A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

snwbrdr852

Again, you guys are amazing.

Well it sounds like Friday would be the best time for another attempt.
There's definitely a chance it could go before then, especially with the possibility for some rain, but based on the amount of help available I'll take those odds over sooner attempts with less help.
It really is a hairy situation. There's been a lot of good ideas that are worth trying, but priority #1 is going to be minimizing the risk to whoever and whatever is up there helping. I definitely don't want to be the cause of someone else losing their rig ...or worse.

I'm not completely lacking in recovery experience, but you guys are the experts. So bearing that in mind, here are my thoughts -
Obviously this would be dependent on the condition that secure anchor points could be made, which wouldn't be easy, but I think is doable with the right equipment and enough time (the axle shafts would be worth trying).
Have winch points forward and rear of the vehicle at uphill angles (forward would have to be a snatch block) and another line anchored directly uphill of the 4Runner just to prevent it from going over.
Then alternate pulling forward and back, while also tightening up the center anchor line. That would allow for the tires to do half of the work. And then once it got up over the edge, it would be easier to back it down the trail with that forward winch point.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have all the rebar we would need (and a big hammer) to drive into the ground on the high slope on the driver side. If we could get them in the ground good enough, we could strap from them to the b pillar and then winch backwards. I can weld a t to the top of them so there will be no chance the strap will come off. The anchored straps would pivot and hold the rig from going over. Once we have moved back a few feet, we strap into the next rebar anchored into the ground and repeat until its on solid ground.

I think there are enough ideas out now, for the owner to put a plan together and let us know what he wants done, with the understanding that there are no guarantees.

Like I said before, I can head up friday morning and bring the rebar. I need to know before 2pm today so I can get the material ready.

MicahMan

I have today to help and can get rebar and such. I will work with the plans we have and I have a good amount of recovery gear and can buy anything we need at home depot on the way. It might even be worth stabilizing it so the rain doesn't get em.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have today to help and can get rebar and such. I will work with the plans we have and I have a good amount of recovery gear and can buy anything we need at home depot on the way. It might even be worth stabilizing it so the rain doesn't get em.

Micah, I think stabilizing the truck is an awesome idea. If I were going to help with that today I'd have to leave RIGHT NOW, but if anybody else can get up there with rebar and a strap I think it'd be a good move.

MicahMan

Do we have GPS coordinates? I could head up now and get it stabilized. I'll grab Rebar and leave a strap there. Anyone else in?

sixstringsteve

The last time I had to get someone out in a similar position I used a high lift jack on the downhill end of the bumper with the jack purposely at an up hill angle. Once the jack got the rig up high enough to where the wheels could slide the jack tipped over pushing the rig uphill. We alternated the jack from front to back and repeated the process until the rig was back on the road. That rig wasn't on as steep of a hill and the only way I would try it on this one would be to use a winch pulling the axle up hill with an anchor point and a snatch block.

That's a great idea, but it probably won't work in this situation. All the material under the passenger wheels is about 2' deep shale. It's very slippery and ready to give out at any minute.

I do think we could run a strap through the windows and pull the top towards the driver's side mound, but you'll still need a way to move the truck back. I think the biggest safety factor is the fact that the shale under the pass side could give way at any minute, taking the entire truck with it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
As I said earlier, I am willing to lend a hand with this operation, schedule permitting. Speaking of, I see lots of members who are available on Friday but nobody has said they are available on Thursday. Thursday is the July 4th holiday. Am I the only guy on here who has that day off work?

sixstringsteve

I have to work Friday, but I have the following tools available for someone to use:

- come-along with synthetic line and snatch block
- snatch block
- bushranger x-jack
- 2 20' 8000 lb tow straps
- 4 shackles
- 1 7500 lb ARB snatch strap (dynamic)
- 1 pull pal
- 1 gopro to document the recovery (I wish I could be up there to film it)

snwbrdr852

I pulled these from Google Earth, but they'll at least be close enough.

Lat - 40°32'52.79"N
Lon - 111°38'32.14"W

MAN, you guys are awesome!! Anchoring it today would be much appreciated, and I would gladly reimburse for time/materials.
But to anybody who does go up there, above all else just remember to be careful! It's not worth risking yourself or your rig for mine...

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i'm pretty open to lend some muscle if need be. i would need a ride but am ready and willing to dig, pull or whatever.

shoot me a txt if you guys need manpower. 801-906-9227, i'm in murray, off at 6 tonight and free through the weekend.

good luck guys, i would hate to see an innocent yota go down like that.

MBD09

I am also available to help if needed; today, tomorrow whenever.
The only thing i have is a TJ with a 12k winch and 4 30' (i think) 15k ratchet straps if they would come to any use.

If there is a way to get anchors up there today to help prevent any possible movement? i am willing to assist in anyway i can.
The pictures provided only show so much and i know the conditions are different than any picture can provide but i have a good camera and get more if anyone needs/wants them.

My fear at the moment would be upsetting the already bad footing the vehicle has by trying anything other than a full/final recovery.

sixstringsteve

I wouldn't be too worried about the rain, it's sitting in shale, and I don't think that'll make a huge difference (but I could be wrong).

The one thing I'm sure this recovery needs is a dedicated recovery leader who calls all the shots. We have lots of willing people with equipment, but we really need someone very experienced with this stuff calling the shots (like having 1 spotter instead of 6 when wheeling).

The ground is very hard on the uphill side and very soft on the downhill side. I think Rebar/spikes uphill, and forward of the truck would be the ticket.

4biker

Wow - 7 pages of great minds figuring out a difficult situation. I wish I could come up Friday to lend a hand and a winch.

How robust are the rollbars on 1st gen's? You could try pulling the fiberglass roof off and use the rollbar as a high anchor point for either anchoring to the hill or a vehicle behind. It may be too dicey to even be climbing all over the rig though. if it's possible, it would also make the rig less top-heavy.

LT.

I was thinking about this also but it looks like it might be easier to try to anchor the driver rear corner and rotate the front end down hill. Then with an anchor and snatch block you could winch him straight backwards up the hill.

I was just thinking about that as well. Anything that could be done to solve one issue and make the rig more suitable and stable for a recovery. Solve one problem before trying to tackle another.

LT.