Where to go for short getaway, preferably using 4wd...

Troop92

Don't just think of the Moab trail system when considering that area. Remember all the surrounding areas like needles, island in the sky, maze, glen canyon, beef basin, etc. Many of these places do require permits to camp but you can just camp outside of the park and explore during the daytime, or pass straight through

Good point...

DAA

Using Moab as a jumping off point for a one night camping trip out of Layton makes no sense to me.

For a quick overnighter, with some fairly stockish-don't-want-to-hurt-them vehicles in the group, I still say Wedge-Buckhorn-Fixit-DRT, camp, Eagle-Eva-Coal. Especially since you've never been there.

Just do that. You'll like it. There isn't anywhere that your buddy in his wife's rig can have fun and your hard core buddies can also have "wheeling fun" on the same trails at the same time. One of these things is not like the other, and all that...

Fixit and DRT have just enough "obstacle" that your buddy in his wife's rig will need to be careful in a couple spots else he'll have some 'splaining to do when he gets home, but if he can drive, he'll escape without any damage and thinking it was way cool. If your other buddies like scenery or rock art or anything like that, they'll be okay too. And there is one spot on each of those two trails where if they want to get creative with lines and try running stuff backwards or whatever they might even find something challenging. Heck, they could even roll their junk if they really want to (some guys seem to like that stuff...).

- DAA

Tonkaman

Using Moab as a jumping off point for a one night camping trip out of Layton makes no sense to me.

For a quick overnighter, with some fairly stockish-don't-want-to-hurt-them vehicles in the group, I still say Wedge-Buckhorn-Fixit-DRT, camp, Eagle-Eva-Coal. Especially since you've never been there.

Just do that. You'll like it. There isn't anywhere that your buddy in his wife's rig can have fun and your hard core buddies can also have "wheeling fun" on the same trails at the same time. One of these things is not like the other, and all that...

Fixit and DRT have just enough "obstacle" that your buddy in his wife's rig will need to be careful in a couple spots else he'll have some 'splaining to do when he gets home, but if he can drive, he'll escape without any damage and thinking it was way cool. If your other buddies like scenery or rock art or anything like that, they'll be okay too. And there is one spot on each of those two trails where if they want to get creative with lines and try running stuff backwards or whatever they might even find something challenging. Heck, they could even roll their junk if they really want to (some guys seem to like that stuff...).

- DAA

This is the best advise yet

Toad

My favorite camping/wheeling area is in Idaho. Road that connects Preston to Bear Lake/Montpelier. Nothing to wild by any means. I can think of one trail in particular that will be fun for everyone. Best part about being up there is the people. Or lack of. I hate Prov/Millville/Hardware for that reason. You can go check out Paris ice caves. Bloomington Lake. Im sure you could still find some snow to get stuck in also.

rustyjeep21

^^^ from Preston to Paris ice caves you could take the German subway. The built rigs could bypass the switchbacks to add some excitement. You could check out the ice caves camp by Bloomington and come out the next day through franklin basin to Logan canyon.

Troop92

I still say Wedge-Buckhorn-Fixit-DRT, camp, Eagle-Eva-Coal. Especially since you've never been there.

Just do that. You'll like it.
- DAA

I think this is what we're leaning to, honestly. I think the stock rig is backing out. So we have:

~ 2003 TJ lifted, lockers, armor, winch, 33s
~ 2002 WJ V8 lifted, limited f/r, armor, 32s
~ 2003 Isuzu Rodeo lifted, limited rear, armor, crap 31s.

I think it would be good to see it, be there, we can make it hard if we want... And plan on longer and more challenging like next time when we have more time. None of us have been there, I'm excited about it.

Troop92

So, now that the destination is determined... what's the best map to get so as not to spend too much time driving aimlessly? Any particular thing to see along the way?

DAA

The BLM travel map for the area is really good and helpful. I'd give you one, but I'm out - don't even have one left for myself. Need to get more.

- DAA

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I didn't know the BLM had one. Is that the same as the big doublesided one the county issues? I had one of those but I can't find it, I need another.

Troop92

The BLM travel map for the area is really good and helpful. I'd give you one, but I'm out - don't even have one left for myself. Need to get more.

- DAA

I'll get one in price on the way. The Swell is a definite go! After looking at everything, pics and video, I'm really excited. It'll be a good opener for my WJ.

Is everything down there fairly well marked and easy to find if following the map? What would you all suggest for routes to spread out the "more challengingl stuff over two days - what DAA suggested above? Wedge-Buckhorn-Fixit-DRT, camp, Eagle-Eva-Coal?

Last edited: