Where to go for short getaway, preferably using 4wd...

Troop92

Hey guys. A few buddies and I are planning a weekend (or during the week) away before one in the group has their second kid in June. Due to schedules and things we're having a hard time getting as big of a chunk of time as we'd hoped. So, I appeal to you seasoned wheelers/campers - where should we go given the following criteria:

When: May 2015

Starting point: Layton, UT

Duration: two full days and one night

Accommodations: camping

Rigs: All 4wd. Least capable stock '99 4Runner, most capable '03 TJ locked on 33s. Two winches among the group. Sliders 3 of the 4.

We want wheeling to be involved, either to arrive at destination, or near enough to wheel then go back to camp. We'll have two full days and the night. Driving somewhere fine, but don't want to spend all our time pavement driving, obviously.

So... what do you think?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Moab in a heart beat. 4 hour drive. Leave early on day one, active before lunch. Hit a good trail, into town for dinner. Good times around the fire before bed.. Sleeping out under the stars of course..
Arise early, onto trails right after breakfast, could hit 2 good trails. Fast food dinner on the way home, arrive home late the second day.

There, I just planned it for you :)

Tonkaman

Moab is s great option to keep it simple. I prefer destination trips personally. I'd plan a loose route though all of the swell, around escalate, or something similar

Shane

Kyle there is a couple nice spots up by my place. I just got home from a camping on the backside of Willard Peak. Not really any hard core wheeling but there is plenty of offroading to be had, lots of mudholes and a couple of challenging hills to climb. It's early enough in the year that ya can go play up in the snow too.
090402.jpg

20150424_092041.jpg

Attachments

• 090402.jpg
    090402.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 10

rustyjeep21

Providence canyon, into hardware ranch, camp, out through Millville canyon or left hand fork? Sure its not Moab but it's also not as busy. We've done this several times and always had fun. Lots of exploring to be done. You could even dirt road it up into the Preston/Paris/bear lake area from there if you wanted more off road time.

Troop92

Moab in a heart beat. 4 hour drive. Leave early on day one, active before lunch. Hit a good trail, into town for dinner. Good times around the fire before bed.. Sleeping out under the stars of course..
Arise early, onto trails right after breakfast, could hit 2 good trails. Fast food dinner on the way home, arrive home late the second day.

There, I just planned it for you :)

Haha, thanks. There are a few mitigating circumstances that put Moab out of the picture, unfortunately. Love Moab, would really like to get back (after Trooper/Jiffy Lube fiasco), but that will have to wait until fall, most likely.

Moab is s great option to keep it simple. I prefer destination trips personally. I'd plan a loose route though all of the swell, around escalate, or something similar

I would say the Swell through comb wash, devil's racetrack, fix it pass, and back. Fun stuff, close to home, mostly dirt.

Never been to the Swell, pretty sure none in the group have... I'll have to research that.

Kyle there is a couple nice spots up by my place. I just got home from a camping on the backside of Willard Peak. Not really any hard core wheeling but there is plenty of offroading to be had, lots of mudholes and a couple of challenging hills to climb. It's early enough in the year that ya can go play up in the snow too.

I do love it up there... I'll pm you for info.

Providence canyon, into hardware ranch, camp, out through Millville canyon or left hand fork? Sure its not Moab but it's also not as busy. We've done this several times and always had fun. Lots of exploring to be done. You could even dirt road it up into the Preston/Paris/bear lake area from there if you wanted more off road time.

Can you get into Hardware? Isn't it closed off this time of year? Or do you mean access via Providence and circumvent the gates?

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Most of the Swell, from what I've read, is simple dirt roads. Devils racetrack, fix it pass, and black Dragon are the exceptions (with a few others I'm sure). But you are 3.5 hours to dirt from Layton, then lots of cool scenery and a few obstacles to boot.

I would love to guide you (not to invite myself or anything) if the dates worked out. I have a score to settle with fix it pass...

BoostedRNR

Hardware is open. Give it a week or two and everything should be open. We just came down the rock garden that connects hardware and left hand two weeks ago.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was just talking to a co-worker about the Deep Creeks. It would be a great place to explore for a couple days but I'd probably want another night I think. DAA did a great write up on EXUT on his trip last year, I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: Here you go..... Deep Creeks, June '14 - DAA

DAA

If you've never been out on the Swell and very mild wheeling will scratch that itch, I think that's probably what I'd suggest for two days, one night. Buckhorn down to Fixit, Devils Race Track and camp around Lone Warrior/Swasey's cabin Day One. Eagle Canyon, Eva Connover, Coal Wash out and home Day Two.

- DAA

Troop92

Most of the Swell, from what I've read, is simple dirt roads. Devils racetrack, fix it pass, and black Dragon are the exceptions (with a few others I'm sure). But you are 3.5 hours to dirt from Layton, then lots of cool scenery and a few obstacles to boot.

I would love to guide you (not to invite myself or anything) if the dates worked out. I have a score to settle with fix it pass...
Sounds like a cool place. While we're not looking for anything ridiculously hard core, the option of something more than just a dirt road is appealing. I don't usually count dirt roads as "off road." :D

I was just talking to a co-worker about the Deep Creeks. It would be a great place to explore for a couple days but I'd probably want another night I think. DAA did a great write up on EXUT on his trip last year, I'll see if I can find it

Our initial plan was Wendover to St George on dirt (another DAA trip) but can't swung the time.

How late in May? American Fork Canyon is our go-to spot for an overnight wheeling trip, but doesn't open until Memorial Day.

Before Memorial Day, most likely. That late is too close to the due date.

If you've never been out on the Swell and very mild wheeling will scratch that itch, I think that's probably what I'd suggest for two days, one night. Buckhorn down to Fixit, Devils Race Track and camp around Lone Warrior/Swasey's cabin Day One. Eagle Canyon, Eva Connover, Coal Wash out and home Day Two.

- DAA

Yet another for the Swell. Nice.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Just start in wendover, check out the deep creeks and drive till your out of time. No real need for and end destination it just makes deadlines that must be kept

Troop92

Just start in wendover, check out the deep creeks and drive till your out of time. No real need for and end destination it just makes deadlines that must be kept

That sounds awesome to me, but Anthony is the deciding factor and he likes harder stuff. A dirt road or two-track probably won't cut it for him...

OrangeSkidPlate

The rock garden at left hand fork might be a little too rough for a stock 4Runner. My buddy took his up and down it and he was dragging on every rock and had a few traction issues because it was slick. One option might be going up Milliville canyon in Cache valley and coming down Logan Canyon. It definitely isn't a long trail but it has some decent views.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have not been but a co-worker likes the area up around Left Hand Fork. I may have to try that some time.

For a quick weekend trip I would still vote Moab. Four + hours and you are there ready to hit the trails. Close to town for dinner/fuel and is awesome this time of year.

We just got back a few weeks ago and the temps were high 60's daytime/low 40's evenings. Perfect.

Mike.

Troop92

The rock garden at left hand fork might be a little too rough for a stock 4Runner. My buddy took his up and down it and he was dragging on every rock and had a few traction issues because it was slick.

He corrected me yesterday. Mild (1") suspension lift and slightly oversized Cooper ATPs. Thanks for the heads up. As it's his wive's DD, good to know.

I have not been but a co-worker likes the area up around Left Hand Fork. I may have to try that some time.

I've been all over Left Hand and Hardware, up Logan Peak. Beautiful area, if not overly challenging. The rock garden and Providence Canyon offer challenges, but I've never been

For a quick weekend trip I would still vote Moab. Four + hours and you are there ready to hit the trails. Close to town for dinner/fuel and is awesome this time of year.

We just got back a few weeks ago and the temps were high 60's daytime/low 40's evenings. Perfect.

Mike.

I know, Moab is logical, but we're trying to make it enjoyable for all. We have two pretty capable vehicles, and two that aren't. And there's another mitigating factor... Moab is out, I think.

Tonkaman

Don't just think of the Moab trail system when considering that area. Remember all the surrounding areas like needles, island in the sky, maze, glen canyon, beef basin, etc. Many of these places do require permits to camp but you can just camp outside of the park and explore during the daytime, or pass straight through