Jeep Willys ground-up build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm really liking the build up.
When you put the rod in you fenders and hammer the edge over, are you going to make relief cuts in the sheet metal or will it stretch that much?

I'm anxious to see how you do it. I think it's a cool idea. I don't do much bodywork myself. That's what rocks are for.

I'm hoping it stretches enough, I'll find out when I try it. :rofl: This is my first attempt at any kind of body work, so I'm figuring stuff out as I go. Worst case, it'll look like crap and I'll rub it on rocks until it appears intentional. :)

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
You might want to try 1/2 or 3/4" wide flat bar. We have used it in the past with good results. It bends around the wheel opening very nice and then you just tack it in place. Then finish weld it. Grind the corner so it's round and your done.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Believe it or not, I've actually been working on this thing again! :eek: A few months ago I bent up some simple "framerails" that have been sitting on the floor in my way. I finally made some temporary crossmembers to hold them together and got the body set in place over them. (mostly hanging from the ceiling in position, since the frame is nowhere near strong enough to support any real weight yet) I bent some rocker protection pieces to match the not-quite-straight body, and began the body mounting--which is the cage sandwich plates, I'm not going to bother with standard body mounts. Nothing will rely on the body for any structure, everything will be tubular structure with some sheetmetal sandwiched between here and there.

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Keep in mind I still need to add the 2 1/2" filler piece to the front of the wheelwell, so that will mostly hide that tube. I'll cut and cap the nerf bar at that time, to match the line of the wheelwell.

I swung the engine/transmission into position, cut the necessary hole in the firewall for the intake to pass through, then bolted on the newly-rebuilt D300. (remember the engine was originally a front-wheel-drive application, so the intake is on what is now the back of the engine) The D300 has a Teraflex HD rear output shaft and 4:1 gear set. The 300 doesn't hang down too far below the initial frame, which is nice--since I'll make the belly pan part to fit how far it dangles. I could tuck it up through the floor more, but the top of the engine is already close to the hood, and if I angle the Tcase up it'll hurt my rear driveline more than it'll already be hurting.

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

I also custom-fit a Ford Taurus fan to the radiator, a little grinding on the left side around the ports, and shortened the right side by about 2 1/2". I just cut the shroud, and put the original end back on by plastic-welding it with my soldering iron. I also have a nice blister on my hand where I slipped and burned myself pretty good. :-\ It's hard to make the plastic look at all good, but it's solid. I need to find some aluminum bolts or all-thread to have welded on the tank to mount the fan, hopefully they exist. I'll also have to have a "dam" in the middle of the left tank so I can have both the inlet and outlet on the same side.

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Next up, front end stuff--shock hoops and motor mounts, stuff like that. :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Very nice Carl! Glad to see it getting some attention. :)

Let me know if/when you need a hand with anything.

XJEEPER

Progress report with photos, what more could a person ask for? Carl, ABS cement that you glue pipe with makes for some good auto repair goo. It flows nice too, so you can lay in a few thin coats and it harden like the real deal. I've repaired broken interior panel tabs with it, door moulding trim, filled a melted hole in an airbox, cracked rear license bezel, etc. Most plastic used on auto is ABS, fwiw.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Progress report with photos, what more could a person ask for? Carl, ABS cement that you glue pipe with makes for some good auto repair goo. It flows nice too, so you can lay in a few thin coats and it harden like the real deal. I've repaired broken interior panel tabs with it, door moulding trim, filled a melted hole in an airbox, cracked rear license bezel, etc. Most plastic used on auto is ABS, fwiw.

Good info! I'll try that next time I have a fan shroud to modify. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I haven't had much time to work on this since my last little update, but a few more parts have followed me home in the meantime:

I picked up some 17" wheels, and mounted up the Maxxis Bighorns I already had.

IMG_0875.jpg

I also snared this pair of 14" Sway-a-way coilovers. Used, but included all the parts to rebuild them. They're all rebuilt now and ready to take their post at the front end whenever I can get there. :)

IMG_0876.jpg