General Tech What did you work on Today?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Maybe I should get one and put a plow on it?

...an F350 standard cab wouldn't be much less capable, would already have the axles and could tow a trailer mucho betterer than my JT in certain situations? Hrrrrmmmmm
Long term, I'm definitely going to swap either a 12v cummins into this thing or something else... They are just such neat trucks and so easy to work on, I'm not used to it haha. The hard thing is finding them without tons of rust. This one I was thinking was a super lucky find but it has been bondo'd in a few places so it's not as cherry as I thought. But for the price in this market I can't complain much. I'm just excited to plow my area with a warm heater and maybe only 30 min, instead of 1.5 hrs + on the atv!

ID Bronco

No really "Today" but I finally hit a milestone last night after about several days of figuring this out. The snowplow I picked up last summer came with brackets for a 2008 Superduty and not wanting to pay another $600 for new brackets for the 1982 F350, I decided to chop the existing brackets up and make them fit.

View attachment 167352

View attachment 167353

View attachment 167354

The lower angled tube is steering link tube and I used some old rusted heims to attach to tabs at the frame further back. As far as I can tell, this is going to be much stronger than the "oem" brackets for the plow. Crossing my fingers.
View attachment 167355
View attachment 167357

Now to hook up the plow and wire it up
View attachment 167356

Nice work, it makes me sick thinking of what I spent on the OEM setup on my Ram. The shop space and know how is paying off!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Nice work, it makes me sick thinking of what I spent on the OEM setup on my Ram. The shop space and know how is paying off!
My plow didn't come with the truck side wiring either and I'm looking at ~1k for everything. What. the. crap. Needless to say, I'm going to 3d print a controller of some sort and wire it all myself. Plow components are highway robbery!

ID Bronco

My plow didn't come with the truck side wiring either and I'm looking at ~1k for everything. What. the. crap. Needless to say, I'm going to 3d print a controller of some sort and wire it all myself. Plow components are highway robbery!

Agreed, it's all very expensive. I bet you could buy a used controller pretty cheap and then splice it to make it work with your system. I've had mounted Joystick type ones that I didn't like much, I prefer a handheld controller similar to a winch controller.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Maybe I should get one and put a plow on it?

...an F350 standard cab wouldn't be much less capable, would already have the axles and could tow a trailer mucho betterer than my JT in certain situations? Hrrrrmmmmm
4853484-1699065752-844856.jpg

Well, that's unique for sure

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Since I have a tractor with no implements, and an extra snow plow.. I combined the 2.

IMG_5630.jpg

Its the plow I had on my Colorado for a hand full of years. I just needed to add a receiver to the front of the tractor.

IMG_5629.jpg

The tractor has had a leak from where the hydraulic fluid screen is. After draining all the fluid, It still wouldn't stop dripping from where I needed the gasket. I didn't think I could keep it clean long enough for RTV gasket to set up, so I used some paper gasket maker.
This is the garage version of copy/cut/paste

IMG_5627.jpg IMG_5628.jpg

No leak so far.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
You need some basic implements for that rig. A rear blade and a box scraper would ratchet up your capability.

Yeah, I keep going back and forth between selling this one for UTV towable items, or spending more money to make this more what I want.
Or selling it and using the money to rent what I want when I need it.
Or just getting over my inner Ramsey and buy something much newer that I can’t afford.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Since I have a tractor with no implements, and an extra snow plow.. I combined the 2.

View attachment 167478

Its the plow I had on my Colorado for a hand full of years. I just needed to add a receiver to the front of the tractor.

View attachment 167475

The tractor has had a leak from where the hydraulic fluid screen is. After draining all the fluid, It still wouldn't stop dripping from where I needed the gasket. I didn't think I could keep it clean long enough for RTV gasket to set up, so I used some paper gasket maker.
This is the garage version of copy/cut/paste

View attachment 167477 View attachment 167476

No leak so far.
So you don't have a ball peen hammer or you're a millennial?

Here's what I worked on today....

Hooked up the last of the emission hoses on the air filter today, tightened the distributor bolt, and tried to drive the Scrambler around the neighborhood, thinking about a Sandhollow trip on Saturday. But no. Horrible banging clanking knocking sounds are coming from the transfer case. Somehow, while sitting for a year, something happened in the 205 case. Ugh. Before I pulled the engine, I drove it to the carwash and it drove fine (other than icky old engine sounds)

I think it's the t-case....in t-case neutral, doesn't make any noise in any of the gears in the transmission. But with the trans or t-case in gear or neutral (even coasting) the banging/knocking is pretty bad. Gonna pull the rear driveshaft to rule out the rear diff. Then I'm going to torch it. Er, I mean, start pulling stuff apart.