Woodworking projects for winter 2013

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
lewis, looking good! I would love to see the table that leg goes to. Do you shape it with a chainsaw, or do you have a band saw you can use to flatten it out?

I finished my son's display case on Saturday with this:
2013-11-19 07.51.13.jpg
It is a water based top coat with a couple of drops of dye in it. I really like the mahogany grain look, so I didn't want to wash it out with a heavy stain. The dye in the top coat works well to keep the grain looking good without washing it out too much. I also didn't want to go too dark.

Then yesterday, I gave it to my wife to layout the maps and passes. When I got home from work, I taped everything in, put the glass in, and hung it on the wall.
2013-11-18 17.57.03.jpg

One project down, a few more to go.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I made more progress tonight on my wife's display table.
I cut all the pieces to final dimensions except the shelf and top. Then I cut all the notches in the legs and frames.
2013-11-20 22.30.50.jpg
I glued up the panels to make the shelf and top.
2013-11-20 22.30.43.jpg
There is still a ton to do, but progress is good. This is what it will look similar to when I am done. I have modified the plan a little to make the table longer, and I am using walnut instead of dying oak black, but this is the premise I started with.
2013-11-20 22.30.59.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
that table is going to be nice. where you get that nice walnut from? I wanted to mill my own logs but trying to come up with some logs is tough. I plan on making a jig for my chain saw to cut the boards with. milling down the wood is my favorite part of the whole process. looks like I may be making more than one table though so I might just buy the wood. you mentioned sierra products earlier, do they sell hard wood like national wood products? for some reason I thought they only sold sheet goods.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I bought the walnut from Sierra Forest products. There are 5-6 places to buy hardwood in SLC. Sierra usually has the best price, but not always. Their sheet goods are the best I have seen, and they do have rough lumber too. They don't have a huge selection of exotic woods, but they have typical hardwoods. Their customer service sets them apart to me. They are easy to work with and do everything they can to help find what you are looking for and the best boards in the bunch. I like their scrap area too. I bought some poplar and hard maple there for dirt cheap! I don't recal the board feet, but it was 8/4 ish, 5" wide, 8 or 10 feet long, and it was like $5 per board. MacBeath is pricey, and their customer service is spotty, but they have a good selection of hardwood. I am not impressed with their sheet goods though.

I have never bought from National Wood. I bought the curly maple I am using in this table from Intermountain Wood products in SLC. It isn't the best curly maple I have seen, but it wasn't $8 a bf either. It will work for what I am using it for.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I only got one picture last night, and that was at the Dr's office before he sewed my hand back up. One slip of a chisel and I ended up taking an hour break from my project to get it taken care of. I am grateful I know a Dr that will take care of this type of thing after hours. Last time it was 4 hours and many $$$$ at the ER.
2013-11-21 19.54.43.jpg

I got 2 legs glued up, my grooves cut in my frames, and the cleats cut out. Tonight I will glue up the frames and the other 2 legs. Tomorrow I will cut the rabbits and dado's on the drawer pieces, and hopefully be ready for a dry assembly tomorrow night. Then I can take it apart and get it finished for Thanksgiving.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
ouch, I have had a few of those emergency room visits before.
I quit going to national because you tell then what you order and they bring it to you, no choice in the boards you get.I will have to check out sierra, I been getting most my stuff at Mcbeath, been pretty happy with there selection and pricing so far.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
ouch, I have had a few of those emergency room visits before.
I quit going to national because you tell then what you order and they bring it to you, no choice in the boards you get.I will have to check out sierra, I been getting most my stuff at Mcbeath, been pretty happy with there selection and pricing so far.

Definitely check out Sierra. Their customer service and prices are great! They don't have the real exotic stuff that McBeath has, but for what Sierra has, I prefer them.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Made some progress the last couple of days. I got everything glued up that needs to be glued (until final assembly anyway), cut the top and shelf to final dimensions, routed the cove profile on the top, notched the shelf, and then I dry assembled the frames.
PB236722.jpg
Then I attached the top and shelf.
PB236723.jpg
Then I realized I messed up some measurements, and need to make a new piece I cut too short. That is a project for another day. I wanted to get a better idea of what it will look like finished, so I placed some pieces in loose and took some more pics.
PB236725.jpgPB236726.jpg
Then I wanted to see what it would look like in the house where it is going to go.
PB236717.jpgPB236718.jpg
Then we broke out the nativity set that is the inspiration for this table.
PB236720.jpg
I am really glad I altered the plan to make the table longer. I am really pleased with how it is turning out. I will stain the walnut dark, and try to keep the Maple as light as possible for contrast.
I still have a ton to do to get ready to finish this, but I gave up for the night to avoid making any more mistakes. I have zero room for error right now.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I only got one picture last night, and that was at the Dr's office before he sewed my hand back up. One slip of a chisel and I ended up taking an hour break from my project to get it taken care of. I am grateful I know a Dr that will take care of this type of thing after hours. Last time it was 4 hours and many $$$$ at the ER.
View attachment 86717

I got 2 legs glued up, my grooves cut in my frames, and the cleats cut out. Tonight I will glue up the frames and the other 2 legs. Tomorrow I will cut the rabbits and dado's on the drawer pieces, and hopefully be ready for a dry assembly tomorrow night. Then I can take it apart and get it finished for Thanksgiving.
That is why I'm happy my wife is a physician. We have all that stuff at home. And yes she has stitched me up on the kitchen table before.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
that table is looking really good. my dad who taught me told me a good craftsman isn't one that makes things perfect but one that can cover up his mistakes so that no one can tell. I got my mahogany tray ready to stain and got the parts for a new project. I have ran one piece through the forge in the pic.
[URL=http://s524.photobucket.com/user/superchargedlewis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20131124_161503_zps3c72fe04.jpg.html] [/URL][URL=http://s524.photobucket.com/user/superchargedlewis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20131123_190938_zps564459ef.jpg.html] [/URL]

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
What are you forging? Handles for a project?

That tray looks awesome! Was that a solid piece of mahogany, or did you glue up some boards for that?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
that tray is solid mahogney. i am making a sconce. the forge is only used for texturing and corroding the surface..I got the top tacked together and one side done.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Since I wasn't motivated enough to work on Monday night, I was in the garage until 2 am this morning getting all the work done on this table so I can reach my altered goal of having it done except for Stain by Thanksgiving.

I finished the drawer pull, attached it, and then took pics in the shop.
2013-11-27 01.58.57.jpg2013-11-27 01.58.38.jpg

Then I took it into the house and placed it where it will go. It is still there right now, but when I get home from work, I will take it apart, sand it down, and hopefully get a coat of stain on it tonight. It will be nice to get this done so I can start on my son's desk and get some space back in my shop to park my car. I hate scraping windows in the morning.
2013-11-27 02.05.26.jpg2013-11-27 02.05.33.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
that tray is solid mahogney. i am making a sconce. the forge is only used for texturing and corroding the surface..I got the top tacked together and one side done.

Sweet! That is cool that you can do the metal work too. I dont have any experience with metal fabrication. Something I want to learn, but haven't put any time or money toward it yet.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
This week I was determined to get this table done. I picked up some tong oil at Woodcraft, and on Monday I stained the walnut and rubbed the tong oil onto the maple.
2013-12-05 21.24.43.jpg2013-12-05 21.24.56.jpg2013-12-05 21.25.46.jpg2013-12-05 21.28.14.jpg2013-12-05 21.28.31.jpg

After several coats over several days, I assembled the table today and put it in its place inside the front door. I put paper towels under the legs for the time being to ensure no oil leaves a mark on my floor.
2013-12-07 12.46.41.jpg2013-12-07 12.47.00.jpg2013-12-07 12.47.19.jpg
I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

After I got this done, I started working on my sons desk. We got several pieces cut out before calling it a day to go shovel snow.