ZMotorSports 2011 JKUR Build Thread

I am new here but thought I would throw up some pictures of my latest Jeep build. It is not real time as I have owned it now for almost two years.

I bought the Jeep with only 3208 miles on the odometer and commenced building my "Dream Jeep". This is my daily driver and weekend wheeler.

ecm6-jpg.150279

On lift just before sitting it down with the 4" BDS Suspension Lift and 35" KM2 tires/ATX Crawl wheels.
21909d.jpg

Backed outside the shop after just barely sitting her on the ground with new lift and tires/wheels.
s4v28o.jpg

More to come as I dig through the pictures. Also pictured here is the Warn Rockcrawler bumper/Powerplant combination that I purchased used just to get me by until I could fabricated my own bumpers.

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I put my soft top on my Jeep Monday night, although a bit late this year but my wife wanted it on for the summer. Yesterday I picked up my new tires and installed them on the Jeep after work. I also gave it a good cleaning/detailing and rid it of the red Texas mud/dirt from two weeks ago's trip.

I went with 35x12.50x17 BF Goodrich's newly released KO2's to replace my KM2's.
16k0qb5.jpg

Nice wrap-around sidewall compared to their earlier version.
8y6bg8.jpg

Washed and detailed.
2zqf0pl.jpg

2hmou0y.jpg

Mike.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Pictures from last week's annual trip to Ouray, CO.

Top of Corkscrew Gulch.
2qakzmx.jpg

Top of California Gulch.
33mwv7r.jpg

We drove the Alpine Loop one day and this was taken on top of Cinnamon Pass on the way back.
2ntd4xv.jpg

Saw this little guy sunnin' himself and just watching us drive by. A Yellow Bellied Marmot.
29b12kk.jpg

He must have yelled out to his buddy to check out the bad ass Jeep driving by because this guy was standing there waiting for us around the next turn.:D
o6ziu0.jpg

Just before we got to Silverton on another day coming off of Placern Gulch we saw a large sow and her two cubs playing on the hillside across the road from us. One of the cubs.
sfz2ts.jpg

And here's momma bear.
o7odvl.jpg

Stopped at the beginning of Black Bear Pass trail to air down.
1fb52t.jpg

Top of Black Bear Pass just before the one-way, no turning back section.:eek:
x37j9w.jpg

Top of Black Bear looking down onto Telluride.
xp0i6t.jpg

Looking down onto Bridal Veil Falls.
ra7qjo.jpg

Looking up at the waterfall from Bridal Veil Falls from under it.
14n1u04.jpg

On top of Immogene Pass on the way back to camp in Ouray from Telluride. It was a beautiful, sunny day. First time I had been on Immogene Pass when it wasn't a torrential downpour. You could see forever.
2cnvbpf.jpg

All in all a great trip with the exception of my refrigerator acting up in our coach. Time for an upgrade I guess.

Mike.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Well there is something to be said about taking two steps forward and one step back.:confused:

About two years ago I was looking for a hardmounted compressor idea for my Jeep. I had a portable Viair in my previous two Jeeps and it worked flawlessly other than a pain to dig out after each trail run. I had looked on many of the various Jeep forums and the majority of people running JK/JKU's were mounting their compressor in the engine bay next to the master cylinder/brake booster. My first thought was the enourmous amount of heat soak it would suffer from and potentially shorten its lifespan and diminish the compressor's performance. Upon inquiring no one had these heat issues so I opted to mount mine in the same place. Although it did make spark plug access much more difficult and overall stuffed an already tight engine bay.

I ordered a kit that came with the compressor, mounting bracket, remote air tank, manifold and all related pressure switches and wiring. All in all it was a very nice kit but it still wasn't giving me the warm & fuzzies about mounting it above the left exhaust manifold with all of that heat and just coming off a trail to rely on a heat soaked compressor motor.

On a hot day I could easily get up against the thermal cutout and have to wait for the unit to cool down. This happened twice over the past two years until last week when it happened three times in one week during mine and my wife's annual wheeling trip to Ouray, CO.

I had enough of it and Monday night removed the entire OBA (On-Board Air) system. The tank in all honesty is useless for filling up tires because halfway through the first tire the tank is depleted of it's reserve and you are running only on what the small compressor is putting out anyways. I like the York engine driven compressor but my budget being what it is ruled this out. I also had no issues with the small portable one I had used previously and the same one my son is STILL using in his LJ.

I looked long and hard trying to decide on a location to mount the compressor and I opted to have an open system and not run a tank. This will keep the system much less intricate and reduce some weight in the Jeep. I finally decided on a location just forward and above the right rear fender wheel inside the rear cargo area. With my tools and equipment loaded there is a nice sized void in this area where I opted to mount it. I did not want to drill into the tub of the Jeep and mount it but I also did not want it to interfere with either my soft top or my hard top.

I think I came up with a nice compromise/solution to the mounting. I started with a piece of .250"x2" strap to fasten to the tub rail using exisiting hard top mounting locations and a piece of .188"x4" flat stock to mount the compressor on welded at an angle to clear the carpet and tub so there is air flow all around the compressor and it is not touching anything. It is also far enough away from seatbelt and the plastic that houses my sub-woofer. Although I did use the sub-woofer box as a mounting location for my switch and air port location.

Here is what I started with yesterday after work.
2zh3x2r.jpg

Drilling the holes on the mill and getting the bolt pattern accurate.
2a6wg1c.jpg

Mocked up so I can get the angle of the dangle.
5pkbo4.jpg

Bracket completely welded and ready for a trial fit to decide on how to mount the air leader hose with check valve.
opxz5i.jpg

Bracket welded onto the mounting bracket to support the check valve and leader hose.
331o9de.jpg

Bead blasted, painted semi-gloss black and assembled on the bench ready for installation.
2h3u6pk.jpg

I removed the sub-woofer box and ran the air outlet out near the bottom where it will clear my tailgate when closed.
25u6sg5.jpg

This picture may be harder to see but I ran the poly air line up from the air fitting to a small hole I drilled at the top of the sub-woofer box for the air line to connect with the compressor assembly.
mlt3kz.jpg

I have read where some people use the existing power outlet in the sub-woofer box but it doesn't have enough current protection so I ran an isolated 12-gauge wire from my auxiliary battery through an inline fuse back to a 30 amp switch. I used the type of switch that has the safety cover over it to prevent it from accidently being turned on. I mounted it so I do not need to unzip my soft top or open the glass on my hardtop. I merely need to open my tailgate and reach up to the right side to turn the compresson on and hook up my hose to the air connector also located right at the sub-woofer box.
w6un1v.jpg

Completed. Compressor mounted, sub-woofer box reinstalled, all of the related wiring is zip-tied along the floor kick panel along with the factory wiring and the mess vacuumed up. This view is from the right rear door looking back into the cargo area and the mounted compressor.
2iuxcia.jpg

This picture is taken from the tailgate looking into the cargo area.
o9feyb.jpg

And she's done. I finished her up late last night and gave her a quick detail so she is ready to go.
300b5oy.jpg

Mike.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Very cool, nice fab work on the bracket... as usual! Onboard air is on my list.... I carry a nitrogen tank, but want something more permanent and less bulky. I was thinking about mounting a compressor in the recessed storage area in the back floor, then plumbing it to a tank under the Jeep. Interesting comment about the tank being useless!

Which Viair compressor do you have? It manages to keep up alright when airing back up?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Very cool, nice fab work on the bracket... as usual! Onboard air is on my list.... I carry a nitrogen tank, but want something more permanent and less bulky. I was thinking about mounting a compressor in the recessed storage area in the back floor, then plumbing it to a tank under the Jeep. Interesting comment about the tank being useless!

Which Viair compressor do you have? It manages to keep up alright when airing back up?

Greg, I am using the Viair 400C. Look at the ratings of compressors because many will tout their CFM ratings but they also are @ 0 PSI when they advertise. This is misleading because as the pressure increases the CFM decreases. I encourage you to look at the specifications around the 20-40 PSI ranges when comparing compressors. In this size compressor it will be hard to find one over 2 CFM in that range unless you start looking at an onboard York or comparable. The WARN Powerplant had one of the most impressive ratings rated @ 5 CFM @ 90 PSI. However, after owning one for nearly a year and a half I couldn't get if off my Jeep fast enough. It was continuously up against the TPD on about the third tire. It was the only WARN product I have not been happy with, which saddens me to have to say because I am a WARN loyalist based on past performance of products and support.

When I built my new bumper and sold the Powerplant I was going to merely mount a compressor like we did on my son's LJ. I had given him my last Viair (400P) portable unit that I had used in my previous two Jeeps and he opted to hardmount it to his LJ so he didn't have to dig it out of the storage area when needed. There was really nowhere we liked to mount a tank on his LJ so he just ran it as an open system but mounted permantently onboard his Jeep. I decided to go with the tank because of everything "good" I had been reading. When we would get to the end of the trail and air up we would finish within a minute or two of each other. I quickly discerned that the benefits of having a small air tank were purely academic. Personally I feel that those who endorse the air tank theory and merely doing so to feel better about their choice in having one. Once the air is depleted from the tank on that first tire, the tank serves absolutely NO purpose and the air coming from the compressor is going directly to the tire, never having a chance to build back up any reserve in the tank. Many have said, "when I go from one tire to the other and disconnect the air chuck the tank builds back up by the time I get to the next tire". I don't know about that, they must move at a glacial pace getting from one tire to another because we are talking a miniscule amount of reserve and it is depleted the instant the air chuck connects to the next tire. My son and I have done many side by side comparisons and his open/tankless system compared to my closed/tank system air up our tires nearly the same, around 15-18 minutes by the time we pull up to the air-up spot, grab the hose, connect it to the fitting and the first tire until the time the hose is rolled back up and we are ready to hit the pavement. This is also with me turning my compressor on 5+ minutes before getting to the air-up spot so I have a full tank and the pressure switch has been satisfied, so I have a bit of reserve over my son's system and it is still barely any benefit, if any at all.

Keep in mind I am not talking about a 20-80 gallon air tank here. Those are definitely a different animal than what we are talking about with OBA systems. A larger 5 or even 10 gallon tank would only make a small difference due to the volume output of the compressor being the limiting factor. Some people look at the small pancake construction compressors with a small 5.0 or even 6.0 gallon tank and compare them to that. Those again are not a good comparison because firstly, those have a slightly higher CFM compressor and secondly a nail gun delivers a quick blast of air pressure and then nothing until you squeeze the trigger again. An impact gun is a pneumatic motor which requires constant air volume and pressure to spin the motor and perform the required work, so therefore a small contractor's pancake compressor would fall into the same category of filling tires, the tank will be depleted and you will be running on compressor alone which simply does not put out enough volume to fill a tire AND put air into the reserve(tank). Even my big 60-gallon air compressor in my shop kicks on by the second or third tire and it puts out nearly 15 CFM @ 90 PSI from the two stage compressor.

I am sorry for the long answer to your simple question but it is frustrating to see so many people steer others in the direction they went merely because they either don't realize their tank system is closely comparable to a tankless sytem as far as volume, OR they simply won't admit when they made a mistake and think because they bought something it is the best out there and everyone should make the same mistake. I am not trying to piss off anyone who has an OBA system and loves their small air tank, I am merely stating the fact that the tank is not beneficial for the application that I use the OBA system for, airing up tires.

I hope that answered your question as I am ashamed to admit when I have made a mistake in a purchase. In this case I should have gone with my gut and head and not installed a full system including a tank and especially NOT installed it in the engine bay with all of that latent heat when a small open system using only a compressor will do the same thing and not have the heat related issues by mounting it remotely away from the engine bay.

Mike.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Quick little job tonight while waiting for a guy to come by the shop and pickup my OBA system that I posted up for sale last night.

This part broke last week while my wife and I were in Ouray, CO wheeling. Can you guess what it is???

Started with a piece of .625" 6061 aluminum.
1z3q6nr.jpg

Part completed and ready for installation.
3452djc.jpg

2my0nxv.jpg

2lmwa3t.jpg

Any ideas yet????
2db41m0.jpg

Last week the little plastic tab on the back of my CB mike broke. The cheap plastic tab was replaced with an aluminum one and she's done!!
qpj5th.jpg

fn9us6.jpg

Quick little 5 minute job that adds the "kool" factor.

Mike.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
The wife and I joined the FMCA 4-Wheelers about a year ago but because we are still working full-time we have not been able to attend an actual rally until last week. It was our first rally and it was awesome. Met some great people and wheeled in some beautiful areas.

The rally was the annual St. George, UT fall rally. We stayed at the Temple View RV park which did a great job hosting the rally. We had 82 coaches/Jeeps in attendance and ran trails everyday with the exception of Thursday, a day off to relax and some had to work on their Jeeps.

Here is the first morning where we met for our trail run and driver's meeting by the trail leader.
2ni6uz8.jpg

Ours in the lineup. A beautiful fall morning in southern Utah.
20kq6uu.jpg

Entering the Logandale Loop off-road area. The rocks and scenery were breathtaking.
2jcviae.jpg

2nao17s.jpg

We pulled into an alcove area to hike around and enjoy the area. This was on a Monday and we had the entire area to ourselves. There were some remote camping areas as we entered the canyon and I would bet it would be full on weekends.
29vfa0.jpg

We stumbled across an old "hitchin' post" and decided to tie up our Jeeps while we walked around.
2iv0hlu.jpg

On the next day we ran Hell Hole Pass trail. From the radio towers up on the top of the mountain you could see for a long, long ways. Here we are looking back into St. George/Hurrican area.
n2dabc.jpg

On Friday we ran the Barrack's Trail. It ended up at Mt. Carmel Junction and then we decided to run back through Zion National Park. The trail was great but the week earlier saw a lot of rain and some of the areas where we were supposed to exit the river were washed out. In those cases we had to drive up the river until we found a suitable exit. We had 13 Jeep that day ranging from stock to ones like ours. A few of the Jeeps had to be strapped to get out of the river in two places.
I don't have many pictures of the river and climbing out of it or crossing it but I have some video segments that I am trying to put together for my youtube channel. I will post a link when I get the video completed.

Here is a short youtube video of a few of our Jeeps running the Barrock's Trail and heading back through Zion NP.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6CvyvC1OkmsR1ZtyhdOk3w

Here are the 13 Jeeps entering Zion National Park. We were tail-gunning and it was quite a seen seeing a dozen Jeeps ahead of me all traveling through the park. We also got a lot of headturning.
14x03va.jpg

On Saturday, the last official day of the rally, there were only 3 trails being run and they were quite full so a few of us decided to take off on a rather long drive/trail run. It was the Taroweap Trail and is usually ran as an overnight trail where people stay at the Bar 10 ranch. It is situated at the Northern end of the Grand Canyon and is the highest point in the Grand Canyon where you have a direct straight shot town to the Colorado river. It stated that it is a 3k foot drop from these rocks on top of the canyon wall.
12529he.jpg

Here you can see the river down below. Sorry, I didn't feel comfortable getting any closer to the edge.:eek: There was no guardrail and it would only take one wrong step to go for a long, long fall before a splash.
bfno6x.jpg

And the worse part of the day/trip, airing back up.
15yvihz.jpg

All in all, there was no real obstacles on the Taroweap trail but it was a long day. Overall we covered 197 miles from camp back to camp. The trail itself was 70~ish miles long of dirt road. The last several miles was all that was rocky and slow going, but most was a dirt highway where we were able to travel at 45-50 MPH. We were spread out quite a bit though due to the dust.

Mike.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I'm embarrased as she's a little dirty, time to give her a bath after the LOF service.
2wftmaa.jpg

Our Jeep wears her badges with honor.
25ialpt.jpg

After performing the LOF and rotating the tires on the Jeep I decided to dig through my misc. switches and grab a section of wire and perform a ESC/BAS bypass mod.
2jdkfm0.jpg

I pulled the lower steering column panel as this is where I decided to mount my switch and fish the wires through.
33dgupi.jpg

You want to locate the large bundle of wires just behind the center console on the driver's side.
2m516wm.jpg

Once you get the outer casing and electrical tape removed, locate the PURPLE wire with the LT. BLUE straight stripe. This will be the wire that is NOT wrapped around another.
30vfwhu.jpg

Once you cut the wire, the dash should look like this indicating you have cut the correct wire.
2ur7zbm.jpg

I have seen people simply use butt connectors for this but I am NOT a fan of butt connectors. I prefer to solder and heat shrink for a permanent and trouble free connection.
Soldered.
2v9qcd4.jpg

Heat shrunk.
2wgt5hx.jpg

I then fished the wire up to the top of the lower kick panel where I could cut the wire and insert the SPST switch.
344qxiv.jpg

Switch installed. Tip, prior to drilling the hole in the panel, make certain the area behind where the switch will be is clear of any obstructions. Nothing worse than drilling a hold for a switch only to discover you can't put the switch there. I chose to use a standard 15-amp SPST switch with a rubber boot because I had it already.
f25752.jpg

Switch connected and panel reinstalled.
10znvjb.jpg

The switch is up and out of the way enough not to get accidentally bumped yet within easy reach. I have been wanting to do this quick little mod for over a year now and never seemed to have time so I decided to make time while it was in for a service.

Mike.

rholbrook

I should have had you practice on mine first. Unless you have seen this jeep in person you can't appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to every little detail.