• keep cute little 302

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • put in big sexy 351c :)

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
this is more for curiosity.. i got a hook up for a good running 351c thats out of a EB. its a 90% drop in swap besides exhaust everthing else will bolt up. and i got 7 people wanting my 302 so i could sell it and have enough money left over for the Cleavland. the Cleavland has everything my 302 has rear sump oil pan,edlebrock performer alum intake,and is complete from top to bottom.

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
this is more for curiosity.. i got a hook up for a good running 351c thats out of a EB. its a 90% drop in swap besides exhaust everthing else will bolt up. and i got 7 people wanting my 302 so i could sell it and have enough money left over for the Cleavland. the Cleavland has everything my 302 has rear sump oil pan,edlebrock performer alum intake,and is complete from top to bottom.

Why on earth would you want to do that? Even the 2V cleveland will be down on low end torque, and by now most have paper thin cylinder walls. EB, are you sure it's a 351C?

351W EFI would be the most logical choice

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
huh??? i put it under drivetrain.

Yes... the 4x4 classifieds several has different sub-forums for different items; 4x4's, Tow Rigs & Trailers, Drivetrain, Tires & Wheels, Suspension, Recovery & Other parts, Free Stuff!, Wanted. They are all classifieds sections.

You started this thread under Classifieds>Drivetrain. I moved it to Technical Talk. You also started your Toyota SAS thread in the classifieds, which I moved.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
The cleveland 351 came in cars and is a great hot rod motor but for low end torque it was a boat anchor... if it came out of a bronco it would more then likely be a 351W which is a step up from the 302 you have... and it would be a direct drop in for you... I really double the 351C would be a direct drop in seeing its a big motor...

Now if it came out of a 78-79 bronco then you would be talking a 351M which is nothing more than a 400 down stroked to 351... and it was a great low end torque motor... but once again its a big motor too...

so with my little knowledge overstepped... if its the 351W I would definitely go for it!!!

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
The cleveland 351 came in cars and is a great hot rod motor but for low end torque it was a boat anchor... if it came out of a bronco it would more then likely be a 351W which is a step up from the 302 you have... and it would be a direct drop in for you... I really double the 351C would be a direct drop in seeing its a big motor...

Now if it came out of a 78-79 bronco then you would be talking a 351M which is nothing more than a 400 down stroked to 351... and it was a great low end torque motor... but once again its a big motor too...

so with my little knowledge overstepped... if its the 351W I would definitely go for it!!!

351M is one of THE WORST motors ever built, IMHO. I've had many, all have blown up aroun 150k.

The 351w and 351c are both improvements over the 302. There may not be a huge torque increase, but the 302 should have never gone into a truck, IMO.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
302s can make good HP&TQ when built correctly. I owned and built quite a few 11sec NA 5.0 daily driven 3200LB mustangs making 300-330 RWHP

The 302/351 have essentially the same cylinder heads. If you don't plan on adding some airflow to a 351, move on. The 93-95 5.8 lightning engine in the only stock windsor I'd bother with.

broncomitch

i do not want a Windsor. thats not the poll option.the Cleavland is a high horse power motor with 300bhp and over 250 ft pounds of toque. i know quite a few guys running the same drive train as i would and there just strait up bad ass. and have no problem what so ever crawling over rocks. its also a little thing called gears you guys :p and no the motor didnt come in the bronco stock, derrr. but they did come in many many trucks and vans and RV's and even boats lol

and this motor is a m code 1970 high compression high reeving motor.
The 351C 4V engines produced in 1970 and 1971 used this code. Engines varied in compression ratio; 1970 engines were 11.0:1 compression and produced 300 BHP @5400RPM, while 1971 versions had a slightly lower compression ratio of 10.7:1, and a reduced power output of 285BHP@5400 RPM.

The main difference between 351C/351M/400 engines is connecting rod length and main bearing size. The 351M/400 engines have the largest bearing size and the tallest deck height while sharing the 429/460 bell housing pattern. The 351C engine has a medium main bearing size (2.75") and shorter connecting rods (5.78") than the 351W (5.94") and the 351M/400 (6.58") while retaining the SBF (289-302w) engine mount locations and bell housing pattern. The 400 engine has the longest stroke (4.00") of any SBF or 335 series engine.
All of the 351C and 351M/400 engines differ from the 302/351W by having an integrated timing cover casting in the front of the block to which the radiator hose connects and bigger high flow head's.

the windsor&302 have nothing in coming at all with the 351c to 400engine's.. you can put 351c-400 heads on a 302/351w and have a clevor motor or build the windsor block up and have a boss 302.

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
i do not want a Windsor. thats not the poll option.the Cleavland is a high horse power motor with 300bhp and over 250 ft pounds of toque. i know quite a few guys running the same drive train as i would and there just strait up bad ass. and have no problem what so ever crawling over rocks. its also a little thing called gears you guys :p and no the motor didnt come in the bronco stock, derrr. but they did come in many many trucks and vans and RV's and even boats lol

and this motor is a m code 1970 high compression high reeving motor.
The 351C 4V engines produced in 1970 and 1971 used this code. Engines varied in compression ratio; 1970 engines were 11.0:1 compression and produced 300 BHP @5400RPM, while 1971 versions had a slightly lower compression ratio of 10.7:1, and a reduced power output of 285BHP@5400 RPM.

The main difference between 351C/351M/400 engines is connecting rod length and main bearing size. The 351M/400 engines have the largest bearing size and the tallest deck height while sharing the 429/460 bell housing pattern. The 351C engine has a medium main bearing size (2.75") and shorter connecting rods (5.78") than the 351W (5.94") and the 351M/400 (6.58") while retaining the SBF (289-302w) engine mount locations and bell housing pattern. The 400 engine has the longest stroke (4.00") of any SBF or 335 series engine.
All of the 351C and 351M/400 engines differ from the 302/351W by having an integrated timing cover casting in the front of the block to which the radiator hose connects and bigger high flow head's.

the windsor&302 have nothing in coming at all with the 351c to 400engine's

best of luck on your endeavor

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Cleveland heads aren't all that good. Understand, they were designed nearly 50 years ago with a limited understanding of airflow. They have poor low lift port velocity due to unnecessarily high port volume. The exhaust port takes hours to fill and reshape in order to get them working properly. There are dozens of aftermarket cylinder heads on the market that will bolt on directly, and run circles around production ford heads. The only time I've seen the 4Vs work well was in an comp mustang with an aftermarket block and a 400 shot of nitrous.

351W also has .25 larger main journals than the 351C which is more suited for low RPM. However, the C has oiling issues on the mains which requires restrictors and 100 psi of pressure to prevent high rpm oil starvation.

I doubt the OP will run into these variables though.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
why not get your truck together as is and actually wheel before starting completely over?

you have a good running 302 with PLENTY of power for a EB on 38s. Run the 302 for I dont know....like 15 years til its dead and then swap in something different.

I never did a motor swap that I didnt have to do.........

sixb

Will work for beer!
I voted for the 302 and I agree you should save the money for another project since it's obviously play money and not needed elsewhere. If it's not on the road then get it on the road with said money is my opinion.

notajeep

Just me
why not get your truck together as is and actually wheel before starting completely over?

you have a good running 302 with PLENTY of power for a EB on 38s. Run the 302 for I dont know....like 15 years til its dead and then swap in something different.

I never did a motor swap that I didnt have to do.........

Here is a smart man.

broncomitch

ya but if i do the swap ill be coming out ahead. $550 for the 302, $350 for the clevland, $200 to spend. $20 to fab the new pipe's in,$60 for new fluids(motor and tranny) $20 for a good paint job. leaves me $100 twards my gears. the bronco is not going any where besides driving around the mountain's till it gets gear's.

i dont hate the 302..its a really really good motor...its just small...really small...thats most of the resion why i want to swap the clevland in, its got big a$$ heads and a really strong bottom end and its a 90% a bolt in swap.:eek:

im not getting my tax's this year. my tax guy fu*#ed up and sent it to my bank for them to keep....that was my gear money.

so ether way the bronco is once again not going anywhere, just as i always said for many many years. :rofl:

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!

What!!!:eek:

cheston is telling someone to wheel more and not change a rig? GASP!!!:greg: :hickey:

I agree with him. get it together and wheel the every living piss out of it!