General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Not sure what you used to clean the brass but I have found a few hours of soaking in ammonia does a great job.

I usually soak the parts in carb cleaner for a bit while I go and do something else. However, being away from the powersports for a few years now my 5-gallon container of carb cleaner has about run its coarse and I've been looking at getting an ultrasonic cleaner. Just having a hard time justifying one due to the lack of carb work that I do these days, although I know it will work for other items as well.

MIke

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Mike an ultrasonic cleaner would be amazing for you!
I use mine all the time. The other day I sharpened a bunch of my drill bits and then threw 2 handfuls of them in the ultrasonic cleaner and they came out looking brand new.

Which one do you have?

I've been looking at a CO Z 15L that looks about like the size I would need but open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Mike

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Saturday I had a “hey man” project to work on. A friend of mine dropped off the carburetor from his Yamaha YFZ450 on Friday night. I generally don’t work on powersports equipment any more these days but this is a friend whom I’ve built many snowmobiles and ATV’s for over the years when I had my business so I told him to bring it by and I’d take a look at it for him.

Disassembled.
8d7020333e3bb70bb0aaf9c6d981e2e5.jpg

Nasty looking inside. Jets plugged up as well. No wonder why it wouldn’t run.
fb2ff0a28c016efce37f37ad4f4d0753.jpg

a8b400aafda8da46ca0267f8bae42a33.jpg

After removing from carb cleaner.
f093ded9e1aa9344eef8423ea0c8a66c.jpg

Ready for reassembly.
8ef0e58c29b59ce6ccfbb79c021653be.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike

It fantastic to see someone use the correct tool for carb screws, not that I'd expect anything less from you Mike :D . Those "butter" screws are pretty good when you use a JIS driver instead of a P#2. Everyone with a Japanese bike should own a set of Vessel or Hozan drivers.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
It fantastic to see someone use the correct tool for carb screws, not that I'd expect anything less from you Mike :D . Those "butter" screws are pretty good when you use a JIS driver instead of a P#2. Everyone with a Japanese bike should own a set of Vessel or Hozan drivers.

Thank you.

I've seen my fair share of buggered up screws over the past 30+ years of wrenching on Japanese powersports equipment. I had an older couple of old Vessel JIS screwdrivers (#2 and #3) but they were in my old toolbox when I gave it to my son when he took over my old toolbox and brought it to his new home last year. I ordered a full set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers about a year or so ago to replace them. I like these new ones quite a lot.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Worked on the acquisition of this yesterday. Sex on wheels!
View attachment 127564
That's going to be incredibly fun for you! I miss my 990 Adventure often. :(

Seeing that bike gave me horrible flashbacks to last year on Ophir Pass just outside of Ouray, CO. We were running that trail solo as a last afternoon run and four guys were trying to ride their Adventures up the shale rock shelf road and NOT doing so well. They were exhausted and said they had been there for over two hours by the time we arrived fighting trying to get the bikes up the trail. I tried telling them that wasn't the trail for those bikes inexperienced riders or not and that they should turn around, head back down into Ophir and take the highway around because it got rockier further up the trail. They didn't want to listen and instead blocked the trail for another hour fighting the terrain.

By this time there was a line of about 8 vehicles behind my wife and I who wanted to get by but they wouldn't cooperate and share the trail. One guy in a new JL went around me and started heading down towards them. We tried to help but two of them wanted NO help whatsoever and didn't even want us near them. The other two guys were more than willing and even let another guy ride his bike up while we pushed and tried to keep him upright. Those big heavy bikes went down and went down hard multiple times breaking fairings, mirrors, one clutch lever and one foot brake lever but they still wouldn't let us help nor get past them.

Once we got the two out of the way that would allow us to help we all just bulldozed our way down the trail as it was already around 5:00pm by this time. I hated to do that and leave them on the trail but they really gave us no choice when we wanted to assist them. The guy in the JL had his 85 year old dad with him right in front of us. I thought his dad was going to get into a fist fight with the one guy as he started to get out of the Jeep ahead of us to confront him. Kinda funny, kinda sad but frustrating for sure.

Now every time I see one of those big Adventure bikes I cringe a little.:oops:

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
It’s time for a LOF service on the 2006 2500HD Duramax. I racked it, removed the tires & wheels for a rotation and it’s also time for brake fluid service. I flushed it just before we moved so it’s a little overdo. I also opted to replace my brake lines seeing as how the truck is 14 years old now so I purchased some stainless steel flex lines to replace the rubber hoses.

f4a78c39f3519c51ae3491f12a17dd54.jpg

293a0a64b0b698d295186ad2ac10f66d.jpg

b656f1a6261c7a7b9cc3efc3f9a234f2.jpg

5c58e7f27c3c7a540f856e81bb57c1c3.jpg

The brake line kit come with aluminum crush washers but I’m not a fan of them so I planned on using copper instead. I’ve purchased copper in bulk and I’m getting low do I need to resupply.
2c5104c5f01e5338e4c561161f10b92e.jpg

5c556344b390fec38088105a3ed5ee93.jpg

Drilled and deburred a hole in the knuckle for an Adel clamp to secure the new brake line.
bbafa1ff271b5eef788bc8d5e708fb41.jpg

9c36a3eea469960aed19675e3f434cf9.jpg

aed3487dc45c6e112cd0d7ae508b04c2.jpg

62371d6db8d122b1605b258c0b883c13.jpg

More to come. I really need to schedule some time to repaint my chassis. It needs it.

Mike

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Seeing that bike gave me horrible flashbacks to last year on Ophir Pass just outside of Ouray, CO. We were running that trail solo as a last afternoon run and four guys were trying to ride their Adventures up the shale rock shelf road and NOT doing so well. They were exhausted and said they had been there for over two hours by the time we arrived fighting trying to get the bikes up the trail. I tried telling them that wasn't the trail for those bikes inexperienced riders or not and that they should turn around, head back down into Ophir and take the highway around because it got rockier further up the trail. They didn't want to listen and instead blocked the trail for another hour fighting the terrain.

By this time there was a line of about 8 vehicles behind my wife and I who wanted to get by but they wouldn't cooperate and share the trail. One guy in a new JL went around me and started heading down towards them. We tried to help but two of them wanted NO help whatsoever and didn't even want us near them. The other two guys were more than willing and even let another guy ride his bike up while we pushed and tried to keep him upright. Those big heavy bikes went down and went down hard multiple times breaking fairings, mirrors, one clutch lever and one foot brake lever but they still wouldn't let us help nor get past them.

Once we got the two out of the way that would allow us to help we all just bulldozed our way down the trail as it was already around 5:00pm by this time. I hated to do that and leave them on the trail but they really gave us no choice when we wanted to assist them. The guy in the JL had his 85 year old dad with him right in front of us. I thought his dad was going to get into a fist fight with the one guy as he started to get out of the Jeep ahead of us to confront him. Kinda funny, kinda sad but frustrating for sure.

Now every time I see one of those big Adventure bikes I cringe a little.:oops:

Mike

Sounds like they were in over their heads and shouldn't have been up there... IMO Ophir isn't that challenging on a big bike!

I rode Imogene on my 990 a few years ago and it was one of the best rides I've done down there!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Sounds like they were in over their heads and shouldn't have been up there... IMO Ophir isn't that challenging on a big bike!

I rode Imogene on my 990 a few years ago and it was one of the best rides I've done down there!

Yes, they were over their heads as far as experienced riders but I'm fairly experienced and even struggled trying to ride the guys bike out due to how loose the shale rock was this past year. There just wasn't any compaction and the rocks were about a bit larger than normal last year. Usually that mile sections of shelf road is fairly compacted but I think due to the heavy snowfall in winter of 2018/2019 there were a lot more loose rocks that had slid down the mountain than in previous years. Even in the Jeeps they were squirming around driving that section more than normal.

Mike

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yes, they were over their heads as far as experienced riders but I'm fairly experienced and even struggled trying to ride the guys bike out due to how loose the shale rock was this past year. There just wasn't any compaction and the rocks were about a bit larger than normal last year. Usually that mile sections of shelf road is fairly compacted but I think due to the heavy snowfall in winter of 2018/2019 there were a lot more loose rocks that had slid down the mountain than in previous years. Even in the Jeeps they were squirming around driving that section more than normal.

Mike

Some people try and carry so much "stuff" I wonder why they don't just take a jeep. I try and pack minimal gear on a bike and it makes them, even the larger bikes, so much more capable. It's too bad they were ass hat's and didn't let your group pass. I hate it when a small group gives a larger community a bad image. I'll let you pass, but then I'd ride your ass to listen to that LS rumble :D

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
It’s time for a LOF service on the 2006 2500HD Duramax. I racked it, removed the tires & wheels for a rotation and it’s also time for brake fluid service. I flushed it just before we moved so it’s a little overdo. I also opted to replace my brake lines seeing as how the truck is 14 years old now so I purchased some stainless steel flex lines to replace the rubber hoses.

f4a78c39f3519c51ae3491f12a17dd54.jpg

293a0a64b0b698d295186ad2ac10f66d.jpg

b656f1a6261c7a7b9cc3efc3f9a234f2.jpg

5c58e7f27c3c7a540f856e81bb57c1c3.jpg

The brake line kit come with aluminum crush washers but I’m not a fan of them so I planned on using copper instead. I’ve purchased copper in bulk and I’m getting low do I need to resupply.
2c5104c5f01e5338e4c561161f10b92e.jpg

5c556344b390fec38088105a3ed5ee93.jpg

Drilled and deburred a hole in the knuckle for an Adel clamp to secure the new brake line.
bbafa1ff271b5eef788bc8d5e708fb41.jpg

9c36a3eea469960aed19675e3f434cf9.jpg

aed3487dc45c6e112cd0d7ae508b04c2.jpg

62371d6db8d122b1605b258c0b883c13.jpg

More to come. I really need to schedule some time to repaint my chassis. It needs it.

Mike
Your post just cost me $25 X-D - Those drill guides are such a simple little product, but look like they can make life so much easier.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I modified this old Offenhauser Buick 455 intake manifold.

Dropped the mounting surface down .180th and gasket matched the ports. The owner will do some hand porting on it. It goes in a AWD 76 buick skylark i have been involved with.

View attachment 127595

View attachment 127596

View attachment 127597

View attachment 127598

View attachment 127599

View attachment 127600

Now i get to clean this mess and tram in my vise. Yay!
View attachment 127601

View attachment 127602
Pics of the Skylark?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve been wanting a new air compressor, but after doing a lot of reading and watching a lot of video reviews, I’ve realized my compressor is just as good as the new options I was looking at.
Derek posted a couple years ago about his high flow compressor connections. I read more about air flow and pressures and realized I need more flow, not a new compressor.
I picked up some high flow fittings. There is a huge difference between what I had on my Tools and the new fittings!

73853260-33FF-4B6E-833A-B259B56E4A89.jpeg