Why blur your license plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeT

So, I got to page 5 and my eyes went crossed. Would you be a very kind person and tell me how that story ended? I'm assuming he was found by his license plate number? :confused:

Charlie Wenzel sold a part to someone. Then wanted more money for the part before he shipped said part. Part was posted as new. Buyer posted on Pirate. Got real ugly as the parts were discovered not new. Wenzel got owned pirate style real fast as this story spread all over the net. People were posting his address, high school pics, family info, pics of family and cars etc.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
okay, so what are you going to get from the DMV? Name, address, phone number? You can get millions of those by opening up the phone book. An Identity thief is not going to pay the DMV for this info when they can just open a free phone book. I bet you can't get the DMV to give you a driver's license number, and according to them, they never give out SSNs. I still haven't seen a single case of identity theft by license plate.

I think most people see other people do it, so they do. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a credible threat that would make it worthwhile to blur mine from now on.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Along the lines of personal privacy.

Go here

http://www.progressive.com/

Enter your zip code, then name and address on the next screen, and suddenly you know what cars you own??? what is with that? I can learn more about the cars Rockmonkey owns with that than he probably want me to know. Do I bother sneeking by his house to steal a Mazda mirror if he does not own a Mazda?

No I did not look up rockmonkeys cars, and no I don't need a mazda mirror.

JoeT

I think most people see other people do it, so they do. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a credible threat that would make it worthwhile to blur mine from now on.

DING DING DING we have a winner!! As far as posting VIN's on the net, not sure if it's good or bad.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Charlie Wenzel sold a part to someone. Then wanted more money for the part before he shipped said part. Part was posted as new. Buyer posted on Pirate. Got real ugly as the parts were discovered not new. Wenzel got owned pirate style real fast as this story spread all over the net. People were posting his address, high school pics, family info, pics of family and cars etc.

Now I believe if you read the post he never stated they were brand new he said they were "Bran New" which could mean something entirely different :D

My guess is people blur their plates because it gives them a warm fuzzy inside that they are preventing their identity and/or rig from being stolen. I doubt there are very many case of this actually happening but warm fuzzies are kind of nice (depending on why you are feeling them of course).

Medsker

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Denial = warm fuzzy feeling ;)

"Denial" promotes the fact that there have been documented cases of theft resulting from a license plate in an online picture. Show me some examples (Wenzel is NOT one, his info was found by countless sources) and I might change my stance... until then... black helicopters are hovering above Lehi... you've already told me too much!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
"Denial" promotes the fact that there have been documented cases of theft resulting from a license plate in an online picture. Show me some examples (Wenzel is NOT one, his info was found by countless sources) and I might change my stance... until then... black helicopters are hovering above Lehi... you've already told me too much!

:rofl::rofl:

Cherokeester

It's way worse giving your credit card to the waiter at any restaurant, yet nobody posts threads about that. My license plate? I got way more important things to think about.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It's way worse giving your credit card to the waiter at any restaurant, yet nobody posts threads about that. My license plate? I got way more important things to think about.

Or gas station... checks are even worse, they have your name, addy, dl# and bank account info, AND your signiture :eek:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Don't you keep that in the bottom of your purse? It's completley secure;)

Whatcha talkin about Willis? If I lose my checkbook, they don't have my signiture or drivers license number, assuming I lose both my wallet and my checkbook, yes I'm f'ed, but knock on wood, it hasn't happened. Plus, I keep them in a fanny pack, I know when its there ;)

When I travel I often only carry neccessities in a waterproof necklace, cash, id, a low limit card and a house key, everything else is locked away safe ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.