What books are you reading (or listening to?)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I finished East of Eden over the weekend. I’ve been thinking about it since then and still can’t figure out why you all think it’s so great. I mean, the guy can write a good story and string you along, but what’s the point? Everyone has evil in them and you can’t do anything about it? We are bound to repeat the lives of our past relatives?

I’d like an essay on the book by someone on here please. Your deadline is a week.

I’m still looking for my next book. I’ve had a couple of false starts but nothing has stuck yet.
I just love the way Steinbeck writes. The way he describes people and places pulls me in. This is a fiction and as such I was just entertained by the characters, not trying to learn a life lesson. I do love some of his lines though.

I'm reading Empire of the Summer Moon now thanks to you guys and it's pretty dang good too. Working for a Texas company with many Texans it's been at the very least a good history of why so many of them are lunatics, because they come from lunatics.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Just finished The Black Tulip by Alexander Dumas. Really enjoyed it as it's a stand-alone story of a man's obsession with creating a black tulip and ihow it causes his downfall and then his redemption. Possibly one of Dumas' only stories to have a "happily ever after." Enjoyed it so much I just began another Dumas- The Knight of the Maison-Rouge.

Also finished The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe then started A Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis will th my boys.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I’m halfway through listening to the Elon Musk biography by Walter Isaacson. I’ve already initiated substantive changes in my business because of it. It’s well written. He seems kind of terrible in some ways, but it’s clear why and how some of those characteristics have driven him to achieve insane things. I’m loving it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I finished East of Eden over the weekend. I’ve been thinking about it since then and still can’t figure out why you all think it’s so great. I mean, the guy can write a good story and string you along, but what’s the point? Everyone has evil in them and you can’t do anything about it? We are bound to repeat the lives of our past relatives?

I’d like an essay on the book by someone on here please. Your deadline is a week.

It's in the "Literary Classics" section at Barnes and Noble? :D

Over the years when I talk to people about East of Eden, it always seems that people have different takeaways. While I loved the story and how it weaves the tale of Cain and Abel, right and wrong, good and evil through the various generations and how each of them grapple with the possibility that they might do wrong even if they try to do right. I think what has always drawn me to East of Eden is Steinbeck's prose. The way he writes dialogue and describes location is second to none. He fully captures the period he is writing about, and thats because he was there! East of Eden is partially autobiographical, and you can tell in how he describes Salinas. Even today, you can go into the old part of Salinas or out into the hills, and the streets and the fields look like they were described in the book.

I’m still looking for my next book. I’ve had a couple of false starts but nothing has stuck yet.
Stick with Steinbeck :D Maybe dive into some of his non-fiction; Log From the Sea of Cortez, A Russian Journal, Travels with Charley, America and Americans.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Please. Being considered a literary classic doesn't mean anything. I do agree that his ability to describe the surroundings was impressive. Maybe I got distracted by his mention of the Steinbecks in the story. I was trying to figure out who was the narrator and whether the Steinbecks were going to be a bigger part of the story. (They aren't.)

I just read a couple online reviews of the book and they all basically say what you've said. Its a "masterpiece" because he develops the characters and the setting so well and brings in all the varieties and situations one can experience in human existence; life, death, suffering, happiness, sadness, etc....

Whatever.

I've read his other "big" books, of mice and men, and the grapes of wrath back in high school ap english. We'll see if I pick one of those others ones Stephen mentions.

After posting last night I hopped on the Libby app on my ipad and found The Martian was available to borrow so I started that and got pretty far. The dudes funny.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Please. Being considered a literary classic doesn't mean anything. I do agree that his ability to describe the surroundings was impressive. Maybe I got distracted by his mention of the Steinbecks in the story. I was trying to figure out who was the narrator and whether the Steinbecks were going to be a bigger part of the story. (They aren't.)

I just read a couple online reviews of the book and they all basically say what you've said. Its a "masterpiece" because he develops the characters and the setting so well and brings in all the varieties and situations one can experience in human existence; life, death, suffering, happiness, sadness, etc....

Whatever.
Man, harsh!
I've read his other "big" books, of mice and men, and the grapes of wrath back in high school ap english. We'll see if I pick one of those others ones Stephen mentions.
I actually think that Steinbeck is a better non-fiction writer than a fiction one; which might seem strange. But he was such a keen observer of the world around him, and his ability to describe people and places so vividly really lends itself to non-fiction.

Travels with Charley is my favorite book of his. If you want to get a feeling about what 1960 backroads America was like, this book does it.

I also really enjoyed A Russian Journal. He and Robert Capra, a famous war photographer, travel to Russia in 1946/7 and its just a fascinating snapshot of what life was like there right after the war.

Log From the Sea of Cortez is also great. He and his good friend the marine biologist Ed Ricketts rent a boat and go around the Gulf of Mexico documenting marine life in 1940.

America and American's is a collection of essays. There's a lot of overlap with Travels With Charley, but enough original that its worth a read.

He also has a memoir of his time as a war correspondent called Once There Was a War which is interesting.

He wrote a bit of wartime "propaganda", for lack of a better term, called Bombs Away: The Story of a Bomber Team. Its not a great book, but its really fascinating to read because you'll be plugging along with typical Steinbeck prose talking about what its like to go through training for a B-17 crew; and then your hit in the face with what is clearly copy pasted in by the US Army. I happen to have a first edition of this book as well, which is kinda cool.

Houndoc

On my recent flights I have been reading "Self Help" by Samuel Smiles (Bear Grylls' great great grandfather). A mid-1800s take on using life lessons from successful individuals and applying them to ourselves.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Presume you've read River of Doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed that one too.

- DAA
If you haven't John, I've got a copy with your name all over it.

I finished the martian and am now currently watching the movie. Again. I watched it when it came out in 2015. I'm going to try and hit the library tomorrow for project hail Mary.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I’m halfway through listening to the Elon Musk biography by Walter Isaacson. I’ve already initiated substantive changes in my business because of it. It’s well written. He seems kind of terrible in some ways, but it’s clear why and how some of those characteristics have driven him to achieve insane things. I’m loving it.
I was introduced to this on the way to the Baja 1000 and joined Audible when I got home to finish it. Very interesting. That dude is odd, and I could never work for him, but he certainly has a way of making things happen )good and bad) fast. Very insightful and was worth my time to listen to it at 1.5X speed.

Last edited: