WJ or ZJ - Which would you build?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
That's a cool WJ, but I would lower it a bit. He had it at GSW a couple years ago and it was tall. That front bumper is the sickness though.

1995zj

I'm addicted
Yeah, I thought that was the same WJ that was at GSW. Back then though I remember it still had the D30/44A combo under it on 37's and I was shocked haha. Glad to see he swapped them out.

1995zj

I'm addicted
Front bumper sticks out too far IMO though...I love the lines, and understand it's a winch bumper, but there's got to be a way to suck in back in a bit.

SaturnICL

That's a cool WJ, but I would lower it a bit. He had it at GSW a couple years ago and it was tall. That front bumper is the sickness though.
Cody,
When you saw it at GSW I had the same lift as 311WJ (4.5" RK) with the addition of a BB. so 6.5" The huge fender well, rocker trim and boat sides makes it look taller than it is.

As it sits now it still fits in my Standard garage. It is a foot wider and is only 1" more lift. Arlo and I went through this before.

SaturnICL

OP I have dealt with and figured out most of the issues listed above.

I personaly feel the WJ is a better option for the reason most have mentioned above. They have a much stronger base to build off of.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
If you want a nice camping rig that you can do some moderate trials on, then a WJ with 3" of lift and some 31's will work awesome without opening up too many cans of worms.

This is what Im doing.. not wanting to do the extreme stuff in the grand anyway, thats what the buggy is for, Ive already totaled out one grand and any more building on a grand should have a cage that never fits right when your tall like me.

Lifelong Jeeper

:drool:

Wow. I am impressed. That is one of the best looking WJ's I have ever seen. Congratulations on a great build, but your heart must be breaking to get rid of it. I'd love to buy it but it's above my price range. That is definitely the direction that I want to go with mine though; just piece by piece.

Did you narrow the axels or are they stock width? What year Ford are the out of?

SaturnICL

:drool:

Wow. I am impressed. That is one of the best looking WJ's I have ever seen. Congratulations on a great build, but your heart must be breaking to get rid of it. I'd love to buy it but it's above my price range. That is definitely the direction that I want to go with mine though; just piece by piece.

Did you narrow the axels or are they stock width? What year Ford are the out of?

Thank you! It worked very well, and no the superduty's are full width. They are from a 2005 king ranch.

Yes I am sad I belive it sold tonight pending pickup on friday.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Cody,
When you saw it at GSW I had the same lift as 311WJ (4.5" RK) with the addition of a BB. so 6.5" The huge fender well, rocker trim and boat sides makes it look taller than it is.

As it sits now it still fits in my Standard garage. It is a foot wider and is only 1" more lift. Arlo and I went through this before.

That very well might be the case. Definitely a sweet rig, hopefully it stays in the grand cherokee community.

Fester

How about HO 4.7 vs non HO? Anything to worry about specifically with the HO? Is the HO worth the extra $ ? I've looked at a few 02+ WJ's with the HO and around 100k for $6k-$8k and they've all been beat to $hit (mostly interior). I've found cleaner laredo's with less miles for about $1k less and they seem to be in better shape. For some reason I'm stuck on wanting the HO motor though. Thoughts?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I would look at 02-04's...and I personally prefer the laredo because I hate leather and kind of like the gray cladding.

I'm not really sure how much more the output is on the 4.7 HO, but I've never heard anyone hype it up as a major difference maker.

snowboard3r411

stay away from the 5.9 gc they are prone to overheating i just bought myself a 94 gc with the 4.0 and i freaking love the thing but i have so much to do but first is to sell my 09 jk
are you guys serious?? my 5/9 has never heated once and i live in junction and run my ac all day i have to turn my ac off sometimes cause it gets so dam cold. theres no problem with the 5.9 at all and they run like champs and i will stand against anyone who says different my 5.9 has never gave me one issue

Lifelong Jeeper

are you guys serious?? my 5/9 has never heated once and i live in junction and run my ac all day i have to turn my ac off sometimes cause it gets so dam cold. theres no problem with the 5.9 at all and they run like champs and i will stand against anyone who says different my 5.9 has never gave me one issue

I'm way interested in your Jeep.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.

I had (and loved) my 5.9 for years but mine ran a little hot if I was stuck in traffic with the AC on. Its a big engine with a electric fan which does ok most of the time. Keep in mind I had headers, t-stat, computer, intake, etc. that probably did not help things. I'd rather have a good old clutch fan if I was wheeling it hard. The factory e-fan crapped out on me and was over $500 to replace (damn dealers). I may have been able to do a aftermarket fan but it was my daily driver and I did not have time to figure out a cheaper solution.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

Just because yours hasn't doesn't mean others haven't. The 5.9 is notorious for running hot. It's not a slam on the motor, just an issue that has to be considered when building a rig. Add a big bumper, winch, and lights and you get restricted air flow. add big tires, heavy armor, 1000 lbs of payload, 100* temps and slow speeds and you have a recipe for an overheating rig. It's not a knock on the motor, I think it's a great motor, but at a certain level of build cooling will have to be addressed more likely than not.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
He's not knocking the motor. It's just the fact that big displacement motors need big radiators and the one in the 5.9 GC isn't always up to the task.

The 5.9 works great. I've had one in a Ram and a Durango and we have them in our work vans and they normally run out way past 220k miles.