5.0 Tbird EFI swap.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
maybe ill make it up wayne's world....or not crash into one of those trees at the top of the bypass that i seem to do alot :rolleyes:

steve, got any pic of it? you comming to the meet and greet?
your buggy's got enough ford in it to come :rofl:

Bucking Bronco

Probably. I was thinking about heading out to the snakes before to justify loading up the buggy.
eb9c233a.jpg

broncomitch

nice! i never seen that around...unless it's changed alot.

well, flashed the code's on my check engine light. so need to figure out whats wrong.

i took it for a drive last night...got about 2 blocks and turned around,about the time i pull back into my subdivision it starts to back fire and miss like crazy! it would only idel and if ya toched the gas at all it would back fire and miss again.

lookin like i will be towing it to the meet and greet:-\

broncomitch

well, i replaced a few sensors after a frozen coolent scare....with no luck.

it still has the same problem....it's really starting to get to me...:mad:

EB101

Mitch, we've gotta get your rig on the road. Sounds like you lucked out on that hard freeze. Is is still doing the same thing, you listed above, only able to idle, missing etc when you give it some gas? Did you end up with mass air instead of the S.D.? If you did I have every critical part from the mass air meters to injectors and even an ecm we could swap in and save you buying parts to troubleshoot. Without going through all your posts again, is your fuel pressure right? It seems like a faulty regulator or pump would keep enough fuel there to idle and leave you hanging under a load.
-Steve

broncomitch

well, before hand it would idle all day and rev up all day but if ya drove it it would cut out and die in no time and would back fire and miss till ya let it sit for a few hr's or the next day.

now it will run for a little bit but will miss once then die unless i give it a little or a lot of gas wont back fire tho. not sure on the driving tho,front brake line is still broken sense the meet and greet and really not willing risking it dieing in the middle of the road in the snow lol

fuel pump is 43gph at 85psi have not checked the pressure tho.

thanks steve, very generous of ya! i really want it going again....it makes me sad having it sit there.

broncomitch

well me and eb101 have been making good headway.

first problem we found was the fuel pump was not holding it's pressure. so we put his backup pump on and its holds now.

second was i had a few bad fuel injector so we put a set he had on his bronco on.

3rd was the computer would not give any code's cus it was reading i was not in park..my papers said not to use it so i pulled the wire out. so put it back in and grounded it. code reader said i had 4 code's the 3 where normal but the 4th was my O2 sensors. it said it was in wide open mode and was running way rich. turns out i had 3 wires mixed up on the left side.

fixed that and was running better and was not throwing any code's!!!

so one would think that my problems would be fixed,ya?

nope. drove it down the road about a block and turned around and it started backfiring and running like crap. pulled it back in and let it idle and then it started running better. so desided to call it a night and as i pulled it back out, i went down the drive way and was still running good but as i was about to park it, it started doing it again....:confused:

i don't get it..

Bart

Mine did that when a the wire from my 02 was having a problem disconnecting. Also had a big vacuum leak once that caused similar problems. Turned out to be a loose bolt in the plenum.

broncomitch

made some good headway today.

found out that when it start's bogging down the fuel pressure drops to 0psi but when you let off the gas it will go back up to 35psi. but it's not like that all the time.
and it seems to run rich or lean when it dose it, but it's not cus of the 02 sensors there working and im not throwing any bad code's .

we drove it around for like 45mins and i even got to wheel it a little on the baja course on the side of steve's house ( witch was ALOT of fun!! ) and ran perfect with no problem's.
but it started doing it again when we where about to pull it back in the drive way.
:mad:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
It sounds like your getting closer! Im glad you are working on it.

I sure hope I dont have these issues with my efi. I would have given up and yanked it months ago

Taco4life

This thread is giving me a little hope, I am rolling my rig back into the garage to work on it tonight, after sitting for a few months. Hopefully I don't have as many issues with mine as you have but I expect a fair amount.

4Runner

have you figured out the problem? my dad was having the same problem on his jeep and it ended up being a fuel pump and the filter.

broncomitch

Im off to Nevada tomorrow. Want to take bets whos efi is working first?

Leroy is the man but Im still a Beck so we will see

I bet your's.

ya your a beck, but you got the good beck genes :rofl:

This thread is giving me a little hope, I am rolling my rig back into the garage to work on it tonight, after sitting for a few months. Hopefully I don't have as many issues with mine as you have but I expect a fair amount.
i doubt ya will.
as long as ya take your time and can read you should have no problem's. if mine was a mustang setup it would be on the trails month's ago.
but i pretty much had nothing to go on and had to figure it out with some help here and there.

have you figured out the problem? my dad was having the same problem on his jeep and it ended up being a fuel pump and the filter.

not yet, next work day is monday or tuesday.

im going to get a NEW fuel pump from a 88 ford f250 5.8 (that's the back up pump we have in it now but who know's how old it is)
still mad the one i got from summit is no good!

Last edited:

broncomitch

ok...i think she's fixed.
not sure what we did.
but my fuel pickup started leaking pretty bad,well steve had a new one so we put that on.

the screen on the pickup tube was half way off and i think was getting sucked in the pickup tube causing the pressure to drop that caused the back firing and what not.

so i put my trick flow pump back on and it's running on 45psi and when ya give it gas it jumps up to 50psi how it should. it's ideling better and has tun's more power.

drove it around for a bit did a little wheeling and never missed a beat. :greg:

so it's time for it to come home and piss off my neighbor...and with any luck ill be able to take it to the snake's on sat.
we will see tho, i want to make more solid wiring connections (soldering,not crimping) and need to fab up a traction bar really bad now also,and need to fix my death wobble cus ill need to drive it there.