A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The stakes came out and Josh generously offered them to whoever was interested.

I still have 3 left if anyone wants them. Free to anyone, but Steve who has to pay me $50 each, since it was his idea that I go in to business building them. :D

I have to say, I think the best part of the day was taking snwbrdr852 up there today. Once we got just above the tree line to the point where you could almost see the 4 runner way in the distance, I could see he was getting pretty nervous. Then as we rounded a corner, we could barley see it, but we knew it was still hanging on. There was a huge sigh of relief. It was pretty cool.
The rest was a cake walk.

John, let me know you schedule. We can meet up and I can give you the drill back.

Come get these anchors before I scrap them.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
John, let me know you schedule. We can meet up and I can give you the drill back.

Come get these anchors before I scrap them.

I'm off tomorrow all day so I can swing down and get them if your free... and I would take a anchor or two if you have any left...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm off tomorrow all day so I can swing down and get them if your free... and I would take a anchor or two if you have any left...

That should be fine. I'll be gone from about noon till about 5pm. Probably early would be best, if that works for you. Just give me a call when you are on your way. I still have 3 anchors left. You can have all three if you want.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Nice Job. anyone have pictures of the rebar set up and being used?

I took a pretty basic picture that I put up a few pages back. I made 6 of them out of # 9 and 10 rebar. They're about 1 1/8 and I think 1 1/2" diameter bar. They were all close to 5' long. I used a torch to put a point on one end and then to cut the other end down to fit inside Johns hammer bit. Then just below that cut down end, I welded another bar about 5" long perpendicular to the main bar. This gave us something to grab onto when we pulled them out of the ground.

We placed anchors in such a way that we could run one winch to the rear of the frame on another winch to the front of the frame. For the rear frame winch, the ground was pretty soft for those anchors. We ended up tying three together to spread the load. They did their job perfect, but being in such soft dirt, I don't think they would have held the full weight of the rig. They would have just pulled through the ground. We used two anchors for the front winch. The anchor closest to the rig was angled down under a good sized rock, and was very solid. I think it would have been fine by itself. We then sunk another one behind it and tied the two together.

It was very nice to have the hammer drill for the one that went under that rock. It went in hard and slow. All the other anchors went in pretty easy with an 8 pound sledge. We ended up braking off or bending a few of the cut down ends with the hammer and one of the "T"s that I welded on. Some rebar is unweldable and I was just pulling stuff out of a scrap pile, so I didn't know what I was getting.

The rebar proved to be a pretty good option for an anchor. It could be easily attached to a frame section or rollbar to keep out of the way. You just need a decent hammer. I carry an 8 pound hammer most of the time with a short handle. I think it would work for most areas.

I didn't take any pictures, but I'm sure someone has a good one of how we did it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
A couple pics of the rebar being set:

IMAG0928_zps0f5ce88f.jpg

IMAG0930_zps01970d1c.jpg

It worked really really well. UNSTUCK was nice enough to give me one afterwards, I think I may start carrying it all the time. Much cheaper than a pull-pall. :)