stories.

Monsoon- by Wilbur Smith is probably my favorite novel ever. He goes into great detail of repairing the severed main mast on a 1600’s shipping vessel off the coast of Africa.

The Richard Sharpe Series- Bernard Cornwell. I think there are 20+ novels in this series about the life of a British soldier during the early 1800’s.

The Potatoe Factory- Bryce Courtenay. This is actually based on some of the characters in Oliver Twist and what happened to them after they were sent to penal colonies in Australia and New Zealand.

DAA

I've read a lot of the old Wilbur Smith stuff years ago. I think When the Lion Feeds was the last one I read. Still have them all around here somewhere, should see if I can find them and give them a re-read, that was pretty good stuff.

- DAA