General Tech What did you work on Today?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Today I picked up my shiny new (and newly-machined) pieces from the machine shop. The engine assembly is underway!

13269251_918167524948558_3095382889171114337_n.jpg

13267736_918167484948562_864642955008335448_n.jpg

I did manage to get the (newly rebuilt) heads bolted on as well, but I didn't have time to get any more photos after I was done.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Friday night I had a hitch adapter to repair for myself and one for a client so I thought I would knock them both out while machining and welding.

I have repaired about a dozen hitches and ball mounts in this manner now over the past 10 or so years and they have held up extremely well although they are a bit time consuming to do so if you have to take them to a shop to have done, it may not be cost effective. It is a common issue to have the hitch pin holes elongate over time (mostly miles).

Hitch pin clearance in elongated pin hole.
148kcol.jpg

Some 1" 8620 I had on the shelf.
htd3ba.jpg

I used a 1" diameter sleeve with .625" hole drilled to accept a standard hitch pin, actually slightly bored out a few thousandths more. I then chamfered the sleeve to accept a weld bead yet be flush with the surrounding stinger. I then bored the elongated hole out to .998" so it would be an interference fit into the stinger before welding using some 309L stainless steel TIG rod. I like the 309 due to the slightly different composition material but also because it gives a slightly better elongation characteristics that seem to hold up better to the shock loads present on the hitches when in use.

Machining the sleeve as well as the side bushings/reducers for the receiver part of the hitch. I have the steel chucked up in my new 5C collet chuck on the lathe.
vyplyc.jpg

Picture of the sleeve pressed in and TIG welded. By chamfering the hole after boring and chamfering the sleeve while chucked up in the lathe it creates a vice groove or "V" for the weld fillet to lie down into. This weld sits nearly flush with the parent material and easily slid into a standard receiver tube.
167p1sk.jpg

Couple pictures of the first pass around the reducer.
eju5fs.jpg

2d7a4h4.jpg

Couple pictures of the cover pass with a slight weave to increase the size of the fillet.
2vnnjvl.jpg

2s8gruq.jpg

All in all a pretty straightforward repair but it give a lot more surface area for the hitch pin to spread the load over.

Mike.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Repaired the passenger side power window switch in my 3rd gen 4 runner. The switch was working intermittently and only with a lot of pressure. Found a ton of carbon on the contacts. Cleaned if up with some 200 grit and it's working great now.

20160623_120740.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I finished up some replacement rings for my fakey beadlock wheels. The old rings were thin aluminum, and since they are only held on with 8 bolts they were very susceptible to damage, which you can see in this picture:

P1010571-L.jpg

The new ones are 3/16" steel, and have countersunk bolts so they shouldn't catch on stuff as easily. Should make a difference....

airmanwilliams

Did you just drill into the wheel to mount them? I would like to dress up the wheels a bit on my smoker trailer and have thought about buying the allied fake bead locks for a bit.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Did you just drill into the wheel to mount them? I would like to dress up the wheels a bit on my smoker trailer and have thought about buying the allied fake bead locks for a bit.

No, I just bolted them into the cast-in bolt bosses that were already there. They are fake beadlock wheels similar to this pic. Every 3rd bolt is an actual connector, the rest are just for looks.

59584d1331220863-mickey-thompson-wheels-classic_lock_black.jpg