A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

Wow! You guys rock. Bart told me about this earlier, this is my first chance to log in. Unfortunately, work commitments will (likely) keep me off the mountain on Friday.

Several good ideas mentioned. We did a rescue of a blazer in the same situation a few years ago, and anchoring uphill in multiple places as suggested was the trick, then we SLOWLY pulled it backward up onto the trail. There were multiple winch rigs behind each other, with their cables going up to the anchor points and back down to the stuck rig. Always thinking about the next re-rigging is key, especially if the first/front winch has outlived it's usefulness.

I am okay with being in charge on the hill, but will not take responsibility if it gets away from us. Also know that I value input.

I plan to be in the parking lot at 7:30 Friday morning, ready to go. I can probably make it up there faster than most so we will probably split into 2 groups. The first will be those that can travel fast so we can get up and start assessing the situation and the second will be those that will be a little slower and most likely carrying the majority of the equipment.

There have been offers on here for equipment and I'd like to have as much as possible. If we could get 3 Pull Pals and come-a-longs, that would rock. Bring straps, shovels, and any recovery equipment that you have or can borrow.

For those that have time before Friday and want to go up there, please do. It wouldn't hurt if someone could take a sign to put on the windshield stating that we are working on the situation and have a plan. That may keep the honest dummies from being stupid. More daylight pictures of the situation would be great also, especially up the hill, in front, and in the back.

I was thinking on a good, safe way to do this...

what about two spikes uphill from the rig with parallel ratchet straps tied to the rig front and rear.
when you pull the rig either direction, the straps keep the rig parallel to the road and allow movement side-side and slightly uphill, like a pendulum.
add a third spike in a row up hill with the same spacing as the first two. Two more ratchet straps, one to the middle spike and one to the new spike.
Start with the left two straps tight with the rig centered below the left and middle spikes.
Pull the rig to the right til centered below middle and right spike, tighten the right straps and loosen the others
Pull the rig the opposite way until centered below the left and middle spike, snug left straps, loosen right...
This pulls the rig uphill a couple inches at a time, the rig is always tied to the uphill side via 4 straps and 3 spikes.

confusing in text, I can draw a picture if need be...

This is a pretty good idea. You can also replace the ratchet straps with winches (if they can reach from vehicles behind the stuck vehicle) or GOOD come-alongs.

This is similar to what we did, but rather than move it forward again though, re-rig and continue to pull it back, pulling it up onto the trail in the process. Several stakes up on the hill and multiple winches/straps/come-alongs are key here. Just inch it back onto the trail.

I will be at Tibble Fork parking lot friday at 7:30. A few straps, a winch, and some shackles, is all I can offer.

Davy, I have Glenn's pull-pal I can drop off tomorrow if that's ok, I'd like to pick up those axle shafts too. I have a length of cable I can bring too. It's seen some triple snatch rigging a time or two. 2 snatch blocks as well, give them to Dempsey afterwards.

Good luck everyone, play it safe.

Have we established a CB channel that everyone can turn to? It would be nice to have everyone on the same page, that way if communication is needed from the top of MEG, someone might be listening down the canyon. Conversely, people heading up during the day can get ahold of the working crew...

Here's my contribution: CB channel 4 :D

Last edited:
I also agree with the following: resist the urge to drop the rear and/or lower to the next switchback. Stay where you have the most control and best probability of recovery, and that is on the trail.

It will be impossible to have too many straps/come-alongs/D-rings and snatch blocks on this recovery. Same with rebar and axle-shaft spikes/stakes.

Pickaxe & shovels are probably good ideas too.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I'm in. Will be at Tibble @ 7:30 (if that's still the time). I'm coming from Centerville and will be happy to carpool with anyone from up here. FYI to anyone who rides with me, I've got to pick up my daughter on the way home.

Send me a PM for carpooling.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

snwbrdr852

what about two spikes uphill from the rig with parallel ratchet straps tied to the rig front and rear.
when you pull the rig either direction, the straps keep the rig parallel to the road and allow movement side-side and slightly uphill, like a pendulum.
add a third spike in a row up hill with the same spacing as the first two. Two more ratchet straps, one to the middle spike and one to the new spike.
Start with the left two straps tight with the rig centered below the left and middle spikes.
Pull the rig to the right til centered below middle and right spike, tighten the right straps and loosen the others
Pull the rig the opposite way until centered below the left and middle spike, snug left straps, loosen right...
This pulls the rig uphill a couple inches at a time, the rig is always tied to the uphill side via 4 straps and 3 spikes.

confusing in text, I can draw a picture if need be...

That's about the same as what I was thinking just with the right and left anchors forward and rear of the vehicle to winch it at an angle closer to it's rolling path.
In that case though, it would probably be a better idea to have a center anchor point for the front and another for the rear, then winch at an uphill angle from anchor points forward and rear of the vehicle.

Lots of quality collaboration going on already. You guys are the best.

What if you run some ratchet straps on the drives side from axle to frame compressing the drivers side suspension and making the COG closer to the up hill side ? And keep the springs from unloading at any moment . Just thinking out loud/ brain storming wish I could help more

That's about the same as what I was thinking just with the right and left anchors forward and rear of the vehicle to winch it at an angle closer to it's rolling path.
In that case though, it would probably be a better idea to have a center anchor point for the front and another for the rear, then winch at an uphill angle from anchor points forward and rear of the vehicle.

Lots of quality collaboration going on already. You guys are the best.

On the blazer recovery, we didn't go forward at all because the narrowness of the trail combined with the sideways steepness are what caused it to go off in the first place. Does that apply here? Understanding what caused it to go off will help to not repeat the mistake. If it was driver error, that's ok (btdt) but it's good to know that vs the trail being just too steep/narrow/etc to support a vehicle.

flexyfool

GDW
Wow. I'm amazed at the generosity of the SLC 4x4 community!

My 2 cents worth: Think through the rigging and vastly overbuild it so you don't have to do it more than once. Use the belaying techniques suggested by Zam Man. Use many of the rebar spikes strung together in a line. Maybe 4? Once that high-side anchor point is built, a snatch block and winch attached to it pulling up and a 2nd winch pulling back should get the truck out of there real easy and safely.

Not sure if this will help But it gives an idea for some anchor systems and what they are rated at. With the 3 2 1 it is wrong in the picture.The one with 3 is in the front toward your load.View attachment 83477View attachment 83478

snwbrdr852

On the blazer recovery, we didn't go forward at all because the narrowness of the trail combined with the sideways steepness are what caused it to go off in the first place. Does that apply here? Understanding what caused it to go off will help to not repeat the mistake. If it was driver error, that's ok (btdt) but it's good to know that vs the trail being just too steep/narrow/etc to support a vehicle.

No you're right - it needs to end up towards the rear. Getting it forward of its position would mean having to deal with the same spot again.
The reason I say winch forward and rear is just to take advantage of the pendulum travel, bringing it back uphill a little bit at a time. But it's just a thought... It certainly doesn't have to be done that way.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Good luck guys! Be safe out there, I have no doubt you guys can pull this off. Wish I could be there but I'm leaving on a jet plane as they say.

snwbrdr852

Steve, I was just re-reading and realized when I saw the name Cheryl Butler that I know exactly who she is... Used to work with her husband. She always seemed nice, but I didn't really care for him though, haha.

gcb17

I may be able to make it out there Friday AM, and if so I'd love to lend a hand (straps, shovels, fencepost pounder, shackles, ect...)

I don't know too much about that area. How far from the interstate to Tibble (Reservoir?)? How far from there to the 4Runner? And I guess there's no issue leaving a tow rig/trailer in the parking lot?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
This will be too fun to miss. I have a (home made) post slammer, and a t-post extractor (don't know if it will work on rebar though.. Probably could if the t is welded on) that I can add to the tools.
I think I will ride my dirt bike up to keep rigs down, and to provide really fast mobility up or down MEG.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My 2 cents worth: Think through the rigging and vastly overbuild it so you don't have to do it more than once. Use the belaying techniques suggested by Zam Man. Use many of the rebar spikes strung together in a line. Maybe 4? Once that high-side anchor point is built, a snatch block and winch attached to it pulling up and a 2nd winch pulling back should get the truck out of there real easy and safely.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Assuming we can get the rebar anchored good on the high side, It should only take two winches, one to hold it up and the other to pull it back. Once we have gone back a few feet, the hold up winch then hooks in to the the next anchor that was also placed back a few feet from the first.

Or maybe we use a different winch for each of the anchor points used so the first winch does not need to be disconnected until the next winch is holding the load.

I may be able to make it out there Friday AM, and if so I'd love to lend a hand (straps, shovels, fencepost pounder, shackles, ect...)

I don't know too much about that area. How far from the interstate to Tibble (Reservoir?)? How far from there to the 4Runner? And I guess there's no issue leaving a tow rig/trailer in the parking lot?

Tibble is about 20 minutes off I15 up AF canyon. You will have little problem parking a tow rig.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Wow! You guys rock. Bart told me about this earlier, this is my first chance to log in. Unfortunately, work commitments will (likely) keep me off the mountain on Friday.

Several good ideas mentioned. We did a rescue of a blazer in the same situation a few years ago, and anchoring uphill in multiple places as suggested was the trick, then we SLOWLY pulled it backward up onto the trail. There were multiple winch rigs behind each other, with their cables going up to the anchor points and back down to the stuck rig. Always thinking about the next re-rigging is key, especially if the first/front winch has outlived it's usefulness.

This is a pretty good idea. You can also replace the ratchet straps with winches (if they can reach from vehicles behind the stuck vehicle) or GOOD come-alongs.

This is similar to what we did, but rather than move it forward again though, re-rig and continue to pull it back, pulling it up onto the trail in the process. Several stakes up on the hill and multiple winches/straps/come-alongs are key here. Just inch it back onto the trail.

Davy, I have Glenn's pull-pal I can drop off tomorrow if that's ok, I'd like to pick up those axle shafts too. I have a length of cable I can bring too. It's seen some triple snatch rigging a time or two. 2 snatch blocks as well, give them to Dempsey afterwards.

Good luck everyone, play it safe.

Here's my contribution: CB channel 4 :D

Yeah drop it off. If I am not home you can put it somewhere safe and let Mel is where that is. Feel free to grab the axle shafts even if I am not home.

P.s. Bart, if you need help equalizing the anchors my rock climbing rigging experience might help.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
This is gonna roll out one of two ways:

1) everybody shows up and we have enough people and equipment to recover an armored division or
2) everybody assumes it's taken care of and we end up with one guy on a bicycle with a ball of twine...

:D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Sounds like we'll have enough guys to just lift it out. I'll bring some twine just in case though.

Bart

Yeah drop it off. If I am not home you can put it somewhere safe and let Mel is where that is. Feel free to grab the axle shafts even if I am not home.

P.s. Bart, if you need help equalizing the anchors my rock climbing rigging experience might help.

Looking forward to having you there Davy. Love the suggestions. Can't wait until Friday.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm very confident we will have more than enough people and with all the combined gear we will get it done.

Made me think of this
[video=youtube_share;kbW5sxyu9bU]http://youtu.be/kbW5sxyu9bU?t=7s[/video]