Woodworking projects for winter 2013

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I stained the walnut with Minwax English Chestnut. After 3 coats, i put tung oil over the top. It gave the Walnut a deep color, and the tung oil on the maple brought the grain out. I am pretty happy with it.

How is your tray coming along?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
bad picture due to the lighting, it turned out good but not prefect. I like the color, its brown with back tones of red just Howe I wanted it. I used dark walnut dye and should have tried the red mahogney dye I had but I forgot I had it til just now. I finished it with deft only because I had a bit left and it bled the dye so I had to resand redye and put lighter coats on it. it still fish eyed a bit and I will never be using deft again. [URL=http://s524.photobucket.com/user/superchargedlewis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20131209_192901_zpsc40b942a.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have made some progress on my sons desk the last few weeks. Since the Jeep is broke, I spent most of yesterday working on this project.

This is where it was last Saturday when I fininshed, and where I started Yesterday.
2013-12-30 23.31.36.jpg

Yesterday, I was able to finish the drawer fronts, the door, and get it hung. I also have the top rough sized (no picture), the drawer pieces cut, and enough oak to finish the project.

Here is where I left it last night.

2014-01-01 20.45.30.jpg

2014-01-01 20.45.45.jpg

I will be back at it tonight.

blznnp

I made a couple tables, one is a lego table for my boys for christmas, and the other is just about the exact same as the lego table but a little different and going to put tile on it and use it as a coffee table in the basement. I feel proud of myself for them but then loose all of that when I look at this thread. I wish I had more of the tools to do this type of stuff.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I made a couple tables, one is a lego table for my boys for christmas, and the other is just about the exact same as the lego table but a little different and going to put tile on it and use it as a coffee table in the basement. I feel proud of myself for them but then loose all of that when I look at this thread. I wish I had more of the tools to do this type of stuff.

Feel proud! It takes lots of practice and experience to make something like Lewis, but you can still stand back and enjoy your creation no matter your level of expertise! The only mistakes working with wood are the ones you can't hide!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
So I got a pallet from Carl (Ilean) awhile back because I was going to start gathering some pallet wood for a project. However the pallet was made from sycamore which I have never been able to find for sale anywhere. So I decided I wanted to find something to make with it. I made some bread knives with a sycamore/ walnut / sycamore pattern. Then saw what else I had lying around and found some poplar and some mahogany so I made a few other combinations and gave them out at Christmas. I finished them with some walnut oil.

DSC_1023_zpsc9c17227.jpg

DSC_1035_zpsd5751701.jpg
DSC_1033_zps3cae4f53.jpg
DSC_1037_zps0e872c59.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1037_zps0e872c59.jpg
    DSC_1037_zps0e872c59.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1033_zps3cae4f53.jpg
    DSC_1033_zps3cae4f53.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1035_zpsd5751701.jpg
    DSC_1035_zpsd5751701.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1023_zpsc9c17227.jpg
    DSC_1023_zpsc9c17227.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Made some more progress the last week. On Saturday, I got the drawers built and installed, and then got the holes drilled and hardware installed on the door and drawers.

Last night, I got the top glued up, holes drilled for mounting, and got the top onto the stands. Next is the middle drawer and the trim to wrap the top. Then sand and stain. That will at least make it usable for my son, and I can do the Hutch that sits on top later.

2014-01-07 00.34.57.jpg

2014-01-07 00.34.30.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
looking good, gives me some ideas. my daughter asked me yesterday if I would build her a desk for her birthday

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
So I got a pallet from Carl (Ilean) awhile back because I was going to start gathering some pallet wood for a project. However the pallet was made from sycamore which I have never been able to find for sale anywhere. So I decided I wanted to find something to make with it. I made some bread knives with a sycamore/ walnut / sycamore pattern. Then saw what else I had lying around and found some poplar and some mahogany so I made a few other combinations and gave them out at Christmas. I finished them with some walnut oil.

How do I get on your Christmas list?:p Those knives look very nice.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Made an interior light to match my railing. Took me all weekend to hang it, for some reason it was very problematic. Also mocked up my sconces to make any last changes before I put finish on them.
20140322_165918_zpsbf11c264.jpg

20140323_131144_zps5acb8121.jpg

20140315_144434_zps09f7a0a0.jpg

20140315_142821_zps7fbf0828.jpg