A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Yes, I'll bring it along.

How wide can I make the T's on these anchors and still be able to use this? Does't the post fit inside the driver?

I've got my crazy long winch extension strap, snatch block, tree strap, high lift, como-a-long, some 5k lb ratchet straps, log chain, and a handfull of shackles. Looking to work out having my sister over for dinner on saturday so I should be able to make it.

What, no helicopter? :D

sixstringsteve

I get it about the T's now, that would work just fine. I thought you were going to weld a "T" across the top of 3 or 4 different pieces of rebar.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Wow, I was thinking 4" posts. The rebar is about 1 1/8" so if I use a T just under 2.5, that wont be much of a T. Guess it will have to work.

sixstringsteve

I'm sure it'd work without the T. Think of those big outdoor tent sale tents and how they're tethered to the ground with a few giant spikes. I think that'd work.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Maybe I misunderstood (again). I'm putting a T at the top of the post, just to prevent a strap from slipping off, not to go into the ground to help anchor. From the sounds of it, we would never get the bar into the ground.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm sure it'd work without the T. Think of those big outdoor tent sale tents and how they're tethered to the ground with a few giant spikes. I think that'd work.

I don't think the T is needed either. The rebar has a pretty rough surface on it, I doubt a strap would slip. But if the bar bent over I could see a T helping out a bit.

sixstringsteve

I could also see a T, or an L, or a hook on the end making it easier to remove.

Regardless, I think you want to drive them in at an angle so the strap is on the bottom of the spike, closest to the ground, rather than at the very end of the t, where it has the most leverage to bend.

like this
spike.JPG

If you angled 3 or 4 of these with a strap going around all of them, I think it'd be a pretty good anchor. A lot better than a pull pal.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
This is what I have. They are about 5 feet long. I can weld the T on if we decide we want to.

IMG-20130703-00285.jpg

IMG-20130703-00286.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
yeah, we'll angle them in and keep the strap just about on the ground. They'd pull out before they would bend.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I can't see it hurting at all welding the tee on. I'm certain that if we managed to bend one of those the T would help keep whatever strap or cable or whatever from slipping of. And like Steve said it will make removal much easier.

snwbrdr852

As a few people have mentioned, it would be really nice to be able to get it pointed downhill and just winch it down to the next switchback ...But unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe winches are designed to brake very effectively in a power OUT situation.

The spikes are looking very promising though. As long as we can get them driven deep enough, I think we'll be in good shape with those.