why o why?????//

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
My wife was complaining about this today, mostly because neither of us remembered that UT has its parades today, and not the PROPER day. :mad: So we missed the parade. :(

Lifelong Jeeper

I'll pipe in as well...

In the past it didn't bother me that the 4th was celebrated on the Saturday before...contrary to my wife's opinion, but this year I hold it in different regard.

I consider the event of celebrating the 4th as one of solemnity and appreciation to those who have fought and died for our freedoms. What better act can we do than remember and celebrate in appreciation toward those who have gone before us and to God than cover our hearts and say thank you. Sounds like a great activity that still can "keep the sabath day holy".

Whether you're religious or not, I don't think that celebrating our "Nation Under God" as a bad thing on Sunday.

jdub

Scrambler
I am celebrating the holiday Saturday, Sunday and Monday. But yeah it is very confusing. I do get an extra day off though!!! I googled it, the actual day: July 4, 1776 was on a Thursday, I was hoping for a Sunday. I actually don't know that the cities here in utah county have any issue with the two days events, It spreads out the time that cash flows to the parade, fireworks etc. We had fireworks on Sat. and Monday will be the parade. That and those who observe the sabbath probably won't be out and enjoying the holiday if it were on Sunday which equals less cash.

Interesting Point Lifelong, I agree, freedom of religion is what makes our country desirable to most, Christmas, of course, due to it's religious origin is celebrated on Sunday but can be considered just as commercial of an event. New years unlike the others I have mentioned as far as any specific religious ties is celebrated on the day it lies... It is the "keep the sabbath day holy" that you said, many refrain from patronizing businesses or spending money on that day, so once again the city needs the money.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I agree, freedom of religion is what makes our country desirable to most, Christmas, of course, due to it's religious origin is celebrated on Sunday but can be considered just as commercial of an event. New years unlike the others I have mentioned as far as any specific religious ties is celebrated on the day it lies... It is the "keep the sabbath day holy" that you said, many refrain from patronizing businesses or spending money on that day, so once again the city needs the money.

Agree with some of the above statement

It does strike me as a odd that the 4th is being celebrated on the 3rd, but im a bit indifferent.

My observation is the "no spending on the sabbath" belief seems to be only when convenient. I've asked individuals to get together on sunday, and they tell me they cannot do anything that will cause anyone to work or spend money on sabbath. Puzzled, I then advise them to shut off their water, gas, electricity, and phone. I also advise them not to bother calling the cops, fire department, paramedics, and to tell everyone at hill AFB to take the day off. For consistencies sake;)

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
my second job is a pizza delivery job and I get more orders right after church lets out then any other time on sunday... I even took a call once from a women that was still in church at the time... so this BS about not causing anyone to work or spending money on the sabbath just shows me how hypocritical they can be at times....

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
It is easy for me to honor God and celebrate Independance Day on Sunday. I have set off fireworks every July 4th since I was 7 years old (1937) and have never let a Sunday stop me before. What the Government and individuals do is up to them not a church. What they do within a church is up to each individual no matter what the standards might be.

bull7467

The Yellow Jeep Squad
Some people may disagree with me, but i like when the 4th falls on a Sunday. I feel that Independence isnt so much about the day as the spirit. As has been stated many men and women have died to give us freedoms that we have today. Whether you are celebrating today tommorrow or yesterday, I hope that all remeber and honor them. As for us 'utards' that celebrated yesterday, today and tommorrow,:greg: Sorry if the noise keeps you up.

Most cities in Texas did their fireworks on Saturday as well. It's not just a "Utah" thing. It's an issue of practicality.

ttora4runner

Back when I worked at taco bell I hated working fast sunday because it was so damn busy with people sneaking in to grab some food.

HaHaHa. I remember those days while going to college up in Rexburg.

I think celebrating the 4th of July on Saturday is a Utah thing. Born and raised in Missouri and we celebrated it on Sunday when the 4th fell on it.

Last edited:

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
This one bothers me too. If it falls on the 4th--celebrate it on the 4th.

As for the whole sabbath thing...I love shopping on Sundays in Bountiful--there is very little traffic and the lines in the stores are very short assuming the store is actually open.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
It is easy for me to honor God and celebrate Independance Day on Sunday. I have set off fireworks every July 4th since I was 7 years old (1937) and have never let a Sunday stop me before. What the Government and individuals do is up to them not a church. What they do within a church is up to each individual no matter what the standards might be.

jack, if we could only instill that same logic and common sense in the people of today, we'd be a lot better off.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Most cities in Texas did their fireworks on Saturday as well. It's not just a "Utah" thing. It's an issue of practicality.

my buddies back home confirmed that for me today.

As far as I see it, SLC and surrounding townships had to celebrate independence on the 3rd. Sugarhouse barely had enough dough for this years event, and there wouldn't be any chance next year if it was held on a sunday and nobody showed up.

it is what it is, hypocrisy notwithstanding.

CJ Matt

July 4th or any other holiday should be celibrated on the day it falls on! That is one of the things that really bothered me about Utah.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
my buddies back home confirmed that for me today.

As far as I see it, SLC and surrounding townships had to celebrate independence on the 3rd. Sugarhouse barely had enough dough for this years event, and there wouldn't be any chance next year if it was held on a sunday and nobody showed up.

it is what it is, hypocrisy notwithstanding.

Uh, they had an excess of 10K in dough which is now going to next years show.