8.1 Vortec YJ

gtidrivr

FWIW, I would recommend that you rid the rear yoke of the straps and bolts. Just drill it out and run u-bolts. They will save a bunch of hassle some day...

markegbert

markegbert
FWIW, I would recommend that you rid the rear yoke of the straps and bolts. Just drill it out and run u-bolts. They will save a bunch of hassle some day...

tell me how i can do this. on the strap style yoke the holes are drilled closer to the u joint. if i drill out the existing holes the u bolts would be to wide for the u joint.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've run the straps for quite a while now. I do check them fairly frequently, but really haven't had any issues (TBI 350 is NOT EQUAL to a 8.1L, though).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Straps are stronger than u bolts. Problem is your supposed to replace them each time they are off and nobody ever does, so they get loose and fail. Maintain your junk and you'll never walk ;)

gtidrivr

If you take the yoke off and mill the holes, they will work.

I found out the hard way one time. I had the straps, broke a joint, and while it broke a strap, it also broke an ear in the yoke. So, I had to front dig all the way out, and have a new yoke brought down from Six States. Not a huge deal, but not ideal either.

I know the second time it happened, when I had the u-bolts, it was a much easier fix, and no yoke was needed.

markegbert

markegbert
Straps are stronger than u bolts. Problem is your supposed to replace them each time they are off and nobody ever does, so they get loose and fail. Maintain your junk and you'll never walk ;)

this is incorrect. straps disperse the load to the top 1/2 of the straps only, u bolts disperse the load evenly over the entire u bolt. yes straps do stretch and should be replaced frequently depending on use, but u bolts are stronger. i have seen some machined straps that look at least 3 times the size and strength of a spicer strap, but i think they where like 80 bucks for the set. does anyone know where i can get u bolts to replace my straps? and maybe a part#

gtidrivr

does anyone know where i can get u bolts to replace my straps? and maybe a part#

I don't know what the part # is, and last I knew they didn't make them for 1410 stuff. So, I always used 1350. I'm sure you're aware they are the same cap.

Also, IIRC you need to grind down the nut face on the back of the yoke to ensure the u-bolt is long enough to get the nuts all the way on. Hope this helps!

Cougar1

Banned
I'm not sure that's going to cut the mustard. :rofl::rofl:
attachment.php

You do have a bunch of torque from that 8.1L, but I bet it'll hold up well. :D Looks good.

I love the ride height.
attachment.php
That is one hell of a truck! Where did you buy it? Army Surplus?

markegbert

markegbert
got some work done!! 3/16 boat sides

Attachments

• 2011-03-28_14-21-47_575.jpg
    2011-03-28_14-21-47_575.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2011-03-28_14-22-16_379.jpg
    2011-03-28_14-22-16_379.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 34

markegbert

markegbert
and notched frame, cut like 4 inches out.

Attachments

• 2011-03-28_14-21-13_98.jpg
    2011-03-28_14-21-13_98.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2011-03-28_14-22-26_590.jpg
    2011-03-28_14-22-26_590.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 47