Archived 2009 EJS Dumpster fundraiser!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Easter Weekend is just around the corner again. Once again Rocky Mountain Extreme is sponsoring the Potato Salad Hill (PSH) clean up, by raising money to pay for the dumpster and port-a-potty services for the area, along with the man–hours to clean up the trash that has historically been a headache for the BLM and the Sheriff’s office.

Potato Salad Hill is not part of the Red Rock 4-Wheelers event in any way, but is often a hangout for the Easter Weekend group that show up, and a 4x4 challenge for those not participating in the Red Rock 4-Wheelers event. And unfortunately these two groups of people get lumped together.

Without the 4x4 community proactive involvement Potato Salad Hill would very likely be closed for part or all of the week due to the issues and crowds that happen there.

Last year RME was able to gather just over $2000 to pay for the dumpster and port-a-potties and all extra funds were donated to the RR4W MUD fund to further help keep Moab trails open to the public. We felt that what we collected last year was appropriate and would like to duplicate those efforts and raise $2000 again!

Again we will be working with The Solution of Moab for recycling what we can, and closely with the BLM, Grand County Sherrifs office, RR4W, U4WDA and other various groups.

For phase one of this we need ask you to reach in your pocket and make a donation to the cause. Then at a later time we will coordinate the work crews to help clean the area.

You can visit http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/PSHcleanup2009.php for more details on the fund raising progress and to make a donation. Or donations can be made via paypal to PSHcleanup@RockyMountainExtreme.com. All funds will go directly to the cleanup of the area, dumpsters and port-a-potties. Anything collected over the needed amount will be donated to the RR4W MUD fund which will be used to keep Moab trails open.

Update on the Potato Salad Hill “will it be open” question. For the 2009 season PSH will be open per my discussion with the BLM. The land just on top of the hill has been purchased by a development company and one day will most likely be blocked off. Not sure to what extent that will prevent 4x4 use of the obstacle. Also there is an option to buy in place for the same development organization to purchase additional land surrounding PSH including part of the road that provides access to PSH. The purchase and legal questions are still unknown at this time. So enjoy and take care of this Moab icon while it is still available.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Throwin down the gauntlet...

ok, I just about doubled (not quite) the total as of the time of this post. I know it's a tough economy, but any amount helps here. even $10 puts us that much closer to the goal!

Break out your wallets!

Also, this is a challenge to all of you....for the past two years, my nephew and I (and the occasional RME dude or dudette) would show up every day at PSH to help Sara with the cleanup. She really appreciated it, but I'm not going to make it out this year. Who is going to take one for the team and be at PSH at sunrise every morning to keep the spirit of goodwill between wheelers and environmentalists (note this term is not intended as a derogatory term in this context)? It may not seem like much, but every positive thing you can do in the eyes of people who tend to be opposed to wheelin, is a great thing.

Have the last several years changed Sara's mind completely? I don't know, but I do know that we have had a very positive effect on her perceptions of what we wheelers are about. That also spreads to her friends and her acquaintances. Overall, I think all of our efforts have had a positive effect. I know it is appreciated by the RR4W as this is just something they don't have to worry about.

There it is, JD's throwin down the gauntlet!

Attachments

• Copy of paypal receipt 2009 EJS PSH cleanup.jpg
    Copy of paypal receipt 2009 EJS PSH cleanup.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
My family and I have been there every year for the past three years picking up trash at least one early morning. We will be there again and we will donate. Thanks for organizing this effort.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Im basically unemployed right now so I cant help with cash but I will be more than happy to go several mornings to help clean.

We will be staying at Pack creek so were not far away.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My family and I have been there every year for the past three years picking up trash at least one early morning. We will be there again and we will donate. Thanks for organizing this effort.

Im basically unemployed right now so I cant help with cash but I will be more than happy to go several mornings to help clean.

Good on you guys! Thanks for donating the time! :cool:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member

You and your families ROCK!!!! Thanks for volunteering!

Coco

I will do my best to run there atleast one morning, and clean up a bit, I got some RC rock crawlers, and I may play with them a little while I am there.:greg: I am signing up for some trails on the weekend, so I cant then, but I will

LT.

I can help as well. I am willing to drive my pickup truck there and fill it up if we can. This is one cause that I don't have to really think about. I would be happy to pick up some trash.

LT.

mrclean

INTERNET WHEELER
My plans so far are to leave early friday morning i'll stop by and see if anyone is still there as long as i get there early i can help not sure about saturday yet.

Maybe i'll bring my RC crawler and play for a min if there's going to be others there.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Good on all of you who have responded. Now it's time for some other folks to step up.

If everyone gave just $1, we'd have more than what we need. Remember, all excess goes to the MUD fund!

This is a great cause!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Sara is part of The Solutions of Moab (http://www.moab-solutions.org). If you closed your eyes and tried to think of the type of person who is most likely to work hard to kick jeeps out of Moab, you would probably invision Sara. Also she is very vocal in Moab and a huge promoter of keeping areas pristine. She also has semi-adopted PSH as her own backyard.

She is the perfect "enemy" right?

Well Sara has taken the time to work with the BLM, with RME, etc and has been a HUGE supporter of the PSH clean up, and working side by side with RME members. She understand that you can hike, bike, walk dogs, motor cycle, 4-wheel, etc and all care about the land, care about protecting it, and work to keep it clean and better for the next person. She has been a perfect ally to help coordinate and promote the PSH clean up process, and get the word out that even though we all have different activities we all can work together and take care of the land.

Sara is a big promoter of recycle, she takes the recycle to a whole new level than I have seen before. But she has had the recycle bins installed, and she sorts and removes the recycle goods from PSH. I can safely say that Sara has put more hours into cleaning up the PSH mess that is left by the Easter weekend party kids than anyone else. She does not like the crowds, so she will go to PSH at insane hours in the morning to start cleaning, and she is very dedicated to the project.

Until last year Sara had never even sat in a Jeep. Blacksheep talked her into going for a short ride in his Jeep and she had a great time. A year later and she mentioned to me again about what a great time she had.

So in short she is one of these un-expected "friend of 4-wheeling" who just like you and me is a "greenie" who cares about the land we all enjoy.

Here is a page on her website about the PSH clean up from a few years ago

http://moab-solutions.org/SolutionsProjects.html