Toyota '85 Yota build...FINALLY

Coco

haha! I could only hope! My biggest things (I think) I got left are the duals, and the front axle. I will probably need help with those :D

I am hoping to get some cash so I can have the tube bed built also. Just gotta see

So I am going to be re-painting this thing when it is all said any done, any ideas? I was thinking maybe a military type paint scheme, or do a Monster energy theme, but that is just so over done. Remember I do want to keep it unique :)

sixstringsteve

even though it's overdone, I love monster energy green. But I'm an 80's child. I like the flat tan/offwhite colors too.

I think a flat pear green would be sweet. Like a light pastel flat green. Whenever you decide to be unique, expect people to make fun of it or state that they don't like it.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
To be honest if you want to be unique colton you should just keep the blue flames or paint it a flat blue or red with black lower panels

Coco

I was thinking about maybe doing white with red flames, or one of my buddies said to do like gun metal gray, with ghosted black tread pattern down the hood and fenders

Coco

The only problem with gum metal gray, is I am not sure if I will be able to get that in rattle cans. Remember I am on a budget, so I cant afford a professional paint job haha.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
find an ace hardware or any kind of trailer place, they usually have it in industrial paint, here i can get it for $40 for a gallon ready to paint

sixstringsteve

I've had really good luck with painter's touch by rustoleum. It covers about twice as much as a normal can. And it's the same price. And home depot has tons of colors.

STAG

On my grind
Fwiw I'm sure rattlecanning your whole truck isn't any way to stay on a budget for a paintjob, I'm sure a quart or two of paint and a harbor freight spray gun are cheaper than 40 rattlecans.

Coco

you could be right there Chance, that is still later down the road tho, I need to get thetube bed built, and my new fenders and all that stuff done first before I will paint the truck. It will look good with just white fenders, and the hood and doors got "purple" flames on them haha.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I agree stay away from the rattle cans they suck i use them everyonce in awhile to do small parts like i did my sliders last night and every time it makes my finger dead the next day. Buy a 10 dollar habor freight gun they arent to bad at all, and get a gallon of cheap paint and do it right it will pay off in the end

STAG

On my grind
I agree stay away from the rattle cans they suck i use them everyonce in awhile to do small parts like i did my sliders last night and every time it makes my finger dead the next day. Buy a 10 dollar habor freight gun they arent to bad at all, and get a gallon of cheap paint and do it right it will pay off in the end

Problem solved. This is what I always use when I rattlecan something, it helps with finger fatigue but my favorite part is it keeps your fingertip the color it should be, not whatever color you're spraying. Plus its like $2.
http://makezine.com/images/tools/sprayhandle.jpg

sixstringsteve

yup. I used rattlecan for my last rig (with the trigger thingy), and it only cost about $30-40 in paint. That painter's touch stuff comes out THICK and covers really well. The hood only took me 1 can.

That being said, if you DO decide to use rattlecan, do it right and it'll look ok. take your time, don't get too close, spray back and forth, and do GOOD prep. If you skip any of these steps it'll look like poo.

If you're wanting to do it right, get a sprayer and learn how to do it yourself. if you're lazy, and you don't care too much about it, use rattlecan (even though it's more physical work, it's less "mental" work to learn). the main benefit that I saw with rattlecan is the ability to touch stuff up when you scrape it off on a tree or rock. Just don't pick a color that they'll discontinue later on :D

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
the hammer texture rattle can paint (rustoleum, I think) has a gun-metal grayish color.

OR

it may sound dumb, but when we painted my wife's truck pink, we got a gallon of decent oil based paint and used 6" sponge rollers on it. It actually turned out surprisingly well! A really even coat with no drips, no thicker areas, and because we used a roller, the texture had a slight ripple kind of like a bed liner, but less textured. When I paint my 'runner I'll probably go that route. The truck is now being parted out by 86runner in the classifieds section. You may be able to get a decent look at the paint job in his pictures. The paint stuck really well, too! We scraped it in a couple places, and the scrape was a straight line, no chipping around it like you see a lot of times.

864runner

I know I'm your hero
the hammer texture rattle can paint (rustoleum, I think) has a gun-metal grayish color.

OR

it may sound dumb, but when we painted my wife's truck pink, we got a gallon of decent oil based paint and used 6" sponge rollers on it. It actually turned out surprisingly well! A really even coat with no drips, no thicker areas, and because we used a roller, the texture had a slight ripple kind of like a bed liner, but less textured. When I paint my 'runner I'll probably go that route. The truck is now being parted out by 86runner in the classifieds section. You may be able to get a decent look at the paint job in his pictures. The paint stuck really well, too! We scraped it in a couple places, and the scrape was a straight line, no chipping around it like you see a lot of times.

He's seen it in person, he came to get some parts off of it. It is a pretty cool paint job. too bad some people don't know how to drive :(

sixstringsteve

yeah, i was surprised the pink paint wasn't fading, or chipping, or flaking off where it got hit, but it looked great. I may try rolling my next car I do.