What books are you reading (or listening to?)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I just started ENDURANCE, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing (I think it was reccomended somewhere in this thread). I am only in Chapter 3, but damn! What an adventure so far!

Likely me? I really enjoyed that book. We listened to it while driving in Greenland and worried we didn't have any seal pemmican if things went really sideways for us.

Speaking of, you're missing the Winter Survival class tonight. We're earning it up on the mountain 😄

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Likely me? I really enjoyed that book. We listened to it while driving in Greenland and worried we didn't have any seal pemmican if things went really sideways for us.

Speaking of, you're missing the Winter Survival class tonight. We're earning it up on the mountain 😄

I bet you guys are. I would assume you all are headed down by now?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've read a fair amount over the holidays and while I have school to deal with.

Jack Carr, finished until the next one comes out.
-The Devils Hand
-Only the Dead
-In the Blood

Started King Rat by James Clavell. Wasn't really in to it.
Jumped into "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown next and like it a lot.

"Shogun" popped up next but I was a little apprehensive because of King Rat but I started it and really enjoyed it. It was a real long book and it kind of felt like it. If that makes sense.

From there I started "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" by John le Carre which I just finished. I don't know. It was fine but it seemed a little slow after binging the Jack Carr books. I had two more le Carre books teed up but decided to return them too and look for something else. I'm sure I'll go digging back through these threads to find another good lead. (I'm also sure I broke Stephens heart saying what I did about le Carre.) School started back up yesterday but I'm only take two credits rather than the seven I had last semester, so I'll have time to read.

Also, a plug for the Libby app on my iPad. Other than "the devils hand" I borrowed from Kurt, all of the books have come from there for free.

"King Rat" is a hard book. I really enjoyed it, but I can see how others wouldn't.

"Shogun" is one of my all time favorite books. One of the few I read cover to cover in "one" sitting, I just couldn't put it down. I also have a first edition of it :D:
View attachment 168636
If you have the time, check out the 1980 Shogun miniseries with Richard Chamberlain, absolutely fantastic!

le Carre's spy books are the antithesis of a thriller. They are slow, methodical, twisting stories with very little action and lots, and lots of talking and thinking. And for that reason, I love them. I love that he rewards the reader who really paid attention and could keep track of all the different threads for when the mystery is revealed in the end. But, he's not for everyone, so while you broke my heart, I understand.
I absolutely LOVED Shogun, which led me to King Rat and Tai Pan. Knowing that Clavell was POW in Japan and Singapore made King Rat particularly interesting.

Shogun is one of my top 3 all-time novels. King Rat is also in that top 10.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I didn't know he was a POW. My great grandpa was also a POW in Japan. I don't remember much about him but my dad had told me he was always sick because of that and when he got home they had to remove most of his intestines.

Maybe I'll give king rat another go. It took me a minute to figure out he was switching languages in the text.

Thou.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member

I had Young Mens tonight so sadly I missed the class tonight.

I'm on Chapter 4. Those men were a different breed in 1915! I was thinking about your Greenland trip while listening to it. I don't know that I would want to listen to that book while experiencing similar conditions...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I didn't know he was a POW. My great grandpa was also a POW in Japan. I don't remember much about him but my dad had told me he was always sick because of that and when he got home they had to remove most of his intestines.

Maybe I'll give king rat another go. It took me a minute to figure out he was switching languages in the text.

Thou.
He was at Changi. If you want to read more about what it was like for allied POW's in the Pacific, I recommend "Prisoners of the Japanese". Very well researched and written, but not for the faint of heart. What those men went through was barbaric.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Just finished listening to "Knight of the Maison-Rouge" by Alexander Dumas.

Summary:
Maison-Rouge and Dixmer uses his wife, Geneviève Dixmer, to trick Maurice into helping in a plot to free Marie Antoinette and is surprised when he loses his wife to Maurice when the plot fails. Many plots to save Marie Antoinette fail (3 or 4) and her head gets chopped off. Maison-Rouge kills himself at the execution. Maurice kills Dixmer in a duel. Then Maurice, the girl and his best friend: guillotined. The End. Very French.

Then I finished "Prince Caspian" by C.S. Lewis because I was listening to it with my kids but had no service in the Swell to download another book.

Reading "Fire Strike" by Mike Madsen (the first Clive Cussler book since his death) it seems pretty true to Clive's style since Madsen was coauthoring these for a few years with Cussler.
Quite good except for one awkwardly placed blatant advertisment for mens soap...

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was able to borrow Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand from the library so I started that. Its about the crew of a plane that crashed into the Pacific Ocean in May 1943. The thing I found interesting is the introduction of Luis Zamperini who was a runner and made the Olympic team for the Berlin games in 1936. Those are the same Olympics that are talked about in "The Boys in the Boat" that I read a couple weeks back. They two groups of athletes were on the same steamer across the Atlantic to get to the games. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member

85CUCVKRAWLER

I just finished My Confession by Samuel Chamberlain. This book was the inspiration for Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy and is the foundational literature for all of American Western movies and television from the 1950's onward. Its is the autobiography and paintings of Sam following his time joining the American army at age 16 to fight in the Spanish-American war in Mexico. Debauchery, sword play, Calvary battles, daring acts of bravery, unthinkable acts of brutality, love, death, war. It was an amazing and enthralling book from start to finish.

Im currently working on Always with Honor by Pyotr Wrangel. Another autobiography chronicling Lt. Gen Wrangel of the White Army as they battled against the insurmountable forces of the Red Army during the collapse of the monarchial Russian regime. Lt. Gen Wrangel was renowned for he strategical genius and was single handedly responsible for saving the remnant's of the white army during their last stand battle on the Crimean peninsula. This reads more like a text book, but the depictions of the Russian society as it was taken over by the bolshevist revolution are haunting and strangely parallels our own time. Required reading of any astute reader of the Soviet Russian time period. This book was out of print for close to 50 years and has now recently seen a reawakening of interest (i wonder why?).

Next up is for me The Case For Colonialism by Bruce Gilley. A book that attempts to push back on revisionist historians and their fantastical recantations of life in the Americas pre-Columbus. He also examines the lives of current black Americans, products of the slave trade, to the lives of current Africans. Also theres a large portion of the book dedicated to examining the intellectual rot currently found in modern American universities.

Oh, also i recently finished "Bronze Age Mindset" and "Selective Breeding and the Birth of Philosophy" by the same author. Both of these were excellent reading but i wont go into those unless someone specifically asks about them.

Last edited:

ID Bronco

I just finished My Confession by Samuel Chamberlain. This book was the inspiration for Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy and is the foundational literature for all of American Western movies and television from the 1950's onward. Its is the autobiography and paintings of Sam following his time joining the American army at age 16 to fight in the Spanish-American war in Mexico. Debauchery, sword play, Calvary battles, daring acts of bravery, unthinkable acts of brutality, love, death, war. It was an amazing and enthralling book from start to finish.

Im currently working on Always with Honor by Pyotr Wrangel. Another autobiography chronicling Lt. Gen Wrangel of the White Army as they battled against the insurmountable forces of the Red Army during the collapse of the monarchial Russian regime. Lt. Gen Wrangel was renowned for he strategical genius and was single handedly responsible for saving the remnant's of the white army during their last stand battle on the Crimean peninsula. This reads more like a text book, but the depictions of the Russian society as it was taken over by the bolshevist revolution are haunting and strangely parallels our own time. Required reading of any astute reader of the Soviet Russian time period. This book was out of print for close to 50 years and has now recently seen a reawakening of interest (i wonder why?).

Next up is for me The Case For Colonialism by Bruce Gilley. A book that attempts to push back on revisionist historians and they fantastical recantations of life in the Americas pre-Columbus> He also examines the lives of current black americans, products of the slave trade, to the lives of current Africans. Also theres a large portion of the book dedicated to examining the intellectual rot currently found in modern American universities.
That's some deep stuff.
I have read a lot of sales and self esteem books, but I normally fall back into fiction, it's like eating pop corn, it's tasty but not real good for you.