• keep cute little 302

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • put in big sexy 351c :)

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GOAT

Back from the beyond
no...i never drove one...did own one tho lol. (1971 boss 351c fast back mustang.)
very true that those HP numbers are at high rpm. and ya your right that the HP drops goung through the drive train.
thats not why i want the clevland tho. it could have lesser HP then then 302. i want it cose its a bigger motor and i like the clevland......so question.....cant i get like a RV,or off road cam for it to get some lowend TQ??? i like the 302..i really do. maybe ill get it some tall alum valve covers to make it look bigger. :rofl: so wondering...waht would you do the the clevland to get a lowerend TQ curve? and yes i relise i just said i dont care what you think... lol a BIG derrrrrrrrrr for me. lol

Granted, of all the AC, Shelbys, Machs and Boss mustangs I beat on over the years, the Boss 351 was one of the only ones that lived up to some of the hype. It had 4.30s though. Oh, and a 429SCJ Torino 4spd dragpac got it as well:cool:

Gotta say, you would be wasting your time trying to get and RV cam to work on the 4V.

If this is indeed a verifiable boss 351 engine that you are looking at, I say go for it. Then sell it and use the money to build your rig right.

U

unltd1

I'd just like to take a moment to assume that this is the first ever post by a girl in the technical talk section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I claim this spot for all womanhood!!!!

DER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i understand NOTHING on this entire thread.

Crankylove

Crankylove
Based on my humble and limited experiences with Ford motors (untill I got my '68 XL 500 a couple years ago, I was die hard Chevy), I would keep the 302. I have no idea how hard and invlolved a swap would be, or how the motors stack up against each other HP and TQ wise; but, you said yourself, you have a good 302 that it sounds like you had been happy with up to this point. And it kinda sounds like the 302/351 swap you are wanting now, is only because you found a good deal on the new motor. If the current motor works, I would run it untill it explodes or seizes. If what you have works, I would stick with it untill there is a real need to change it. Just my opinion though, it is after all your truck, time, and money.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd just like to take a moment to assume that this is the first ever post by a girl in the technical talk section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I claim this spot for all womanhood!!!!

DER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i understand NOTHING on this entire thread.

Get back in the kitche... err, chit-chat! -_-

:p

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
i think there was a miss understanding about the 351c.. its not the boss/r motor..but is the m code motor. the higher comperssion higher HP 351c then the other ones that are on the lower side of compression and HP.. if it was the boss i wouldnt even bother with this poll hahaha.

dont know what happened to the one in my mustang went to...i went back to the org owner i got the car from and he put a gun in my face before i even got a word out...guy was a bit of a nut job...

casper customs

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm isnt the cleveland the same block as the modified hmmm I dont think it will bolt up to your trans

get the tranny fixed and lets wheel :D

p.s. Eric says he wont help build your tranny if you swap motors

Fester

302, from experience. It's my understanding that the only difference between say the '70 4V Cleveland and the '71 Boss blocks is the Boss block is a ~4 bolt main, but the bolt spacing is tight so it's not that big of a deal. I started with a '70 4V, and everyone is right.....it's low end sucked. I decided to build it and dumped $7k+ into it. Now it is a Boss block, stroked, with alum. heads. The only way to get a better torque curve is to epoxy the heads or buy alum. ones, and I wouldn't do either for a crawler. The ports on a 4V Cleveland are just too big. Ever want EFI? You'll have more (and cheaper) options with a Windsor or 302. If you decide to run a 351C, at least think twice before you dump any money into building it.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm isnt the cleveland the same block as the modified hmmm I dont think it will bolt up to your trans

get the tranny fixed and lets wheel :D

p.s. Eric says he wont help build your tranny if you swap motors
the 351c has the small bell housing bolt patern. the 351m and 400 have the big bellhousing bolt patern. its a direct bolt in from the 302. lol ummmm i hate black maile lol -_-

302, from experience. It's my understanding that the only difference between say the '70 4V Cleveland and the '71 Boss blocks is the Boss block is a ~4 bolt main, but the bolt spacing is tight so it's not that big of a deal. I started with a '70 4V, and everyone is right.....it's low end sucked. I decided to build it and dumped $7k+ into it. Now it is a Boss block, stroked, with alum. heads. The only way to get a better torque curve is to epoxy the heads or buy alum. ones, and I wouldn't do either for a crawler. The ports on a 4V Cleveland are just too big. Ever want EFI? You'll have more (and cheaper) options with a Windsor or 302. If you decide to run a 351C, at least think twice before you dump any money into building it.
oh heavens no. lol its got the bolt main,solid lifters,higher comperssion and much more. its a really built motor. there are chepaer ways for efi that you can put on any motor. the windsor is a sweet motor as well..even better with the gt40 heads (like the ones off a 90's 5.0 mustang) and with the much bigger bottom end then the 302 makes it a strong motor as well.