#yamaproblems : a rebuild thread

rholbrook

I disconnected the Grey Wire on my WR. It lets it rev a little higher. Might as well do it while you are doing the work. I pulled the pin out of the weatherpack, put some silicon in the hole and then put some heat shrink on the end of the connector.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I disconnected the Grey Wire on my WR. It lets it rev a little higher. Might as well do it while you are doing the work. I pulled the pin out of the weatherpack, put some silicon in the hole and then put some heat shrink on the end of the connector.

That's cool. I'll do it later today. I'm going to do a little carb tuning as well. Change some jets around.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So I pulled out the carb and realized I had the wear plate for the slide flipped 180*. It's not supposed to be able to fit that way, but it did. I suspect jetting will be spot on after that. I got some recommendations on jetting.

Also I did the YZ throttle stop.

However I did some more mods while I had it torn down.
O-ring Mod

Grey Wire Mod (changes the bike to the YZ ignition map).

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like you figured out the Grey wire mod.... hard, huh? :rofl: I forgot about the throttle stop fix, too. With the rebuild & mods, this thing should be pretty quick for a little 250!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Looks like you figured out the Grey wire mod.... hard, huh? :rofl: I forgot about the throttle stop fix, too. With the rebuild & mods, this thing should be pretty quick for a little 250!

Yeah she'll go.
The later YZ's made 34hp vs. 26.5hp these early WR's so with all these mods it'll be right there.

I did new o-rings on the the fuel inlet too, so she's about brand new now.
By the sound of it the exhaust someone has already pulled the baffle, but when I have a minute I'll pull the cap and check that too.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Cleaned up, painted and installed the aluminum skid plate.

Did a quick shakedown ride last night.
Bike does really well. Climbs hills well, puts the power down really smooth and linear. Doesn't stall particularly easily (if I remember that it's a 4 stroke and I need to clutch it more and keep the R's up.)
Has really really good power, no stutters, no lean pops, no sputters nor flat spots anywhere in the rpm range, it's jetted very well now. Very easy to start.
Lost a few bolts. That's the reason for a shakedown close to home.
Lost a kickstarter bolt and a rear brake bolt later on. Stuck a stick in each to get me home.

Bent an ASV lever. Luckily on ASV's website they have a guide to bending them back and because they are a superior aluminum allow they can bend back without breaking.

Easy to fix and it I'm ready to roll again.

Uploading a quick video now.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ok here is the video on how to change valves or valve stem seals without ANY special tools.
Top ends on bikes shouldn't be as intimidating as most people make them out to be.

[video=youtube;OtQeZ_xvMX8]

Sorry it's a long video, but it's a lot of material to go through.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So new parts are as follows:
Timing Chain
Stator
Flywheel
Exhaust shims
Valve stem seals
(06) YZ 250f Exhaust Cam
Piston Rings
Piston clips
Gaskets throughout
Tires (Artrax)
Front and rear sprocket and chain (Primary Drive)
Case saver too.
and more

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Ok here is the video on how to change valves or valve stem seals without ANY special tools.
Top ends on bikes shouldn't be as intimidating as most people make them out to be.

[video=youtube;OtQeZ_xvMX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtQeZ_xvMX8&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Sorry it's a long video, but it's a lot of material to go through.

Great video! Thanks Stratton

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well thanks guys! I really enjoyed this one! I left the WR rear fender because I like that it has a taillight. I spent a fair bit of time refurbishishing the plastic on it so it looked great too.

Anyways I'm putting this up for sale I guess.
Bills came in for the new baby and insurance pulled a fast one by billing the new kid instead of surpassing Mom's deductible so I'll like to sell and free up some cash.

I don't really need to sell it, and I built it with the consideration that I'd keep it for a long time, but if you now anyone who is looking for a super clean bike give them my info.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=41051995&cat=236