Who drinks, who doesn't/ and state why.

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
embabe said:
Since most of my reason is based on religion, I won't say much. These pictures speak for themselves:
Yes, but eating too many fatty foods (bacon anyone?) can do the same thing to your liver. Alcohol's not good for ya, but it's not the only thing that will destroy your liver. your liver is your body's filter, everything goes through there and all the crap you put in your body will end up in your liver.

V-DAWG

someday
Chiksic said:
Yes, but eating too many fatty foods (bacon anyone?) can do the same thing to your liver. Alcohol's not good for ya, but it's not the only thing that will destroy your liver. your liver is your body's filter, everything goes through there and all the crap you put in your body will end up in your liver.

That brings up another question....why would anyone eat liver?

embabe

My own epidemic!
Chiksic said:

Ummmmm..... No.... Do I need to whip out my books, or are you going to trust me that I know plenty about the subject and that you are wrong? Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm studying the health sciences field and I'm pretty well educated on the subject.;)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
When I was 19 I worked several days a week next to a train station where we always had a drunk show up to find food in the trash bins. He would hold his bottle in one hand and dig with the other, and when he found anything that remotely looked like food he would eat it. In the five months I was there he never changed his clothes or cleaned himself up. The worst part about it was that because he drank so much he had to relieve himself often, but he was too drunk to bother unzipping so he just went in his disgustingly stained pants. Cured me forever of ever wanting to touch the stuff.
Dave

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
embabe said:
Ummmmm..... No.... Do I need to whip out my books, or are you going to trust me that I know plenty about the subject and that you are wrong? Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm studying the health sciences field and I'm pretty well educated on the subject.;)
Your liver does filter your blood.

The body depends on the liver to perform a number of vital functions , and although there is substantial overlap, they can be divided into three basic categories:
regulation, synthesis, and secretion of many substances important in maintaining the body's normal state
storage of important nutrients such as glycogen (glucose), vitamins, and minerals,
purification, transformation, and clearance of waste products, drugs, and toxins

Lipids. Cholesterol, a type of lipid, is a substance found in cell membranes that helps maintain the physical integrity of cells. The liver synthesizes cholesterol, which is then packaged and distributed to the body to be sued or excreted into bile for removal from the body. Increased cholesterol concentrations in bile may predispose to gallstone formation.

The liver also synthesizes lipoproteins, which are made up of cholesterol, triglycerides (containing fatty acids), phospholipids, and proteins. Lipoproteins circulate in the blood and shuttle cholesterol and fatty acids (an energy source) between the liver and body tissues. Most liver diseases do not significantly affect serum lipid levels, with the exception of cholestatic diseases, which may be associated with increased levels.

Drugs. Nearly all drugs are modified or degraded in the liver. In particular, oral drugs are absorbed by the gut and transported via the portal circulation to the liver. In the liver, drugs may undergo first-pass metabolism, a process in which they are modified, activated, or inactivated before they enter the systemic circulation, or they may be left unchanged.

Toxins. The liver is generally responsible for detoxifying chemical agents and poisons, whether ingested or inhaled. Pre-existing liver disease may inhibit or alter detoxification processes and thus increase the toxic effects of these agents. Additionally, exposure to chemicals or toxins may directly affect the liver, ranging from mild dysfunction to severe and life-threatening damage.

source: http://janis7hepc.com/Your Liver Functions.htm

Caleb

Chiksic said:

The body depends on the liver to perform a number of vital functions , and although there is substantial overlap, they can be divided into three basic categories:
regulation, synthesis, and secretion of many substances important in maintaining the body's normal state
storage of important nutrients such as glycogen (glucose), vitamins, and minerals,
purification, transformation, and clearance of waste products, drugs, and toxins

Lipids. Cholesterol, a type of lipid, is a substance found in cell membranes that helps maintain the physical integrity of cells. The liver synthesizes cholesterol, which is then packaged and distributed to the body to be sued or excreted into bile for removal from the body. Increased cholesterol concentrations in bile may predispose to gallstone formation.

The liver also synthesizes lipoproteins, which are made up of cholesterol, triglycerides (containing fatty acids), phospholipids, and proteins. Lipoproteins circulate in the blood and shuttle cholesterol and fatty acids (an energy source) between the liver and body tissues. Most liver diseases do not significantly affect serum lipid levels, with the exception of cholestatic diseases, which may be associated with increased levels.

Drugs. Nearly all drugs are modified or degraded in the liver. In particular, oral drugs are absorbed by the gut and transported via the portal circulation to the liver. In the liver, drugs may undergo first-pass metabolism, a process in which they are modified, activated, or inactivated before they enter the systemic circulation, or they may be left unchanged.

Toxins. The liver is generally responsible for detoxifying chemical agents and poisons, whether ingested or inhaled. Pre-existing liver disease may inhibit or alter detoxification processes and thus increase the toxic effects of these agents. Additionally, exposure to chemicals or toxins may directly affect the liver, ranging from mild dysfunction to severe and life-threatening damage.

cat fight, cat fight!!! :D

ok not really, all that says is that it moves cholesterol from the liver to other parts of the body so it can be processed elsewhere. Read the second paragraph that starts with Lipids.

embabe

My own epidemic!
Chiksic said:

I don't argue that your liver has a *part* in the process of filtering your blood among other things-- rather, I was stating that you were incorrect in the fact that you can contract the disease known as cirrhosis from "eating too many fatty foods". I would also recommend, if you're going to referrence a website, using a site that is accredited by the medical/scientific community. Sorry, I don't want to come across as rude, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people act like they know what they're talking about when they only have a hint of a clue.

Last edited:

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
embabe said:
I don't argue that your liver has a *part* in the process of filtering your blood among other things-- rather, I was stating that you were incorrect in the fact that you can contract the disease known as cirrhosis from "eating too many fatty foods". I would also recommend, if you're going to referrence a website, using a site that is accredited by the medical/scientific community. Sorry, I don't want to come across as rude, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people act like they know what they're talking about when they only have a hint of a clue.
Yeah I know it's just a random site, but I was going for speed. I didn't want to pull out my health books and type it. Sounds like we agree, though. I didn't mean you can get cirrhosis, I meant it can damage your liver. That was my bad for not clarifying or saying what I meant in the first place. :)

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
Supergper said:
cat fight, cat fight!!! :D

ok not really, all that says is that it moves cholesterol from the liver to other parts of the body so it can be processed elsewhere. Read the second paragraph that starts with Lipids.
Under Lipids (I think this is what you're talking about): The liver synthesizes cholesterol, which is then packaged and distributed to the body to be sued or excreted into bile for removal from the body.

It synthesizes it, and after that it either distributes it or excretes it to bile (also produced by the liver). Soooo my point still remains. :p

embabe

My own epidemic!
Chiksic said:
Under Lipids (I think this is what you're talking about): The liver synthesizes cholesterol, which is then packaged and distributed to the body to be sued or excreted into bile for removal from the body.

It synthesizes it, and after that it either distributes it or excretes it to bile (also produced by the liver). Soooo my point still remains. :p

If you really wanted a cat fight, I could have pointed out every flaw in the info from the link she used, but I'd rather not. If you want to get specific though, I'd be more than glad to start another thread where I tell you exactly how all this works... right down to the molecule. ;)

(btw: yes, the liver synthesizes the bile, but the bile is not composed of "lipids". Rather, bile assists in the break down of lipids. AND you'd have to eat INCREDIBLY large amounts of fat to even touch your liver because you'd damage something else severely first.)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Cody said:
I drink because I like beer. I seldom drink to get drunk--but sometimes it's fun. If they made a non-alcaholic beer that tasted good, I'd drink it--but they don't.

I'm not an angry drunk (at least very very rarely) but, like you, I fail to understand why people who are angry drunks continue to drink--it's not fun to be angry. The times I do get drunk I be sure and do it responsibly--sometimes it's fun to let loose, let loose your inhibitions, and forget about the every day crap that goes on for a couple hours. For every irresponsible drinker, every alcaholic, and every person who abuses alcahol, there are 100 people who drink responsibly.

I respect everyones choice to drink or not drink. It's not for everyone. I just hate it when people try to limit my choices because they don't agree with them.

As far as nothing good coming from drinking--I guess it depends on how you look at it. I can't think of anything good that comes from eating bacon either, but I still eat it.

Cody

I agree 100%. Thanks for typing this so I don't have to. :D

I love a good cold one here and there. But alcohol is just like any other drug... too much will cause problems on many levels and can be abused very easily.

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
embabe said:
If you really wanted a cat fight, I could have pointed out every flaw in the info from the link she used, but I'd rather not. If you want to get specific though, I'd be more than glad to start another thread where I tell you exactly how all this works... right down to the molecule. ;)

(btw: yes, the liver synthesizes the bile, but the bile is not composed of "lipids". Rather, bile assists in the break down of lipids. AND you'd have to eat INCREDIBLY large amounts of fat to even touch your liver because you'd damage something else severely first.)
I know bile isn't made of lipids lol I dunno where you got that idea. We don't have to get technical, my only point is alcohol isn't the only thing that damages your liver. Just look how many americans are diabetic because of foods they consume. Everyone gives alcohol a bad rap for killing your liver, when there's a ton of other crap out there we injest regularly that have more of a chance to kill us.

embabe

My own epidemic!
"Cirrhosis of the liver is an outcome of a variety of causes including alcohol consumption, exposure to various drugs and toxic chemicals, viral hepatitis, and other viral and infectious diseases (Dufour et al. 1993). Based on a literature review, it has been estimated that alcohol consumption is a major contributor in 41 to 95 percent of deaths from cirrhosis and the related condition of alcoholic hepatitis (Day 1977). Based on these percentages, in 1998 from 10,374 to 24,038 cirrhosis deaths may be attributed to excessive alcohol use."
"From 1970 through 1998, anywhere from 6 to 70 percent (depending on year and age group) of all cirrhosis deaths were coded as alcohol-related,
even though some researchers believe alcohol may contribute to up to 95 percent of all deaths from cirrhosis (Powell and Klatskin, 1968)."

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Cirr98.pdf

Does that clarify a little?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
5DollerShake said:
While I found the comparisson of Beer To Bacon humerous there is one fundmental dissension. Bacon does not impare and eradicate ones ability to function rationaly. While it may indeed kill you the consumption of massive amounts of bacon is less likely to occur to the point where your life is lost due to it in the short term. While eating bacon there is no impaired judgment or inability to ration intake that is not habitually contemporary. Whereas with alchohol as has been stated it is concurrent and exponential with increasing quantity's.

My point wasn't to debate the differing physiological effects of bacon and beer. It was simply to illustrate that there are a host of things in life that have zero positive effects yet we still allow them to happen without question. In terms of beer and bacon (my two favorite foods :D ), both substances can kill you if consumed unchecked and both of them can become a major problem if combined with certain pre-existing criteria (for example, a pre-disposition for addiction would be a particularly good reason not to drink--as would a family tree full of heart disease and high blood pressure for bacon).

One may also base there decision to consume (or not consume) based on their core values (the intrinsic values you refer to) which are socially constructed through adult guidance and peer interactions. These are extremely legitimate sources to construct values based on--and consequently are the same sources I use to base my differing set of core values. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ in the consumption of alcohol in my mind—just what is right or wrong for you. People make decisions based upon different experiences and values and that has to be respected.

It’s just too bad that so many people abuse substances…..it is definitely a problem in our country that isn’t about to disappear.

Personally, I will never allow myself to become dependent on any outside substance (with an asterisk to prescription drugs that I may require in my golden years ;) ) and if I ever find myself in that position I will do what ever necessary to end it. Right now, I feel I have no dependency on alcohol—I can easily give up beer without any side effect aside from remorse (just like I would be remorseful if I had to give up bacon). But beer is good so lets not be hasty. :D

Cody

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
mbryson said:
I'm SURE TRNDRVR will .........
6:12AM, having a beer as I write this. 9% :eek: Then again, I've been up all night and getting ready for bed. Alcohol=Sominex!!! ;)

Good night (morning)
Dan.

<edit> My beer fridge!!!
beer%20stash.JPG

Not a single Utah beer in there anywhere. All imported and illegal!!!

Last edited: