General Tech What did you work on Today?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Started on our house remodel. Did this the day before thanksgiving. The wainscot will only be on 2 walls in the home, with new baseboards and paint going in on all the walls. I used a HF air sprayer to spray the white. I was actually very impressed.

IMG_2634[1].JPGIMG_2639[1].JPGIMG_2644[1].JPG

jeeper

Last year I bent the mount for my snow plow. I built a new mount, and added a dedicated HF winch to it... Now I am just waiting for snow.

[video=youtube;2oPstvj0Rnk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oPstvj0Rnk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Your axle stand is a WAY NICER version of what I use regularly. Mine's just cobbled together.

One question though, how will you deal with the huge range of axle tube sizes? I have a couple different clamp pieces in differing sizes, along with a spacer for my saddle part I have to use sometimes....since I've had to deal with anywhere from 2.25" to 4" diameter tubes.

The grade 8 bolts in the center of the clamps should hold the axle tight against the bottom side of the valley, if the tube is too small to reach with the bolts in there he could put longer bolts in.

Blue Wolf nailed it. The bolts on the top of the clamshell clamp will accommodate a wide range of axle tube diameters. I will have to get some longer bolts that are threaded all the way to the head but those were just what I had on hand.

I also will be adding some rubber along the bottom side of the valley as well for the axle to sit on. I just didn't add the rubber until the paint was fully dried.

Thanks guys.

Mike

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
I Short bedded a long bed C10 on friday. I had done a couple of square bodys years ago and these C10s are easier. Thats not rust thats mud on the frame.

24174455_1543611335727151_7739354603732562349_n.jpg

24231929_1543611795727105_680693537440391835_n.jpg

24300970_1543611685727116_7834825465046601326_n.jpg

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bart

Nice work. Will you box the inside?

Nope just the fish plate. Its a 2wd and not mine, had it been 4wd i would advise to do the whole thing. The owners is currently chopping the bed for it.24174455_1543611335727151_7739354603732562349_n.jpg24231929_1543611795727105_680693537440391835_n.jpg24300970_1543611685727116_7834825465046601326_n.jpg

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The grade 8 bolts in the center of the clamps should hold the axle tight against the bottom side of the valley, if the tube is too small to reach with the bolts in there he could put longer bolts in.

I have very similar bolts to clamp in mine, but they didn't clamp very well when the bolt was long. My upper clamp is nowhere near as solid as Mike's is, though. I would worry a little more about trying to fit 4" axle tube inside 4" clamp tube though. ;) (unless those are 4" I.D.)

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
From the day I bought my XJ I rolled the driver's window down and then when I tried to roll it back up the handle just ratcheted in my hand (manual window)

Finally got around to drilling out the 8 rivets tonight that hold the window regulator assembly in place, and then the 4 rivets that hold the gear drive system onto the cable.

Found a stripped/worn spur gear. Auto parts stores don't carry replacement regulators and even the dealership says the regulator assemblies are discontinued. I've read that the 2 door and 4 door regulators are different, but I've also read that parts swap over, so I'm going to have to hit the junkyards this week to see if I can find a regulator assembly to make work. I think even if I just swapped the spur gear over if it's the same I'd be happy with that.

IMG_5287.JPG

Last edited:

jeeper

Spent some more time on the house.. New 4" baseboards. I pulled the carpet back so I could spray instead of brush them
IMG_2702.JPG

New paint, ceiling fan, 2.5" blinds, electrical plugs, and light switch. This will eventually be my office.. but I have to redo the front room first, then move all the furniture back into it.. so for now, this is the front room
IMG_2733.JPG

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Started my XJ's winch bumper.... or at least got the winch sitting where it will sit so I can take measurements to start my bumper.

[video=youtube_share;kInZIFoW7eE]https://youtu.be/kInZIFoW7eE[/video]

*edit* since the above video I moved the winch about 1.5" up and about 1.5" more forward so it doesn't hang down quite so low. It's all but touching the steering gearbox and the fan shroud, so I can't tuck it in any further.

Heres the winch mounting plates rough design.

[video=youtube_share;l-Wh0dzr6QY]https://youtu.be/l-Wh0dzr6QY[/video]

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Looks like a good place to start! I like how you have the winch feet-forward and face-down so the fairlead ends up higher--I did that same thing with the hidden winch mount on my 80. Aside from it being harder to access the clutch handle, it can make for a nice clean install.

Coincidentally, I have also been working on a new winch bumper. (to replace the hidden version behind my factory bumper) Just finalized it and took it to be powder coated today. :cool:

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Holy crap Carl... Ok, how much for a Tacoma bumper cutouts. I was going to hand make one but then I remembered that you exist. :rofl:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Makes me want to buy an 80 so i can get a carl fab diy bumper kit

- - - Updated - - -

Build a 100 series rear bumper already

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That looks awesome! I hope mine looks that good

Thanks!

Holy crap Carl... Ok, how much for a Tacoma bumper cutouts. I was going to hand make one but then I remembered that you exist. :rofl:

You design it, I'll cut it. :cool:

Makes me want to buy an 80 so i can get a carl fab diy bumper kit

Build a 100 series rear bumper already

You can see all the parts that went into this bumper...which made it pretty difficult to assemble as any kind of "kit" would go. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of grinding, too. Ugh.

I haven't messed with anything rear bumper related, even for my 80. I just bought a 4x4 Labs rear for that. It's pretty much what I wanted, without the R&D on my part. :)

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Looks like a good place to start! I like how you have the winch feet-forward and face-down so the fairlead ends up higher--I did that same thing with the hidden winch mount on my 80. Aside from it being harder to access the clutch handle, it can make for a nice clean install.

Coincidentally, I have also been working on a new winch bumper. (to replace the hidden version behind my factory bumper) Just finalized it and took it to be powder coated today. :cool:

Very nice looking.

Great job.

Mike

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Carl I just use Bendtech Pro with the Sheet Metal module. Bendtech Pro looks like it's $305 right now and then the Sheet/Plate module is another $100.

Pro gives you all the tube bending stuff I use, and allows you to build multi-part assemblies with tube and plate parts combined. There is a learning curve with it but I've got it figured out a good bit and if you got the program I'd gladly help you with everything I know. It's the same program I make my .dxf files with that I've sent you before.

They also have a series of good YouTube tutorials that help you get the program figured out. For me the tube bending came really easy but I'm still figuring out the plate bending. Mainly just how to enter in the dimensions in a way that the part ends up how I want it to after bending. It's supposed to be accurate enough for CNC bending quality, but I've only made a few parts so far with multiple bends.

https://www.2020ssi-shop.com/bend-tech/home.php

Last edited: