What do you tow with?

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
EKSJAE said:
i wouldnt think of towing anything with my cherokee that a full size half ton truck would pull. the rear axle may be considered a "HALF TON" but the susp, drive train, and body/frame are not.

In your opinion, what is the xj than?

My owners manual states that with the appropriate provisions you can tow 5,000 pounds. I dont know how that compares to half tons.

The short wheel base is really the only thing that concerns me about towing with mine.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
AINT SKEERED said:

My owners manual states that with the appropriate provisions you can tow 5,000 pounds. I dont know how that compares to half tons..

I towed a tent trailer with mine. That's about the limit, IMHO. I did tow another XJ on a trailer from Crescent Junction to Moab (about 40 mph tops) when we lost a tow rig once. SCARY.....(probably 6500 lbs)

Unibodies BRING the SUCK to tow with.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
mbryson said:
I towed a tent trailer with mine. That's about the limit, IMHO. I did tow another XJ on a trailer from Crescent Junction to Moab (about 40 mph tops) when we lost a tow rig once. SCARY.....(probably 6500 lbs)

Unibodies BRING the SUCK to tow with.

What was it that was so bad? Brakes? Power? Excessive sway? That is very far over the limit, especially without a weight distributing hitch.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
AINT SKEERED said:

1/4 ton, like a mini truck.(early toyota, datsun, isuzu pup)

my folks half ton suburban can pull a big bubbas 18' tandem axle trailer with my cherokee in it, i would never atempt to even pull the trailer alone with my jeep.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
EKSJAE said:

my folks half ton suburban can pull a big bubbas 18' tandem axle trailer with my cherokee in it, i would never atempt to even pull the trailer alone with my jeep.

I've had a lot more than 500 pounds in my cherokee and it did fine.
Hell I probably have close to 400 in it everyday.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
AINT SKEERED said:
What was it that was so bad? Brakes? Power? Excessive sway? That is very far over the limit, especially without a weight distributing hitch.

Here's the deal on towing with an XJ. The brakes suck, the 'frame' sucks, and you can feel the whole rig pulling apart with the load. If you want to tow with it, that's your perogative. I did a little and the only thing I felt comfortable towing was a pop-up tent trailer. You could probably get away with a snowmachine trailer with a couple sleds or 4 wheelers, but I really wouldn't go over 3000 lbs. It's not the power that's the problem. The 4.0L seems to have more power than you'd expect for towing. Excessive sway would be an issue over 3500 lbs, I'd assume. Like I said, I'd stick to some moderate loads and you'll be OK. There are better tow rigs (obviously), but there are also worse (I'm not sure what that would be short of a unibody car or RAV4 or similar).

I'd tow with an XJ before I towed with a coil sprung rear vehicle (say a ZJ or WJ). I'm not sure where I stand on a coil sprung Sub or Tahoe (no experience).

EKSJAE said:

You could get away with the trailer, even with a couple quads on it. I wouldn't go much more than that, though. (your unibody will hate you, though)

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
mbryson said:
Here's the deal on towing with an XJ. The brakes suck, the 'frame' sucks, and you can feel the whole rig pulling apart with the load. If you want to tow with it, that's your perogative. I did a little and the only thing I felt comfortable towing was a pop-up tent trailer. You could probably get away with a snowmachine trailer with a couple sleds or 4 wheelers, but I really wouldn't go over 3000 lbs. It's not the power that's the problem. The 4.0L seems to have more power than you'd expect for towing. Excessive sway would be an issue over 3500 lbs, I'd assume. Like I said, I'd stick to some moderate loads and you'll be OK. There are better, but there are also worse.

Please dont take my questions offensively. I really appreciate the information that you are giving me. I would just like to know what I should expect.