Which rv/5th wheel solution for full time?

sixstringsteve

Plus, if you get a truck you can't say you live in a van down by the river :D

Bingo

With the miata sold, we're ready to pull the trigger on the right E350. It turns out that the 7.3Ls are more expensive and more rare than a similarly priced excursion or f350.

sixstringsteve

Let's hope so. Though at the current price, it's going to be a while before we can afford an airstream. :(

That being said, this whole minimalist lifestyle has really freed up a lot of money, and we're saving like crazy now.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
If only this one didn't have a 3" body lift. Yuck. The bumpers and front shock hoops would need to be relocated, which wouldn't be TOO much work I suppose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...=100204&rk=23&rkt=30&mehot=pp&sd=301700550717

Wow, being 4x4, that might be a great way to go. I don't know if you'd need a massive body lift to do 4x4 on that van or not but I'd imagine you can do something different. Seems like a pretty fair price for a 4x4 conversion. I'd probably want to know all the details about the swap before bidding, though.

I don't know for sure but I 'think' the van 7.3L didn't have an intercooler? Totally not a deal breaker but will not perform quite as well as the truck version. The 7.3L engines can last a LONG time 500-600k miles. Usually anything light duty is pretty used up by then.

sixstringsteve

I think you might be right about them not having an intercooler. I need to do some research. The massive body lift sucks, but that van has some great parts on it. He wants $30k though. If it didn't have a body lift I may be tempted to pay close to that, but I'm not super excited to pay that kind of money and still need to modify it further.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

If that were a 7.3L with 115k miles, then it'd be a great price. These vans go for A LOT more than an expedition or f350.

sixstringsteve

haha, now I know my problem! I'm not looking in the dirt bikes section of KSL for vans. I'm betting that's a 6.0.

EDIT: yup, it's a 6.0

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Man, I can get a new ecoboost transit for $33k. I know quigly has a 4x4 conversion for those. I wonder if ujoint will hop on board.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That wouldn't scare me in the least bit. Quigley knows their stuff.
I still think a 6.0 is a good motor with the right stuff done to it.
You should research to confirm, but I believe the van 6.0 doesn't have the EGR cooler issues (because it has no egr) and head gasket issue (because of lower boost levels).