A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
If Friday it is then count me in...I just found out my sister is coming into town tomorrow, this may throw a kink in my timeline probaby not but she'll understand.

MicahMan

All my gear is available but I will not be. Friday sounds like the best time for everyone. Good luck and you gents will get this done!

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I should be good for Friday as well. I can't stand to not finish a project I've started. Unless it's really, really necessary, I'd like to leave the Tundra home and take the 4Runner. That MEG trail was pretty annoying with a full-sized rig.

The key to recovering this rig is going to be winch points. There are 0 mother-nature-provided ones around. I would highly recommend someone bring some heavy steel, big hammers, and lots of muscle to pound some things in the ground. Ideally, 2 on top of the high-side of road, on the hill, would be perfect. They would need to be sticking out of the ground at least 2 - 3' so you can run winch line to it. Yes, that's how high above the road, this hill is. This way, you can double up on rigs with an anchor each, and use snatch blocks to secure the front and rear. I would then pull from the front. The idea of placing 2x10's with some rebar just might work. For the rear, very likely it will. For the front, it may not. It is literally millimeters away from sliding down - the rebar would have to be fairly long and someone would have to figure out how to be able to stand on a very slippery sidehill long enough to pound it in.

Steve did an outstanding job coordinating efforts last night. Sadly, he put me in charge and we were unsuccessful :(. Not saying it was from lack of effort or even lack of brain power, we just didn't have the necessary winch points to create the needed recovery angles. Pulling straight forward or straight back is not an option. The recovery points have to be high on the hillside and we'll need plenty of cable.

Go team RME!!! :tara:

sixstringsteve

You did great Andrew, I'm glad you were there last night! We just weren't quite prepared for the long task at hand. I'm sure Bart will get it all taken care of. For those that don't know Bart yet, you're in for a treat. He's a great guy with more experience than almost anyone in Utah. You're in good hands.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Is rebar going to be enough? Or do we need to source some axle shafts with pointy ends?

I'll bring what I have - some straps, some shackles, a comealong, a highlift and bushranger, and me.

Go team RME!!! :tara:

This is the third rescue on the board since I blew up in Helper, and the third time you've been Johnny on the spot. Go team Andrew. :)

Last edited:

UFAB

Call me if needed.

801 719 8140. I can be there in a 2 hour window

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Bart

I am okay with being in charge on the hill, but will not take responsibility if it gets away from us. Also know that I value input.

I plan to be in the parking lot at 7:30 Friday morning, ready to go. I can probably make it up there faster than most so we will probably split into 2 groups. The first will be those that can travel fast so we can get up and start assessing the situation and the second will be those that will be a little slower and most likely carrying the majority of the equipment.

There have been offers on here for equipment and I'd like to have as much as possible. If we could get 3 Pull Pals and come-a-longs, that would rock. Bring straps, shovels, and any recovery equipment that you have or can borrow.

For those that have time before Friday and want to go up there, please do. It wouldn't hurt if someone could take a sign to put on the windshield stating that we are working on the situation and have a plan. That may keep the honest dummies from being stupid. More daylight pictures of the situation would be great also, especially up the hill, in front, and in the back.

snwbrdr852

Yeah Andrew... The way we were setup, you had the most to lose, so it was fitting that you were in charge. I'm glad you made the call to quit when you did, because it was late enough already and it's really easy for people to get ahead of themselves in a situation like that.

What time Friday sounds good to everyone? 7:30ish?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Depending on what happens with my sister coming into town I might be better off heading up tonight to fill that request Bart.

I've done a recovery up MEG before and know that I can get from my house to about where this rig is in under 2.5 hours so if I'm able to go Friday I'll be able to run with the fast driving crew.

snwbrdr852

Ah, sounds like 7:30 it is. I appreciate you willing to take the lead Bart. And know that I don't/won't blame anyone but myself.

I obviously don't have a truck to take up, but I'll bring my (knockoff) HiLift, shovel, shackles, snatch block, tow strap, tree strap, and a bunch of hand tools to recover what I can in case things go bad.
...Oh, and donuts :)

MBD09

I will go up today to get the pictures if i have another rig or 2 with me, hate traveling those roads without support just in case, you know.
Otherwise i will be in the p-lot by 7:30am to assist in anyway i can.

It may be wise to call the forest service to let them know the vehicle is there and that a recovery is in progress.

I am good for any time on any day (no job at the moment).
send me a PM for my number and lets sync up.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I will go up today to get the pictures if i have another rig or 2 with me, hate traveling those roads without support just in case, you know.
Otherwise i will be in the p-lot by 7:30am to assist in anyway i can.

It may be wise to call the forest service to let them know the vehicle is there and that a recovery is in progress.

I am good for any time on any day (no job at the moment).
send me a PM for my number and lets sync up.

Call Micah, he wanted to go up today. His number is upthread.

Coco

I will unfortunately not be able to make it early Friday due to work, I will try make it up tonight to see if I can assist, or tomorrow. I can probably cruise up on the quad and get some pics tonight or tomorrow after work?

sixstringsteve

Is there a danger of having too many people up there? Or, are all hands welcome?

It'd probably be best if nobody hook anything to it or attempt a recovery before Friday with Bart's group.

I'll call the Forest Service and let them know. I love the idea of a note on the rig.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
AndrewBart,

I was thinking on a good, safe way to do this...

what about two spikes uphill from the rig with parallel ratchet straps tied to the rig front and rear.
when you pull the rig either direction, the straps keep the rig parallel to the road and allow movement side-side and slightly uphill, like a pendulum.
add a third spike in a row up hill with the same spacing as the first two. Two more ratchet straps, one to the middle spike and one to the new spike.
Start with the left two straps tight with the rig centered below the left and middle spikes.
Pull the rig to the right til centered below middle and right spike, tighten the right straps and loosen the others
Pull the rig the opposite way until centered below the left and middle spike, snug left straps, loosen right...
This pulls the rig uphill a couple inches at a time, the rig is always tied to the uphill side via 4 straps and 3 spikes.

confusing in text, I can draw a picture if need be...

dutchman

KI7KSV
It'd probably be best if nobody hook anything to it or attempt a recovery before Friday with Bart's group.

I'll call the Forest Service and let them know. I love the idea of a note on the rig.

I meant having too many people with Bart's group on Friday, but the more man power the better I guess. Especially since we all seem to have a common goal and similar mindsets.