Why blur your license plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hmm... The DMV site says differently... http://dmv.utah.gov/privacy.html It basically says there are only certain circumstances that they can release that information. Most people can not just "go to the DMV, fill out a form, provide ID, and get you name and address from your plate #."

I've used a plate number on an abandoned Jeep to find the owner. Went to his house to inquire about it. Got all the info from the DMV for $15. :eek:

I'll bet that 95% of the regulars on here don't even know my first name, let alone my full name.

M*^%@$.. :eek: :p

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Okay, so identity theft (I'm still looking for evidence of anyone ever having their identity stolen from a license plate), is that it? Is that why you blur your plate? Come on plate blurrers. I know you're out there. Speak up! Is it identity theft you're worried about?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm with Braden on this... sure there are a bunch of "what ifs" but overall it poses littler or no risk. You can get the same owner info from the VIN of a car, and folks post those up all over, never heard of an issue there. For a small fee you can find anything out about a person, I don't think a license plate number or lack thereof is going to cause much of an issue. Now, if your posting pics of your rig in Forest Lake, I would go ahead and blur the plates... but as I recall it wasn't the plates that got his identity posted all over the internet. ;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I always thought it was for this reason. If you are not on the trails then you might get a ticket in the mail. But i can see how the weenies, i mean greenies, could use it against someone.

So stay on the damn trail... -_- This doesn't explain the thousands of blurred license plates posted on roads, in driveways, on trails, etc.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm with Braden on this... sure there are a bunch of "what ifs" but overall it poses littler or no risk. You can get the same owner info from the VIN of a car, and folks post those up all over, never heard of an issue there. For a small fee you can find anything out about a person, I don't think a license plate number or lack thereof is going to cause much of an issue. Now, if your posting pics of your rig in Forest Lake, I would go ahead and blur the plates... but as I recall it wasn't the plates that got his identity posted all over the internet. ;)
Woohoo, backup! :)

JoeT

I think people just do it because they think they are protecting their privacy. It just gives a false sense of protection. Why not just walk over to a car and write down VIN #? What's easier to change? Plate or VIN? Yes some older cas/trucks are just 2 little pop rivets away from pulling the VIN tag. And I'm with the MonkeyBoy on this one.

Meat_

Banned
If someone who's been on the net since before Al Gore invented it and someone in law enforcement telling you it's a bad idea isn't enough to convince you then you guys just go right ahead and keep posting your info.
I think people just do it because they think they are protecting their privacy. It just gives a false sense of protection. Why not just walk over to a car and write down VIN #? What's easier to change? Plate or VIN? Yes some older cas/trucks are just 2 little pop rivets away from pulling the VIN tag. And I'm with the MonkeyBoy on this one.
So.... you're going to walk up into a picture on the internet and write down the VIN? :confused:
So, I got to page 5 and my eyes went crossed. Would you be a very kind person and tell me how that story ended? I'm assuming he was found by his license plate number? :confused:

There are many summaries around, here's one

Last edited:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i blurred mine cuz herzog blurred his:confused:

i think thats most of it, for example

i see someone else do it, and think there has to be a good reason for it or they wouldnt bother. even though i dont understand why, i figure it isnt going to hurt anything, so i blurr mine out as well.

i think your trying to get all of us to stop blurring so you can gleeb all of our identities -_-

JoeT

If someone who's been on the net since before Al Gore invented it and someone in law enforcement telling you it's a bad idea isn't enough to convince you then you guys just go right ahead and keep posting your info.

So.... your going to walk up into a picture on the internet and write down the VIN? :confused:

There are many summaries around, here's one

OK smartass.-_- I meant in a parking lot. Think about how many times in online car ads the VIN is posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.