Which rv/5th wheel solution for full time?

sixstringsteve

I hope to retire my '15 GMC 3500 to towing only duties soon. I have been contemplating and gathering info on doing a dually swap. I have the 6.5' bed and dually' came in 8'. I'm hoping to be able to get an 8' dually bed and cut the flat parts of the bed down to match bed length and wheel wells. Weld together, paint prep, get it painted , swap axles and have a not so massive dually. I hope it happens. I pull my 35' fifth wheel nearly every other weekend and they usual work trailer towing duties.

How does it tow right now? How much does your trailer weigh?

sixstringsteve

We went shopping this past weekend and we learned a lot (videos coming soon). I became smitten with airstreams. Deep inside I'm not sure they're the right solution for me, but I want an airstream more than anything right now. If I had a million dollars, I'd build a 7.3L E350 van, throw a little 4" lift and 33s on it, 4wd conversion, and use it as a storage shed for bikes, camping gear, etc. and tow an airstream behind it. I can't wait to post the airstream video, there are some really cool things going on inside.

Cascadia

Undecided
My truck toes awesome and I can't say there are any drawbacks to it. With 765 lbs of torque there's always plenty when needed. My trailer weighs probably 15k lbs fully loaded for a race weekend. I don't need the dually but it wouldn't hurt for those super windy stretches of crosswinds. I wanted a dually long bed. She didn't bi figure what I have planned is a compromise if it happens.

sixstringsteve

My wife and I are really liking the idea of towing an airstream with a 4x4 E350 with the 7.3L. It sounds like the e350s had a slightly detuned 7.3L Powerstroke. What kind of life expectancy can I expect out of a stock 7.3L PS? Can I get 250k without any major rebuilding?

Caleb

Yes, absolutely. When I traded-in my 99 F350, I had nearly 300K on the stock 7.3L (294K or something like that). It still ran like a top and I had zero issues with it.

sixstringsteve

awesome, that's great to know. thanks caleb.

Other options include a 7.3L Excursion or an 8.1L Suburban. The e350 4x4 conversion would be the most expensive, but it'd give us a ton of room inside for bikes, camping gear, and possibly a bed if we need to for a quick overnighter. The wheels are turning in my head...

sixstringsteve

It'd be my tow rig, towing the airstream behind. It'd also be our DD. But 4x4 vans are double the price of a suburban, so it's going to be tough to justify it. And airstreams are already so expensive that we may not have a ton of $ left over after we buy the airstream. I'm emotionally excited about an airstream, but I need to make sure I'm making a smart decision, not just the exciting one.

sixstringsteve

I really don't think I could justify the price of a 4x4 van conversion, but if I could, I'd get something like this.

[video=youtube;0jAHceV40Zs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jAHceV40Zs[/video]

and just because chris' rig is so awesome, I'll post a vid of it too. He's got a camper shell that loads onto this flatbed.

[video=youtube;bA_qYaGeX8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA_qYaGeX8E[/video]

[video=youtube;mQwYbRwWt78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQwYbRwWt78[/video]

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I like the way you're going with this. Super light weight (compared to other recent options), easy to maneuver and maintain.
I would go for an excursion over the van. Remove the rear seats, plenty of space for bikes and gear. Enough room to sleep as well. Parts will be a little easier to get over a conversion van.

sixstringsteve

I need to check out some suburbans and excursions and measure the inside dimensions. The vans are just too expensive, but they'd be my top choice if money were no option.

sixstringsteve

Yes he does. I believe he loves it. I almost bought one a few years back. I may have to hit him up and see if he'll let me take some measurements of the inside. Now that we're talking suburbans, here's one of my favorites:

suburban_monument_valley.jpg

and then there's this cool one with a westfalia pop top grafted in.

692a339b51076fce745b663147ab79e8.jpg

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
You could do a suburban and air stream, then you would be a modern day version of the 'promised land' tv show!

sixstringsteve

I think a van would give us the most room inside, and anything else would be a compromise. I'm going to have to take some measurements.