• keep cute little 302

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • put in big sexy 351c :)

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
not much to comprehending. the 351c is all around a better motor.

one thing you guys are not getting. i can not wheel the bronco till i get gears. its got 3.00 gears with a 205, not much i can do besides drive around. and need to put my tranny kit in the c6. i need probbably 700 bucks to wheel the bronco again..

GOAT

Back from the beyond
not much to comprehending. the 351c is all around a better motor.

one thing you guys are not getting. i can not wheel the bronco till i get gears. its got 3.00 gears with a 205, not much i can do besides drive around. and need to put my tranny kit in the c6. i need probbably 700 bucks to wheel the bronco again..

We'll have to agree to disagree about that.

You can invest 1k well of spent $
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/lomax205/index.html

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
What!!!:eek:

cheston is telling someone to wheel more and not change a rig? GASP!!!:greg: :hickey:

I agree with him. get it together and wheel the every living piss out of it!

maybe I FINALLY learned :rofl: Its just a lot easier to tell someone else what they should do than to be responsible myself.

BUT

I can give you a 1000000% gaurantee that you will not come out ahead by selling the 302 and buying the 351. I know it will cost you money to get it done. Whether it be the motor mounts wont work, exhaust will have to be completely redone, bad internal parts, doesnt matter what it is.....it will cost you more money which puts you even farther away from getting gears and wheeling.

There is no logical reason to sell your motor.

I really thought I would have come out ahead by selling the one tons and getting the Rockwells. I knew it would be close but I ended going over my budget about 300 bucks or so. Unforseen crap is just going to happen

I would also argue the 351c is a all around better motor to. More HP doesnt make it a better motor. How about parts? You go from a motor that you could get almost any part in stock to a motor that is extremely hard to find parts for.

That is all the advice I can give tho. You are just like me. If you want something you are just going to do it so...........

I would just really like to see this thing on a trail sooner than later

kake

ya but if i do the swap ill be coming out ahead. $550 for the 302, $350 for the clevland, $200 to spend. $20 to fab the new pipe's in,$60 for new fluids(motor and tranny) $20 for a good paint job. leaves me $100 twards my gears. the bronco is not going any where besides driving around the mountain's till it gets gear's.

i dont hate the 302..its a really really good motor...its just small...really small...thats most of the resion why i want to swap the clevland in, its got big a$$ heads and a really strong bottom end and its a 90% a bolt in swap.:eek:

im not getting my tax's this year. my tax guy fu*#ed up and sent it to my bank for them to keep....that was my gear money.

so ether way the bronco is once again not going anywhere, just as i always said for many many years. :rofl:

Why are you asking for opinions when youv'e already make up your mind? You're just wasting everybody's time. Sorry, but it's becoming a peeve of mine when I see guys asking for opinions on a topic that they have already talked themselves into.

barnsbronco

Im running about the same set-up on my eb and I love my 302. I thought It did alright with my 4.10s and 35's ,I am planning on goint to 37's someday so I just swapped to 4.88's. My vote is to keep your 302 and save your money to do a gear swap.

broncomitch

maybe I FINALLY learned :rofl: Its just a lot easier to tell someone else what they should do than to be responsible myself.

BUT

I can give you a 1000000% gaurantee that you will not come out ahead by selling the 302 and buying the 351. I know it will cost you money to get it done. Whether it be the motor mounts wont work, exhaust will have to be completely redone, bad internal parts, doesnt matter what it is.....it will cost you more money which puts you even farther away from getting gears and wheeling.

There is no logical reason to sell your motor.

I really thought I would have come out ahead by selling the one tons and getting the Rockwells. I knew it would be close but I ended going over my budget about 300 bucks or so. Unforseen crap is just going to happen

I would also argue the 351c is a all around better motor to. More HP doesnt make it a better motor. How about parts? You go from a motor that you could get almost any part in stock to a motor that is extremely hard to find parts for.

That is all the advice I can give tho. You are just like me. If you want something you are just going to do it so...........

I would just really like to see this thing on a trail sooner than later
didnt you half to use $600 of it for a payment?????

one would think we where brothers?? very odd lol im pritty sure.. a few people (even me) told you not to put rocks under the scout..thats its just perfect the way it is... and that you would never have it in time for moab...

its not that it has more HP, its bigger and stronger....with more HP. 99.99999999% why i want the 351c is it will fill that open crater motor compartment.

i have pritty much given up on trying to get if out on the trail, just not going to happen for a few years.

Why are you asking for opinions when youv'e already make up your mind? You're just wasting everybody's time. Sorry, but it's becoming a peeve of mine when I see guys asking for opinions on a topic that they have already talked themselves into.
if im wasting your time why are you replying?????? derrrr you just wasted more of your oh so pressous time by doing so. :rolleyes: and i stated its just to see what others think and i never said im going with the 351c did i? no. its for sure a want ,a very big want. i wanted to swap one in sense i got the bronco.

Im running about the same set-up on my eb and I love my 302. I thought It did alright with my 4.10s and 35's ,I am planning on goint to 37's someday so I just swapped to 4.88's. My vote is to keep your 302 and save your money to do a gear swap.
i loved my 302 with my 35's to...had fun for once. lol i have one queston for ya...have you ever been in a EB that has a 351c?....

Last edited:

LT.

I am starting to see others points of view and I am starting to understand them. I would also say to stay with the 302 not because you don't need another motor or anything like that but, because I would think that the gears and the tranny should be a priority first. I understand the quest for more power, believe me I do you have seen my dually and my new 440, however, all things considered I think that money would be better spent on the gears and the tranny. The saying that comes to mind is, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." You are better off with what you have then on what you could have.

LT.

barnsbronco

i loved my 302 with my 35's to...had fun for once. lol i have one queston for ya...have you ever been in a EB that has a 351c?....

Never have rode in a Bronc with a 351c. My buddy has one with a injected 351w and 37s, as far as rock crawling goes neither one of us lack the power to spin the tires. If you want to do the swap to do something different then go for it more power is always fun. But while you swap motors and wait for gears ill be wheeling with my tired old 302 and 35's.

broncomitch

its so sweet. the 302 and windsor are pritty same on the power range if the windsor is efi.

motor swap or not i will still be waiting on gears. thing is, im selling the 302 for the 351c. so ether keep the 302 and save for gears or swap the motors and still wait on gears, is the boat im in.

i do want the clevland cus it will be diffrent its a plus...the 302 and windsor in a EB is as comin as stickers on jeeps :rofl:
hard to part with the 302 cus im trying to get another EB so i could swap my 302 in it rather then rebuilding the one thats in it...been sitting sense 94...and its a gooood motor.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
its so sweet. the 302 and windsor are pritty same on the power range if the windsor is efi.

motor swap or not i will still be waiting on gears. thing is, im selling the 302 for the 351c. so ether keep the 302 and save for gears or swap the motors and still wait on gears, is the boat im in.

i do want the clevland cus it will be diffrent its a plus...the 302 and windsor in a EB is as comin as stickers on jeeps :rofl:
hard to part with the 302 cus im trying to get another EB so i could swap my 302 in it rather then rebuilding the one thats in it...been sitting sense 94...and its a gooood motor.

Different, then put a flathead in it:rolleyes:

I spent ten years of my life flailing a variety of Ford engines on dynos and flowbenches. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Dear god, just do it and prove us all wrong................

broncomitch

wow!!!!!! im so impressed !!! your like.....god!!!.....please teach us all you know master :bow:

take your eago someplace else buddy.. i dont really care what you think.:D

FACT!
the efi 351w is low on power cus of emmisions witch puts it close to the HP range of a older 302. derrr the stock 4v 302 puts out 250hp as the 4v 351w puts out 270 290HP according to FMCO. the newer motors HP dropped to 260 to 270 so the only bennifit to the newer windsor is that much stronger bottom end and efi.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Not that you'll listen, but you're going about it wrong. If the 302's that great, keep the engine and gear that POS. You already said you can't wheel it, even with the new engine, so what's the point? So you can pop the hood in your driveway and show people who stop by how cool you are because you're "different"?

A lot of very expierenced folks on here have given you some good advise. Listen to them, or continue to be the clown you're coming off as.

broncomitch

huh? i take everyones advice into account..besides know it all's.

no, thats not why, i cut out my wheel well's so its very very open....i dont like it....it looks stupid. i probbaly will keep the 302 for now..if it was a diffrent 351c i wouldnt care, but this is the seconed powerfull clevland apart from the boss 351c,and is hard to find.:-\

GOAT

Back from the beyond
huh? i take everyones advice into account..besides know it all's.

no, thats not why, i cut out my wheel well's so its very very open....i dont like it....it looks stupid. i probbaly will keep the 302 for now..if it was a diffrent 351c i wouldnt care, but this is the seconed powerfull clevland apart from the boss 351c,and is hard to find.:-\

Assuming you're referring to me, I'm definitely not a know it all. In fact, I am an amateur compared to others, and have probably forgotten most of what I learned over the years. This board is for the exchange of ideas and there are some experienced people on here. Example: If I had a question about building a comprig, I'd take someone like Bart's opinion seriously.

What you're describing (as best you can) makes no sense. The second most powerful 351c would still be a solid tappet, high compression, 4V. Have you ever driven one? I have. They have no lowend TQ, and because of that are pigs until they get to 4k. Not exactly what you need in a offroad vehicle with an auto trans. I wouldn't run a 2v much less a 4v in a truck. You need a flat torque curve, I.E: EFI. Carbs suck offroad.

The numbers you are quoting are pretty much irrelevant as they were inflated from the beginning, and the methods used to measure HP&TQ have changed several times. Look at the RPM these events are occuring.

You can image the look on look on an owners face when he strapped his 60K Boss 429 to my dyno and it made 290HP at the back wheels. This happened on many occasions. The old cars just didn't make the HP that people thought.

In the early 90s, we campaigned a mid 11sec NA 5.0 in a stock class that required a production EFI manifold, production heads, stock camshaft, max displacement of 306ci and a minimum weight of 3100.

Lesson, EFI 302s make good flat HP&TQ curves.

Last edited by a moderator:

ricsrx

I have a 351C 4v for my 69 Mach 1, I belive 1.that the bell housing is the same as a small block but the radiator out put is the same as a big block, 2. the 2v created better street performance because it had smaller valves and ports ie. more torque?

I still voted for the 351 4v because its my limited understanding that the BOSS 351 WAS the fasted out of the box stock ford prodused mustang ever made.........

broncomitch

Assuming you're referring to me, I'm definitely not a know it all. In fact, I am an amateur compared to others, and have probably forgotten most of what I learned over the years. This board is for the exchange of ideas and there are some experienced people on here. Example: If I had a question about building a comprig, I'd take some like Bart's opinion seriously.

What you're describing (as best you can) makes no sense. The second most powerful 351c would still be a solid tappet, high compression, 4V. Have you ever driven one? I have. They have no lowend TQ, and because of that are pigs until they get to 4k. Not exactly what you need in a offroad vehicle with an auto trans. I wouldn't run a 2v much less a 4v in a truck. You need a flat torque curve, I.E: EFI. Carbs suck offroad.

The numbers you are quoting are pretty much irrelevant as they were inflated from the beginning, and the methods used to measure HP&TQ have changed several times. Look at the RPM these events are occuring.

You can image the look on look on an owners face when he strapped his 60K Boss 429 to my dyno and it made 290HP at the back wheels. This happened on many occasions. The old cars just didn't make the HP that people thought.

In the early 90s, we campaigned a mid 11sec NA 5.0 in a stock class that required a production EFI manifold, production heads, stock camshaft, max displacement of 306ci and a minimum weight of 3100.

Lesson, EFI 302s make good flat HP&TQ curves.
no...i never drove one...did own one tho lol. (1971 boss 351c fast back mustang.)
very true that those HP numbers are at high rpm. and ya your right that the HP drops goung through the drive train.
thats not why i want the clevland tho. it could have lesser HP then then 302. i want it cose its a bigger motor and i like the clevland......so question.....cant i get like a RV,or off road cam for it to get some lowend TQ??? i like the 302..i really do. maybe ill get it some tall alum valve covers to make it look bigger. :rofl: so wondering...waht would you do the the clevland to get a lowerend TQ curve? and yes i relise i just said i dont care what you think... lol a BIG derrrrrrrrrr for me. lol

Last edited:

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
regardless of all the tech BS between the two motors, I just think that the main goal that we all have is to have fun on the trail. Having Just got back from Moab (thats 2 weeks this month) (Neener Neener!!) I can honestly say that the trail is what its all about. get it together and go make some memories!!!!! Before its all gone Go wheel the trails man! DO IT.

NOW!

WHy are you waiting?

GO!!!!!