Who has had Shop/ garage built?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
fjcruisin said:
I need 18 normal ties in GOOD condition for a project, but they are going to be cut into shorter pieces so maybe some "well used" ones will work too, depends on the price and overall condition.

Good ties are hard to come by... the ones I know of have been well picked thru, but free. PM me for info.

You can buy bundles of 2nd hand, good condition RR ties from contractors-

http://www.akrailroad.com/ties.asp

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
1505 South Redwood Road Salt Lake City, UT 84104

that's their local address. I wonder, how much are brand new ties? Oh, I know... I'll call Monday! gee whiz.

Tough to beat free. I know there are a bunch laying alongside the track across the field here but somehow I don't think those are the ones you meant LOL

Greg

Admin
Tacoma said:
1505 South Redwood Road Salt Lake City, UT 84104

that's their local address. I wonder, how much are brand new ties? Oh, I know... I'll call Monday! gee whiz.

Tough to beat free. I know there are a bunch laying alongside the track across the field here but somehow I don't think those are the ones you meant LOL

The ones they sell are 2nd hand... used. You can buy them in 4 diffrent grades, from near-new to near-falling apart.

The ones by alongside the tracks? Yeah, those are the ones I'm talking about. I helped remove most of 'em. We had a derailment early last year & had to replace about 2500 ties.

Got your PM... I'll reply.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
nah, the ones I mean are on the line to the Depot... and they're nice and new...

Derailment... hmmm I think I took pics from the top of the point of the Oquirruhs.... dig it go into kind of a watery ditch? I'll have to look for that.

oh that only describes like, the whole RR along the shore... DURRRRR sorry LOL

Greg

Admin
Tacoma said:
nah, the ones I mean are on the line to the Depot... and they're nice and new...

Derailment... hmmm I think I took pics from the top of the point of the Oquirruhs.... dig it go into kind of a watery ditch? I'll have to look for that.

oh that only describes like, the whole RR along the shore... DURRRRR sorry LOL

Oh, yeah... the Deopt. Those aren't ours, so I wouldn't recommend helping yourself. :p

The derailment wasn't big at all, one car derailed but it took out about a 1/4 mile of ties.

Sorry for the RR Tie hijack Randy. :)

harkinoff

something to do...
Did some checkin on wood vs. steel buildings, seems they are about the same price. Steel buildings seems to be the easier to build and all, what are some experiences in this? I'm not a carpenter so metal seems the way for me?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
harkinoff said:
Did some checkin on wood vs. steel buildings, seems they are about the same price. Steel buildings seems to be the easier to build and all, what are some experiences in this? I'm not a carpenter so metal seems the way for me?
Are you looking at building this down in the lower field? That would be very sweet!!

harkinoff

something to do...
Shawn said:
Are you looking at building this down in the lower field? That would be very sweet!!

No, its going on new property we just signed on... I would like to build a shop over here but I think the inlaws are looking at selling in a few years?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
harkinoff said:
No, its going on new property we just signed on... I would like to build a shop over here but I think the inlaws are looking at selling in a few years?
Trying not to get off topic but, where?

This is way cool news!!

harkinoff

something to do...
South Jordan... I am way stoked to finally have my own domain again :cool: couldn't find anything on the east side that has any property to build on that was a sensible buy. You can get a newer house for less money and more land over there. I just didn't want to build on the inlaws land, the price was right, it just wasn't what I wanted. This house is located at 9800s and 1800 west, real nice area, and prices look as if they are going to go up in that area...

Caleb

harkinoff said:

thats the same things I have found...IMO, a steel would last longer/better being there is VERY little up keep...ofcourse depending on how you build wood there could be very little up keep too...I still say steel...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
harkinoff said:
South Jordan... I am way stoked to finally have my own domain again :cool: couldn't find anything on the east side that has any property to build on that was a sensible buy. You can get a newer house for less money and more land over there. I just didn't want to build on the inlaws land, the price was right, it just wasn't what I wanted. This house is located at 9800s and 1800 west, real nice area, and prices look as if they are going to go up in that area...
I am very happy for you two.....three ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harkinoff

something to do...
Thanks man...Amber is pretty excited as well, little Shelby, it may take her a few more years, the place does come with a huge ass jungle gym thingy :cool:...... I may need to borrow the old white hauler, got a concrete pad to remove, if that's coool?

harkinoff

something to do...
Supergper said:
thats the same things I have found...IMO, a steel would last longer/better being there is VERY little up keep...ofcourse depending on how you build wood there could be very little up keep too...I still say steel...
plus the metal kits are pre-assembled sorta thing. where the wood one would be measure a 100 times cut once sorta thing.

Caleb

harkinoff said:
plus the metal kits are pre-assembled sorta thing. where the wood one would be measure a 100 times cut once sorta thing.

yep, look at Camos build on PBB...I believe between he and a couple buddys they had his shop up in a weekend I believe...he went steel...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
harkinoff said:

have you checked to see if the city you're moving to will allow a steel building? some will not allow a steel building in certain areas.

harkinoff

something to do...
James K said:
have you checked to see if the city you're moving to will allow a steel building? some will not allow a steel building in certain areas.

Yeppers, just checked today.. also checked with county records on any ccr's against steel buildings. So far everything looks like a go, except for the people moving out. I will start checking on concrete again after they are out, its kinda of a pain getting permission everytime to have a contractor come over to give an estimate. Thanks for all the concrete #'s from everyone, I'll be busy..THANKS