Which rv/5th wheel solution for full time?

idahoyj

Im close, 4 minutes away after i get off work. I could scope it out if needed. If this guys last name is Reinstein, I kind of know him. I went on the rubicon with him once. He has a BUNCH of cool stuff out there.

idahoyj

I'm off at 5.
Its a different guy than I thought, but I know this guy too. His place is actually closer to my work than the guy I was thinking of. I don't know the Mike that posted the ad, but the other phone number on the website is for the guy I know. His name is Jeremy.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

They close at 5, so no big deal.

I need to see if the sliding door is going to be a problem once I go to big tires on it.

idahoyj

Call and talk to Jeremy. Hes smart. Maybe let him know Josh Martin will stop and scope it out after hours tonight.
If its not behind the fence, I can stop and look at it anyway. I can take measurements etc.

sixstringsteve

Call and talk to Jeremy. Hes smart. Maybe let him know Josh Martin will stop and scope it out after hours tonight.
If its not behind the fence, I can stop and look at it anyway. I can take measurements etc.

Jeremy said he can stick around 'till 5:20. Thanks Josh, I really appreciate it. Just look for stuff like smoking, rust, cosmetic or mechanical issues. Thanks again.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Steve,

Something I just thought of that might be important to you is fresh/gray/black water tank capacities.
Without sufficient tank capacity, you are limited in how long you can stay away from civilization.
There are portable tanks so you wouldn't have to hook up and move the trailer, but they can get nasty.

One of the prime features that drew us to our trailer was the 86 gal fresh water and 90 gal comb. gray/black tanks.
By myself, I bet I could make it last more than a month. With the wife about a 4-day weekend.

I generally carry drinking water separately since the fresh from the trailer tastes like plastic

sixstringsteve

Thanks again idahoyj, that was really nice of you to check that out for me.

I'm going to pass on that one. Sounds like it needs tranny work. Thanks for finding that stratton.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member

I'm going to pass on that one. Sounds like it needs tranny work. Thanks for finding that stratton.

No problem. For that price and those miles you might could talk the guy down a little and fix the tranny. You'll still be significantly under budget.
Heck you could buy a brand new ats trans and still be under budget. http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/product.asp?p=3063224277&u=Transmissions

or even a built one http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/product.asp?p=3093224277&u=Transmission-Packages

idahoyj

No problem. Bummer to have to give you the bad news about the trans, but glad I could tell you about it instead of you having to come up here to find out yourself.

Have you driven any 7.3l vans? This was my first and I was surprised that it had quite a bit less power than the 2002 7.3l that I had. I forgot to look specifically for an inter cooler, but I don't think there was one. That could be part of it. Also, might have a weaker tune than the 2002 (stock) tune?

The trans was slow on the on the 2-3 shift and then it would shift HARD. That might just be an adjustment or a solenoid? I'm not a mechanic, and I still think auto trans are full of magic dust.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
You selling this?

Unofficially for now. I need to do some work on the injectors to get it back to top running condition. I would sell it now, but the buyer will have to assume the cost of repairs, but at a reduced price - say $4000 as is. It is driveable now, but runs rough. I don't want to high jack this thread, so PM me if you need anything else.