Woodworking projects for winter 2013

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
. it doesn't leave the surface very smooth. just removes fast and they have different size chains to remove more faster I guess. I bought the one with the most teeth, 22 I think. I just put a flap sanding disk on to smooth it out. they same company that makes these makes some sweet disks for a grinder but they are $$4

That is a technique I will have to try sometime. Sounds like a lot of fun!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Past Projects

Seeing lewis post some of his projects made me think back on some I have already completed. I am certainly not the craftsman lewis is, but here are a few I have pictures of on dropbox.
First, is a golf ball rack I built many years ago for my father in law as a present. He is from Cali, so the pics are of Pebble Beach and the other course right there by Pebble Beach. He has played both.
Before & After.jpg
This is a golf ball rack I used to have in my office. I gave it to a freind when I took my current job and decided not to have so many personal decorations in my office. I need to build a new one to hold all of my golf balls on. I will likely end up building more than one since my collection has grown more since this picture.
IMAG0021.jpg
Then I built some doll beds for my neice at the request of my mother in law. She wanted to paint them, so I don't have any pictures of them finished.
IMAG0183.jpg
When we moved into our house, there was a trash compactor in the island. It didn't work very well, and my wife hated it. So, I installed a sliding trash/recycle bin and built a drawer and door to match the rest of the island. This was a fun project that turned out well imho. You have to look really close to be able to tell it wasn't always there. Matching the finish was the hardest part.
IMAG0321.jpgIMAG0324.jpgIMAG0326.jpgIMAG0330.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
When we moved, we upgraded our bedroom set. We had this armour that we bought at a garage sale, so I thought I would make it a sewing station for my wife for Christmas. It was an easy project, but it turned out nice. I still need to finish the shelves inside, but she hasn't been too vocal about it yet, so that will still have to wait.
IMAG0331.jpgIMAG0346.jpgIMAG0348.jpg
Here are some of the many frames I have built.
Office 08.jpg
This picture is a painting done at the Kansas State Fair by a spray paint artist. I framed it for my friend that bought the painting.

PC115248v2.jpg
PC115250v2.jpg
This is my signed picture from OCC before the breakup. The bottom is the pictures I took when we visited their shop. What a cool place!
2013-11-12 12.18.54.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
This is the desk I built for my daughter. When I finished her room in the basement, I had the idea to put a built in desk in there for her to do homework as she got older. I did it out of oak and oak plywood, then framed some curly maple and a ribbon board to give it some character and finish it off. It wasn't the hardest project, but it was fun. It is rewarding to have her use it and love it.
IMG_20130303_244315_187.jpgIMG_20130305_243627_933.jpgIMG_20130306_241247_714.jpgIMG_20130309_162120_878.jpgIMG_20130331_190846_739.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
such kind words, I have never been able to build picture frame, is to precise for my knowledge and the tools I have. thanks for posting, I like looking at projects, they give me new ideas

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Very nice work guys! Definitely wish I had the skills to do some of these tasks myself also. But I don't have the patience lol.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
such kind words, I have never been able to build picture frame, is to precise for my knowledge and the tools I have. thanks for posting, I like looking at projects, they give me new ideas

Frames and miters are a PITA to get right, unless you learn some tricks. I use a miter saw most of the time, but I put a high quality blade on it, then I use stops and measure angles very close to make sure I get the right cuts. Some of my early ones had gaps in the miters, but a little wood putty can hide some of those.

As for finishing projects, I have almost always used oil based stains, but I have picked up some dye and water based stain that I have been playing with. Spray paint has been a staple too. I guess it really depends on what I am looking for. When I did my kitchen trash drawer, I took a drawer front to Sherwan Williams to have them mix a color match finish. It was cool how they got the sheen and color to match. For my daughters desk, I used an oil based stain, then went of the top of that with a nasty finish that hardens to stand up to abuse. I forget what it is now, but I will look at home tonight and let you know. It is something you don't want to breath in, and takes 24 hrs between coats, but dries SUPER hard. It is a good finish to protect projects that will see abuse and hard use (tables, desks, etc).

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Very nice work guys! Definitely wish I had the skills to do some of these tasks myself also. But I don't have the patience lol.

Building it is the fun part to me. The part I don't have the patience for yet is the finishing. It is hard to have to wait between coats of finish, but in the end, if you rush it, the results aren't as great. I have to force myself to wait and be patient.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Building it is the fun part to me. The part I don't have the patience for yet is the finishing. It is hard to have to wait between coats of finish, but in the end, if you rush it, the results aren't as great. I have to force myself to wait and be patient.

this is why I bought a spray gun. nothing too fancy. just the inner woodcraft sells. it took me 3 months to finish my coffee table. that precat laquer from SW dries to the touch in seconds when its thinned. finishing is the worst part for sure.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Very nice! That is a huge chunck of mahogany! Mahogany is one of my favorite woods. I decided to use it to frame my display case.

Do you use a dowleing jig to drill the holes for your shutters, or do you use a drill press?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I didn't get too much done last night because I was asked to make some Christmas ornaments for a project my wife is working on with her mom and sisters.
2013-11-12 22.11.19.jpg2013-11-12 22.24.14.jpg
They are supposed to be books that go with a story.

Then I milled some mahogany for the frame on my son's display case. I am thinking I will leave it like this, but I am not sure. Opinions? Should I miter the corners and make it more traditional, leave the offset, but cut the ends flush, or leave it as it is now? Also, should I layout the maps like I have in the 2nd picture, or lay it out like the first picture?
2013-11-12 00.06.18.jpg2013-11-12 23.08.59.jpg

lewis, this is the stuff I used as a top coat for my daughters desk. It is called Waterlox. It is a tung oil based finish. When cured, it is a very hard, protective finish.
2013-11-13 08.26.54.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I always wondered what that stuff was. those little books are a good idea, I won't sure my wife cause she will have me make some. getting inn that rut about wondering how to design something or figure out the best look drives me nuts.I made my own jigs for the shutters. just some 1 inch flat bar. the ones rockler has would be nice but they don't make one for 4.5" shutters. I like carving on mahogany but the dust from sanding and cutting it bothers my kind for some reason, the dust fibers are smaller or sharper or something

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
My friend wants me to build his daughter a tardis. He wanted a full size one. I talked him into making a upright cedar chest that looks like a tardis. if it turns out good maybe we can time travel.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
My friend wants me to build his daughter a tardis. He wanted a full size one. I talked him into making a upright cedar chest that looks like a tardis. if it turns out good maybe we can time travel.

I had to google Tardis. I have never seen that show, so I didn't know what it is. Good luck! That would be an impressive project!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
lewis, that looks good! I put a couple of coats of top coat on my son's display case, and then finished cutting out the pieces for my wife's display table. I should have the table ready for finish by next Saturday so I can start on the desk for my son.
2013-11-16 18.20.43.jpg2013-11-16 18.20.36.jpg