Where to go for short getaway, preferably using 4wd...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'll get one in price on the way. The Swell is a definite go! After looking at everything, pics and video, I'm really excited. It'll be a good opener for my WJ.

Is everything down there fairly well marked and easy to find if following the map? What would you all suggest for routes to spread out the "more challengingl stuff over two days - what DAA suggested above? Wedge-Buckhorn-Fixit-DRT, camp, Eagle-Eva-Coal?

"More challenging" is just going to be sections of Fixit and Devil's Racetrack. Everything else is going to range from absolute cake (Buckhorn) to "hey this scenic road/trail has some bumps in it" (Eagle Canyon).

Troop92

"More challenging" is just going to be sections of Fixit and Devil's Racetrack. Everything else is going to range from absolute cake (Buckhorn) to "hey this scenic road/trail has some bumps in it" (Eagle Canyon).

I get that, and that'll be perfect. Last time we all did a Moab trip, I was exhausted and took an extra day off when we got home. We did too much and pushed too hard. With only having one night I'm not looking to overdo. Just wondered best route/breakup is all.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'd play it by ear. You'll probably come off Devil's Racetrack ready to camp, but if you spend too long checking out neat stuff on Buckhorn you might wanna camp between Fixit and DRT.

Troop92

I'd play it by ear. You'll probably come off Devil's Racetrack ready to camp, but if you spend too long checking out neat stuff on Buckhorn you might wanna camp between Fixit and DRT.

We'll have all day, leaving Layton by 7:30am. Get there, take it easy, stop at sights along the way, have a good time.

If you've never been out on the Swell and very mild wheeling will scratch that itch, I think that's probably what I'd suggest for two days, one night. Buckhorn down to Fixit, Devils Race Track and camp around Lone Warrior/Swasey's cabin Day One. Eagle Canyon, Eva Connover, Coal Wash out and home Day Two.

- DAA

On my list for this summer. (And last summer but didn't make it)

Troop92

.... and after all the planning for the Swell, we're changing the game again. Leave early Thursday to explore Five Mile in depth, maybe hit up Little Moab, camp somewhere along the way. Much the same Friday and home.

Honestly, I'm happy with that. Minimal drive time to destination, I'll be able to acclimate to driving my solid-front rig (never had one before) on Rattlesnake, and it'll be in the company of good friend.