WJ or ZJ - Which would you build?

Lifelong Jeeper

So I am about ready to build me up a Grand Cherokee. I previously owned a 5.2L ZJ before and I loved it, but I'm debating on what to buy again.

I love the looks of a built WJ, but worry about the 4.7L engine. I have heard that if it ever runs low on oil it will develope a low end knock that won't go away without a rebuild. Obviously I know the importance of regular maintenance but worry about losing oil pressure due to extreme angle's offroad and potential resulting problems.

I also love the look of a built ZJ and am more than likely going to go with a 5.9L Limited GC.

Which would you build and why? And have you heard of issues with the 4.7L?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
built WJ's are sick. Talking to people that have built both, the WJ seems to be overall stiffer with a heavier duty unibody. The body is wider, and some of the speed sensor and ABS stuff is more difficult to work with, but it's all been gone over and well documented on different forums.

I personally like the 4.7 motor. It sound bitchen, and I haven't heard of many people having problems with them--certainly not as many as there are 5.9 owners complaining about cooling issues.

What kind of build? Are you talking axle swaps and the whole 9 yards? I'm not sure what your budget is, but 2005 WK's are probably getting pretty reasonable and if you're already going to be swapping axles, why not just rip the IFS out of a WK and make the worlds coolest off-road WK? Built WK's look hardcore, but I don't know of anyone that has gone over a 33 yet.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I own a fairly built 5.9, and I'll say don't use a 5.9.

You will HATE the gas mileage, and cooling does tend to be a bit of a bear. I replaced the water pump and flushed mine really well a few weeks back, but I can't run the AC consistently unless I'm going over 40 consistently if it's over 90 degrees outside. Wheeling on black leather isn't so much fun when you are just sticking to the seat, if you know what I mean. I love the sound and the performance, and I LOVE the seats... but I hate feeding it. Wheeling trips are a lot more expensive than they should be, and as a result they happen a lot less often.

If I had to do it over, I'd either use an XJ or a WJ. I like the 4.7. The management is quite a bit smarter than the old V8s, and they don't burn as much uneeded fuel.

Lifelong Jeeper

Has anybody heard of the engine knock due to the low oil pressure in the 4.7?

I haven't heard of them sludging up and blowing head gaskets? What causes it and how can it be avoided?

Lifelong Jeeper

What kind of build? Are you talking axle swaps and the whole 9 yards? I'm not sure what your budget is, but 2005 WK's are probably getting pretty reasonable and if you're already going to be swapping axles, why not just rip the IFS out of a WK and make the worlds coolest off-road WK? Built WK's look hardcore, but I don't know of anyone that has gone over a 33 yet.

This would be fun. I love the look of the WK as well and converting the IFS wouldn't only improve the offroad-ability, but it would right a wrong of Jeep's.

Unfortunately, my budget wouldn't allow for one. The WJ is on the top end of it.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
So it's like the 4.0 then, only with more power and better mileage ;)

LOL I have had my grand for 5 years now and it's got the 4.0. Yes it is underpowered, especially running bigger tires without proper gearing, but I haven't had a problem with it other then a water pump and T-stat. I know you haven't had good luck with them but I love the 4.0 in mine, and it doesn't really use all that much gas for wheelin. Although I do think it is time for a 5.7 hemi.....hmmmm. ;)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
After having help build a WJ (wjeeper's rig) with a 44/9 swap. Long arms, steering, 12" gas tank lift blah blah blah... I would suggest building a zj.

Front axle is stupid. Cv joints in a dana30 on a 4500+lb rig? Ya that'll work... I watched Dan blow up 4 of them on 31's.. no joke at all: 4 of them

Rear axle: dana35 that barely hold up to 31's on much lighter rigs? Or a D44A with an aluminum center that is prone to rock damage+ the tiny axle tubes of a d35? That's a winner.

Driveshafts: ball and socket style.. like a jk only smaller. Weak.

Ther is no room under the wj. The wheel wells (even cut up) will hardly fit a 33 without tons of lift (seriously 6+ inches). The rear wishbone ball joint upper link cannot be lifted above 2" (with a spacer) unless you swap in after market contol arms. Even swapping in long arms leaves you with the poor geometry of long lower contol arms and very short uppers which makes the pinion point down under droop and gives you sone funky anti squat #'s.

Front radiator hangs super low. Like below the front bumper low. Plan on adding a skid like kevins offroad has.

The computer is insane, its like aol, it controls everything. Its a bear to get around the vss speedo system and without it, the traction control gets pissed. Most of the stock tcase options are garbage (249 that is standard on a lot of them) 242 is ok but you can't get a real SYE for it, so plan on swapping that out and even if you keep it you will have to spend some money swapping out the ball and socket style cv yokes and do a hack and tap to put real driveshafts in it.

and it will throw codes at everything. It weighs a ton and the 4.0 is only just adequate. The gas tank hangs super low and even stock there is very little clearance between the rear diff cover and tank, so without relocating it, forget about a rear stretch.

AND my personal pet peeve: it only has ONE door lock!!! I mean how stupid is that? ONE! Driver side only. Want to unlock the hatch or passenger door without a key fob? Sorry charlie... walk around to the front door. Oh what's that? Your battery is dead? Too bad... you can't get in the trunk to get your jumper cables because anytime you go over 15mph the doors auto lock. So now your doors are locked And you can't open any doors without reaching across and there is no manual unlock for the hatch at all... STUPID!

Put a 2" lift on it at most or leave it alone.

That being said: I love the look of them highly modified. If you can get around all the other garbage. The are comfy and unique.

Mallcrawlin or cody's website, NAGCA.org, are huge resources for everything grand cherokee.

Don't get me wrong the wj is SUPER plush, the 4.7 is a dream and I'd absolutely LOVE to DD a stock limited for certain, but they are not the jeep to modify. Period.

gertsch

stay away from the 5.9 gc they are prone to overheating i just bought myself a 94 gc with the 4.0 and i freaking love the thing but i have so much to do but first is to sell my 09 jk

Jeeperman

A.K.A. Eugene
I think they both have their advantages, but I'm going to cast another vote for the ZJ. I do like the look of the WJ's lifted and so on, but I love the ZJ's. I agree with gravesdiggers points and I'm personally not a huge fan of the 4.7. They're pretty peppy and as Cody said, they sound bitchen, but after working in a Chrysler Jeep dealer for the last 5 years, I've replaced more WJ 4.7's than any other engine.

I think this one was the coolest...

5291_510966159592_203100003_30398951_5151850_n.jpg

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive had both a ZJ and now a WJ..liked them both, but the ZJ was easier and cheaper to modify..but I love the 4.7 so far, and Im not going to Mod it too much.(Lift, bumpers, winch, lights and lockers.)

Lifelong Jeeper

So maybe the direction I need to go is find a WJ with FUBAR'd engine for cheap and throw GM 6.0L in it. :D:D

All the other things mentioned above are concerns, but I think the wider, stiffer chassis, and Bad A looks out-weigh the con's. They are all things that I can deal with.

Now the wheels are turning...hmmm.

Last edited:

1995zj

I'm addicted
For sure man, I'll be working on it the next few nights and this weekend getting it ready for Labor Day. Just let me know sometime.

Toad

I think you nailed it with a zj and a chevy under the hood. I have really liked my wj but it it completly stock. Really it never goes of road.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Front axle is stupid. Cv joints in a dana30 on a 4500+lb rig? Ya that'll work... I watched Dan blow up 4 of them on 31's.. no joke at all: 4 of them

This is very common, but most people know that it's common and swap to ujointed shafts with full circle clips, or alloy shafts/joints. I've seen this setup do pretty well with up to 35's.

Rear axle: dana35 that barely hold up to 31's on much lighter rigs? Or a D44A with an aluminum center that is prone to rock damage+ the tiny axle tubes of a d35? That's a winner.

Not that it's any better, but at least the WJ 35 isn't c clipped ;). The 44a is actually a pretty decent axle for up to 35's. You can get 4.56's and alloy shafts and a lunch box locker for it, the ring gear is almost the size of a d60 and I think the tubes are pretty thick. People complain about the aluminum center, but how many people do you know that have had problems with it? I can't think of any. the biggest knock on it is the lack of aftermarket support, but, I mean, they put the thing in Viper's so it can't be that weak right ;)

Driveshafts: ball and socket style.. like a jk only smaller. Weak.
especially the front. The front CV drive shaft will not hold up to any offroad activity.

Ther is no room under the wj. The wheel wells (even cut up) will hardly fit a 33 without tons of lift (seriously 6+ inches). The rear wishbone ball joint upper link cannot be lifted above 2" (with a spacer) unless you swap in after market contol arms. Even swapping in long arms leaves you with the poor geometry of long lower contol arms and very short uppers which makes the pinion point down under droop and gives you sone funky anti squat #'s.

There are suspension systems that address this, but you do get weird anti squat in the rear. There isn't a ton of room in the WJ wheel well, but there are lots of people who run 35's on 6 inches of lift. You just need to do some trimming here and there.

Front radiator hangs super low. Like below the front bumper low. Plan on adding a skid like kevins offroad has.
Same problem with ZJ's. WJ's actually like to eat their windshield washer reservoir, so that needs to be relocated.

The computer is insane, its like aol, it controls everything. Its a bear to get around the vss speedo system and without it, the traction control gets pissed. Most of the stock tcase options are garbage (249 that is standard on a lot of them) 242 is ok but you can't get a real SYE for it, so plan on swapping that out and even if you keep it you will have to spend some money swapping out the ball and socket style cv yokes and do a hack and tap to put real driveshafts in it.

WJ's actually have a 247 when they come with the verilock axles, but same difference, it sucks. there are lots of computer issues in WJ as it relates to the speedo and ABS, but it's all been dealt with by other people by now. You can find a RARE 242 behind a v8, or a little more commonly behind a 4.0--but why you would want a 4.0 is a mystery to me.

and it will throw codes at everything. It weighs a ton and the 4.0 is only just adequate. The gas tank hangs super low and even stock there is very little clearance between the rear diff cover and tank, so without relocating it, forget about a rear stretch.

Yup

AND my personal pet peeve: it only has ONE door lock!!! I mean how stupid is that? ONE! Driver side only. Want to unlock the hatch or passenger door without a key fob? Sorry charlie... walk around to the front door. Oh what's that? Your battery is dead? Too bad... you can't get in the trunk to get your jumper cables because anytime you go over 15mph the doors auto lock. So now your doors are locked And you can't open any doors without reaching across and there is no manual unlock for the hatch at all... STUPID!

I've never noticed that, and yes that would be annoying. The auto lock at 15 mph can be turned off though with the factory key fob.

Mallcrawlin or cody's website, NAGCA.org, are huge resources for everything grand cherokee.

Just about every sort of build has been done on ZJ's and WJ's, and most of it can be found at those two sites.

The WJ is definitely more difficult and expensive to build, but it is super cool. If I were building a rig to beat on offroad with 35's etc, I would build a ZJ. If you want a nice camping rig that you can do some moderate trials on, then a WJ with 3" of lift and some 31's will work awesome without opening up too many cans of worms.