Who has had Shop/ garage built?

harkinoff

something to do...
I've been talking to contractors and, what a bunch of flakes in this town. Who has had good luck with a contractor building a Shop or Garage. I'm looking at a 24'x36' shop, looked at Sutherlands kits, around 7500.00 plus concrete/labor. Maybe go with a shop from scratch? who do you know....experiences? Thanks.

harkinoff

something to do...
James K said:
I built mine 5 or 6 years ago. Did it myself with a little help from friends.
I know a concrete guy that I trust.

The concrete guys are the flakes I've been dealing with... Finding a trusty concrete man would be a good thing. Who? :D

CJJ92yj

I know my dad recently built a shop that is 24'x36' and the crew that built it for him made it from 4x6 posts with 2x6 "beams" running horizontal. He had that built, with a monolithic pour of concrete, metal siding and metal roof, insulated, and 1/2" plywood on all walls, with (2) 9'x8' doors, (1) walk in door, and (2) smaller windows. He only paid $10,000, but he had the base already in place. He had a bunch of cinder gravel poured in the back yard about 4 years before he built the garage. He just parked in different spots over the years to pack down the gravel. Hasn't had any problems with it yet. He wired it all himself though, so that wasn't included in the price.

harkinoff

something to do...
CJJ92yj said:
I know my dad recently built a shop that is 24'x36' and the crew that built it for him made it from 4x6 posts with 2x6 "beams" running horizontal. He had that built, with a monolithic pour of concrete, metal siding and metal roof, insulated, and 1/2" plywood on all walls, with (2) 9'x8' doors, (1) walk in door, and (2) smaller windows. He only paid $10,000, but he had the base already in place. He had a bunch of cinder gravel poured in the back yard about 4 years before he built the garage. He just parked in different spots over the years to pack down the gravel. Hasn't had any problems with it yet. He wired it all himself though, so that wasn't included in the price.

That's a pretty good price, even with the high steel prices. Sounds like a pole building? Who built it?

CJJ92yj

harkinoff said:
That's a pretty good price, even with the high steel prices. Sounds like a pole building? Who built it?

I'd have to ask him tonight. He lives in Idaho. I think it was a company out of Idaho Falls. But I'm sure there are companies like that around here.

R

rockdog

harkinoff said:
Randy, I did my own. It,s not that hard to do. I think i was only about 2600 bucks to do it. That was before steel prices went up. It's 26x36 Used railroad switch ties. Heres a pic.

Attachments

• random pictures 036.jpg
    random pictures 036.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 50

Caleb

I'm of no help right now :D BUT, when I move I plan to build a nice shop...I am planning on doing an all steel building, depending on the size of lot I end up getting I am likely going to go 30x40 or 30x50 and nice and TALL...I know its going to cost more to build and more to heat BUT I want to be able to eventually put a lift in and have plenty of room...if you haven't already, check out PBB, the shop section has a ton of threads about shop build-ups and ideas (that is if you are looking for ideas) but it prolly wont help much as far as contractors and that goes...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Supergper said:
I may be wrong but I *think* he is refering to the big wooden log things but square :D or maybe not :p
ok......duh .........they would be longer then regular RR ties because they have to go under at the area where they switch. ;)

R

rockdog

Railroad switch ties are long railroad ties used at switch points where one track
goes into two sets of track. Usually 12 to 16 feet long. I used 15 footers with three feet buried in the ground, for the uprights. Gives you a twelve foot ceiling.
Pole buildings are the cheapest way to go for a shed or garage.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Tacoma said:
f'real?

I could use some of those ties m'self.

Switch ties or normal? There's a whole bunch of regular ones near you. They are well used and have been picked thru though. PM me if you want to know where.

fjcruisin

Greg said:
Switch ties or normal? There's a whole bunch of regular ones near you. They are well used and have been picked thru though. PM me if you want to know where.

I need 18 normal ties in GOOD condition for a project, but they are going to be cut into shorter pieces so maybe some "well used" ones will work too, depends on the price and overall condition.