Official Will An Off-Road Trailer Work For Me? The Off-Road Trailer Conundrum

MOODY

Bald Guy
I did a trip with Ali and his Kamparoo Cub through E-Hill. It was tight in a few spots but he made it through completely unscathed.

Post some pics of your new trailer!

Ali and I have been swapping emails, as I want to upgrade the trailer tires to a 15" rim and a heavier duty tire. I am hoping to get out for the weekend and try it out. I will be able to get some photos then...

R.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
This thread needs some more photos...

Ali's rig and trailer.. From fall of 2007?

100_1043.jpg

100_0893.jpg

MOODY

Bald Guy
This is Chris's photo (who I bought the trailer from) from when he bought the trailer...it remains the same.

Attachments

• kamparoo.jpg
    kamparoo.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 67

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Habe a pickup bed trailer, and this has been on my mind for the last month, mod it to the point a RTT could be attached to its sidewalls, and then I would have a 4.5' or so high area below the RTT in the bed for storage, hell, double decker sleeping arrangements, whatever, tailgate could be the "kitchen Counter", Cooler belwo the gate, for added shade....

Gonna have to figure this out, and If I mod the axles to the same lug pattern as the truck, the trailer can carry two spares on the tongue 1 for it, and 1 for the Centurion.

And if i used its tanks for transfer/storage tanks, I would have 70 gallons of fuel capacity.

Another thought is instead of a RT, a bottomless army tent, 10x10 or so. and have the side racks fold out to make metal platforms for mattresses, and then a bed on the floor... Sort of Jumping Jack trailer style.

The ideas are kicking, we just need to get it reconfigured...and then go from there.

I've been considering doing the same with mine, but I'm starting to think that I'll spend more retrofitting the pickup bed than I will just making a new trailer from scratch.

If you end up making it work, I'd love to see it.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have been looking at one of these at the Mark Miller used car lot on state street.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rough-rider/

Here is one a guy had custom made to his specifications...I love it!!
[YOUTUBE]lhdl0ibO43I[/YOUTUBE]

They are BEEFY...not quite on par with some of the more experienced offroad trailer companies but the skid plating and pintle hitch are a good start as well as the tire/wheel combo. They come with a 12V battery system as well as a 110v system with an RV hookup. They don't do sinks or stoves on the rough rider probably because of durability issues but it has a good start. I think the one at the dealership was coming in at about 9k$ which is pricey compared to the base model on which it is derived but I am not finding a lot of cons for owning a trailer especially considering my needs. I love the idea of setting up a base camp and calling it good or pulling it through some lighter trails.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've not seen one of those in person but they do look like pretty neat setups especially for base-camping and light trail duty. I've added them to the list of trailers in post #2

machrism

Pretty sure it was mentioned already but not reading the four pages. Military trailers are cheap and think getting one and modding it would be a good idea. The 101 are 3/4 ton I think and 105 are 1 1/2. Id get the 105 because its not too big and carries alot more. Plus the are so tuff!

sixb

Will work for beer!
I plan on turning this into my off-road hunting and fishing trailer. Gonna set it up to carry around 50 gallons of water, 20 gallons of diesel, 10 gallons of gasoline a four wheeler and hope to still have room for a couple of elk or deer quartered up.

Attachments

• 0731011040a.jpg
    0731011040a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 19

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Here's my Murcell trailer that I've been restoring.
MFG March 1946
IMG_20110719_184535.jpg

when I got her: pre paint
IMG_20110719_124136.jpg

Post paint & lights. We tried to match the original color, but painting it gloss kinda threw it off (I'll be tinting and shooting a clear coat to darken the color).
IMG_20110902_105821.jpg

IMG_20110902_105759.jpg

I have new alloy wheels and bigger tires for her and I'm building a new double fold tailgate so I can load dirtbikes (both the front and rear swing down originally). Probably some spray on bedliner.
I just use her for utility, but the 4'x8' box fits an air mattress and gear pretty easy.
I'm thinking 4 fiberglass tent poles bent from side to side and a heavy canvas or plastic tarp would make it work great to camp in,
I can't justify only using it as a trail trailer,
but a "do all" trailer is my goal,
And it works well for when I have a job that doesn't require the big car hauler.
And it tows great behind my wife's little YJ.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Where do you plan to take the trailer? A big question mark that really dictates the need or build plans for a trailer. As I bounced around Baja, MX in an 80 Series Land Cruiser this week I kinda had an epiphany, a trailer would have been an absolute nightmare for our travels in Mexico. Can it been done? Sure. Has it been done? Of course. Would it be comfortable? Not in my opinion. With 7 adults in 2 Land Cruiser wagons your would think the time was ripe for a trailer in tow but driving and more importantly parking in even some of the smaller Baja towns is a chore... with a trailer in tow your likely going to have to park it out eye shot and hotel garages which means no security and an uneasy rest. If your plans are to get through the towns and camp out on the beach you'll fair far better but you still have to park at the border crossings to work your way through customs. Sorta rambling but food for thought... if your truly building up to an 'expedition' rather than a bunch of 'car-camping', will your travels accommodate a trailer? I'm really pondering my future trailer use, as I generally take the Land Cruiser when I'm solo and I generally take the Tacoma when my wife is along... I don't use the trailer much in fact it hasn't been used for nearly a year now. I don't think I'll sell it anytime soon but I may re-task it. It might become the haul rig for my gold panning supplies :D

Stacey

Two years ago we started building an expedition trailer, finished it last spring. It turned out much different then the original plan and to do it again it would be different still. Started with a Jeepster, ended up with something that makes camping much easier and comfortable. One of the drawbacks is when ever we camp, people come and want to look in it. Last July we were camping in the Uintahs, I was dressing inside the tent, some stranger comes by, unzips the door to look inside. The guy must have had one big pair, who opens someone elses tent?

The trailer has a 40 gallon water tank and a 20 gallon fuel tank mounted underneath. Installed a fuel pump so I can transfer the gas from the tank underneath to the jeep. Pull out shelf in the back with a sink, stove and shelving, plus fold down counter space. On the driverside there is a pull out counter with a fridge and storage. On the passenger side another pullout counter for an eating area on rainy days. Two dual batteries with a 60 amp solar ccharger. Sarengetti RTT from (I think) camping lab. LED lights all around and inside the tent along with 12 volt outlets in several places. Put the trailer on a 3500 lbs. axle with matching 5 on 5 1/2 wheels, 35" tires to also match the Jeepster.

Need to find a current pic of the Jeepster and trailer now that they are finished (if they can ever be truly finished).

Attachments

• Trail Trailer (12).JPG
    Trail Trailer (12).JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 44
  • _DSC3006.jpg
    _DSC3006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 50
  • _DSC2834.jpg
    _DSC2834.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 50
  • _DSC2999.jpg
    _DSC2999.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 47
  • _DSC2501.jpg
    _DSC2501.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 45

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
One of the drawbacks is when ever we camp, people come and want to look in it. Last July we were camping in the Uintahs, I was dressing inside the tent, some stranger comes by, unzips the door to look inside. The guy must have had one big pair, who opens someone elses tent?...

Wow that is bold. That said I think RTT's in general draw some curious souls. I've had more than my share of randoms pass our camp and ask for the home show... I generally oblige and try and give them the quick basics of RTT's. Everyone of them is ready to make the buy until I get to the price... even when I tell them of the cheap imports they cringe at "paying way too much for a tent". Afterall K-Mart has the Sunsport 4 man for $39.99 on occasion ;)

Need to find a current pic of the Jeepster and trailer now that they are finished (if they can ever be truly finished).

Great setup, would love to see some finished pics.