Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Thanks, I'll tell her. She's really gaining a lot of confidence and getting good in front of (and behind) the camera. We are loving life. It's not without its challenges, but it's such a good fit for us. I don't miss home ownership one bit. We get to ride 3-4 days a week year-round. I've never been in better shape.

It's funny. My bike is only 18 months old, but it's got 5000 miles on it, and things are starting to wear out. it's at that point where it might be cheaper to sell this as a complete bike and buy a new one rather than replacing each part piece by piece. It's a great problem to have. Gloves, shoes, helmets, shorts, cassettes, bottom brackets all used to last me years. Not anymore.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Gotta get this off my chest... I demo'd a Santa Cruz 5010 X01 this morning. Did 2 loops on paradise rim and I'm in love. I guess I'm to the point in my life where more suspension travel does not equal more fun? The thing was a total riot, it loved to climb and corner, was solid descending, and was just overall a ton of fun. Makes me want to do more bike demos!!!

sixstringsteve

The 5010 is the most fun bike I've ever ridden, provided you aren't in some insane chunk. I don't know why it's such an underrated bike, but it's anazing. I totally agree though, too much travel can definitely ruin the handling of a bike. If you liked the 5010, mtbyumyum says the new tallboy v3 is every bit as fun, but a little faster due to the 29er wheels. Im not a 29er fan, being so short, but I've been dying to try a tallboy with the plus tires.

I recently got new wheels and I'm running 2.6 tires on the rear if my Bronson and a 2.8 up front. For corner canyon and slc trails, wider tires aren't really a huge benefit. But for Colorado, Moab, as, etc. where you have a bunch if sharo, square rocks, the wide tires really help you maintain your momentum.

sixstringsteve

I've ridden one around a parking lot. It's a really cool bike. REALLY cool. Still a bit big for me with those wheels but I'm so glad bikes like the stache exist.

sixstringsteve

I've been thinking about bike sizing and wheel sizes lately. I've got too many friends under 5'3" riding 29ers and crashing because they're either clipping their foot on the front tire when they turn (due to the short top tube), bumbling around corners, or they're having a tough time just handling it, whether it be switchbacks, getting on and off, or even loading it into the car.

So here's my crazy "logic."

Someone 5 feet tall (60") would fit best on a 26" wheel max in my opinion. This allows for ebery meausrement to ve smaller: chainstay, top tube, standoverstandover, and the front tire is smaller, so they won't clip it while turning. They'd be lower to the ground, have more standover clearance, and be able to have more confidence and be able to handle the bike better.

Now, I realize 26" isn't popular anymore (except at rampage and all slopestyle events), but I think it still has a place, especially for small riders (kids, women, small dudes, etc.) Dividing their tire size by height, we see that their wheels are 43% of their height for a 5'0" rider on a 26.

So let's take someone 6'3" (75"). I'm oversimplifying , but 43% of their height would put them on a 32.5" wheel. That's a HUGE difference. Imagine riding around with a 32.5" wheel. It would affect a lot of things. It would roll faster, but switchbacks would be insane. Wheelbase would need to be insane or you'd hit your feet on the front wheel. Getting on and off would be tricky. Jumping, wheelies, manuals would be very different. Your chainstays would be a mile long. And that's just got a hardtail. Imagine designing a 32.5" wheel to still have clearance after 4-6" of uptravel.

So here's a little more analysis. With the 43% ratio
5'0 on 26" wheels = 43% of their height
5'6 = 28.6" wheels
6' = 31.2" wheels
6'5= 33.3" wheels

5'0 on 650b wheels = 46% of their height
5'6 = 30.3" wheels
6' = 33.1" wheels
6'5= 35 4" wheels

5'0 on 29" wheels = 48% of their height
5'6 = 31.9" wheels
6' = 34.6" wheels
6'5= 36" wheels

Looking at these numbers, even a 26" wheel seems a little big for someone 5' tall.

I'm oversimplifying, and there's more that goes into this than height, but it's obvious that some wheel sizes suit different heights better. Someone 5'0 rissong a 29er is like someone 6'5 riding a 36er.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I get why bike companies stick to One wheel size per frame. It'd be a mess and it would cost a fortune. But it would be ciol to see small frames with a 26" wheel, medium with a 650b option and larges and XLs with 29.

Just taking the same calculations and applying them to chainstays, we'd have a massive difference in what a small rider and a tall rider need. Some companies (spot, among others) are offering longer chainstay lengths for taller riders. A lot of my tall friends can manual no matter what size their chainstays, but most short guys really struggle with anything linger than 17". Not just manuals, but turns, jumps, etc.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Mmm, you said 36" wheels.

That would be insane for a trail bike and utterly unwieldy, but what about on a rigid? I feel like a tire width of 4 to 6 inches on a 30+ wheel would make the ultimate cross country/utility/bikepackermobile/fat bike for the discerning clyde. I'm drooling. I was pretty sure I wanted a Krampus in my quiver, but now your math has me thinking it won't be enough. :D

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've seen them on line, I know lots of riders love them. I'd have to ride one before I could judge, but I feel like that's a lot of scratch for a bike with a very specific capability set. Same for the DirtySixer, really, so cool but I can't imagine trying to pilot that thing around Corner Canyon, much less Fruita or Moab trails. I think I'd get more out of a Krampus or Timberjack.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Interesting logic on tire size, I've never really given 29ers much of a chance even though I'm 6'1" and usually on an XL frame. 650b seems most comfortable for me. I also need to get around trying plus size tires. I just wish there was a good way to test ride bikes more.

sixstringsteve

I recommend heading to outerbike in March. It's $200, but you get to ride almost every bike on the market for 3 days straight. There is food, sram mechanics on hand who will rebuild your brakes, forks, and droppers for free, and tons of good times. Worth every penny, considering it costs $90-100 to rent a single bike for one day anywhere else.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Shameless plug for my wife's channel here, but she gives an overview of outerbike.

[video]https://youtube/gnlVBH0JEmI[/video]

And here are some tips she has for people attending.

[video]youtube.com/watch?v=0Kl9RuUxZOA[/video]

I think we might be at outerbike again in March we'll see.

Last edited:

Samersen

Talking about wheel size, a shop in PC just built this for an old Jazz player https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbk_7bIgos1/?hl=en&taken-by=stormcyclespc I thought it was pretty neat! To weigh in on the wheel size convo, I have not noticed that much of a difference going from a 26 to 27.5 tp 29 and back. I have noticed that the 29ers have gotten way better geo these last few years, when I first rode one in 2009-2010ish it felt like a giant... (I kinda am I am 6'4")

Steve I have watched *I think* all of your wife's videos they are very cool and its nice to get a "normal" person's views on things. Sometimes I watch BKXC, Seth Hacks, Nate Hills and the like and think mmmm what it would be like to be pro. Its awesome to see her view on things! and give me a heads up for when I take my wife on trails. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!