Willys Crawler 2.0 aka The Bastard

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Had a short weekend at home, due to my work schedule and the holidays. Still managed to spend some time in the shop, working on the frame. I spent more time welding up bumper caps, plating frame joints and beefing up critical corners. Its a lot of tedious cutting, grinding and welding, but really need to get it done so I can move on to figuring out where the suspension and drivetrain parts are going to sit.

The ESAB is still working great, if I were as capable as the machine I could crank out some beautiful welds!

i-fvBmrjc-X2.jpg

i-fNP6DJd-X2.jpg

i-sf7VQ68-X2.jpg

i-kZFrrcr-X2.jpg

i-87769r4-X2.jpg

i-xgxfmFB-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
So I mentioned running a 5.3 V8, ended up selling the 4.3 V6 that I had a few days ago. I ran a stock 5.3 in my old TJ with Dana 60's, 40's, etc. I wasn't super happy with the bottom end torque (or lack there of) of the 5.3... they make their power at higher RPM's by nature. There were times with the old TJ that I couldn't get the tires spun up fast enough and into the higher RPM range.

I'm honestly thinking about running a Gen 4 6.0 LY6 or L96, if I can find a good one in the price range I'm looking for. They're pretty beefy engines that make good power down low, but still pull HARD at higher RPM. They are essentially a cast iron block LS3, if you know LS engines. I'd also run a 4L80E trans, as its much more heavy duty than the 4L60E. I actually broke the tailhousing on the TH350 in the old TJ, so a strong transmission will be a smart investment. Of course, all this also points to running an Atlas, instead of the Dana 300. I'll keep that around for a future Flatty 'locker stocker' project, where it's more appropriate.

If I can find a Gen 4 LY6/L96, I'd make some minor mods.... like an aftermarket cam, 1.8 roller rockers & possibly an intake upgrade. Combined with a good tune, that thing should be putting out over 500 HP! :oops::eek:😍 Is that too much for a "Flatty"? Probably.... but it'll sure be fun! 😆

Now to start gathering those pieces... not going to be cheap, meaning it's going to add time to getting this on the trail. Oh well, do it right the first time, eh?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
A L33 would be cool too. They seem to run way better than your standard 5.3

I’d also be totally into an LV3 to be honest. They’re cool too

Greg

Admin
A L33 would be cool too. They seem to run way better than your standard 5.3

I’d also be totally into an LV3 to be honest. They’re cool too

I have what is essentially a L33 in the El Camino.... it runs good, but LOVES high RPM's. It pulls hard at 3,500-4000 RPM and up. It's really just an aluminum block 5.3 with flat top pistons. I added a bigger cam and LS6 intake, both which help at higher RPM's.

I looked HARD at LV3's, there was one in a local wrecking yard for a decent price. The problem is low profile oil pans, there isn't one available so you have to cut down a LT oil pan and weld up, shortened. There's a few other things that make them a little more difficult.

After having owned a few LQ4, L96 and LY6 trucks I think they're great engines. If I can't swing the costs of a 6.0, I might just build up another LM7 5.3... lol.

N-Smooth

I have what is essentially a L33 in the El Camino.... it runs good, but LOVES high RPM's. It pulls hard at 3,500-4000 RPM and up. It's really just an aluminum block 5.3 with flat top pistons. I added a bigger cam and LS6 intake, both which help at higher RPM's.

I looked HARD at LV3's, there was one in a local wrecking yard for a decent price. The problem is low profile oil pans, there isn't one available so you have to cut down a LT oil pan and weld up, shortened. There's a few other things that make them a little more difficult.

After having owned a few LQ4, L96 and LY6 trucks I think they're great engines. If I can't swing the costs of a 6.0, I might just build up another LM7 5.3... lol.
Hmmmm I wonder if a higher stall would resolve your issues with the powerband.

I’ve seen the LV3 in a few buggies and they seem to perform really well and the packaging is easier of course but I get it, you like the 6.0 so why not?

Greg

Admin
Hmmmm I wonder if a higher stall would resolve your issues with the powerband.

I’ve seen the LV3 in a few buggies and they seem to perform really well and the packaging is easier of course but I get it, you like the 6.0 so why not?

I was wondering about that too. I had 2,000 RPM stall in the TJ and it was still lacking. I wonder how it would work with a 2,800-3,000 stall?

I love the 6.0, but a Gen 4 engine isn't cheap. Seems like $1800 is the lowest they get.... where you can pick up a 5.3 all day long for $500.

N-Smooth

I was wondering about that too, I had 2,000 RPM stall in the TJ and it was still lacking. I wonder how it would work with a 2,800-3,000 stall?

I love the 6.0, but a Gen 4 engine isn't cheap. Seems like $1800 is the lowest they get.... where you can pick up a 5.3 all day long for $500.

yeah I’m going to a 2500 stall for my V6. I can’t imagine having 500 hp but also my application is about as different as it gets. Can’t go fast with water in the front tires either 🤣

RockChucker

Gen IV can natively run a 6l80...then you could run a dirty Ford 205 that is bullet proof and cheap and still have a good first gear for crawling. The 1.96 ratio would mean you could hammer down and move in low range too. Just adding more fuel to the project scope creep fire 😬 But seriously, a Gen IV truck 6.0 with attached 6l80 and Ford 205 is likely the same or cheaper than a 5.3/4l80/atlas. And the 6l80 is a couple inches shorter than a 4l80

Greg

Admin
Gen IV can natively run a 6l80...then you could run a dirty Ford 205 that is bullet proof and cheap and still have a good first gear for crawling. The 1.96 ratio would mean you could hammer down and move in low range too. Just adding more fuel to the project scope creep fire 😬 But seriously, a Gen IV truck 6.0 with attached 6l80 and Ford 205 is likely the same or cheaper than a 5.3/4l80/atlas. And the 6l80 is a couple inches shorter than a 4l80

I like your thoughts and ideas.... do you have an newsletter I can subscribe to and learn more? X-D

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea. It would be pretty neat to have a Gen 4 6.0 and the 6L90E it came with from the factory, working together.

The crawl ratio with a 6L90E & NP205 in 1st gear and 4 low isn't crazy low though, looks like 41 to 1 with 5.13's in the axles. The torque of the V8 would help, but I think I'd end up bumping up a lot of stuff with more wheel speed than I'd prefer. The adapter for a NP205 to 6L90E is $700! One of my concerns is how the 6L90E works in 4 low, far as gear selection & shifting. I saw a neat aftermarket rail shifter for the 6L90E awhile ago, but don't remember what brand it was.

I know nothing about the NP205, other than the crappy low range gear ratio and bulletproof nature. Looks like cable shifters are readily available. Wonder how well it would fit with my narrow frame?

I wonder how well a mildly built 5.3 (aftermarket cam, TBSS intake, flat top pistons) would work with a 4L60E (deep 1st gear) and a 4.3 ratio Atlas. Run a higher stall like Nate was suggesting. That comes in at 67 to 1 crawl ratio w 5.13's.

I have a lot to consider when it comes to the drivetrain selection, engine choice and crawl ratio... want to get it right the first time.

I agree on the engine choice and good luck with the search. BTW, your welds looks great.

Thanks Bart! Appreciate the compliment on the welds. :cool: